3 Godfathers (1948)

There are 99 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 144,564 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• H.sanada, thank you for sharing your collection with us! How long have you been collecting?

Mrs. C :angel1:

Hello Mrs.C,
    I am a baby boom generation born Dec.1946.
    As i already mentioned in other threads,The revival(re-release)boom of western films
    occurred in Japan at the beginning of 60's.
    Therefore,I fortunately the majority of the masterpieces of the western were able to
    be seen in the thetre. Ofcource almost of them was JW movies.
    My collection started in those days about 50 years ago. Oh,Time flies.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Hello H Sanada time indeed waits for none of us. how ofton are westerns played on tv in Japan these days?

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hello H Sanada time indeed waits for none of us. how ofton are westerns played on tv in Japan these days?

Hello kilo6,
    In these days,i had seen many western films in the theater.
    and on TV,theater films are relleased not often,but, TV western dorama were
    broadcasted everyday. Rawhide,Gunsmoke,Cheynne,Bonanza,Have gun will travel,
    Wanted dead or alive.....etc.

cheers,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Dan Blocker the chap who played Hoss on Bonanza owned a ranch about twenty miles from me and it was always kept in impressive shape when he was the owner.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I watched this movie again today. It becomes more rich with each viewing. Having just read through this whole thread, I won't repeat our previous observations (which I made in my own mind again today).

I didn't see anything in this thread to indicate whether Harry Carey Jr. did his own singing, so via his website, I sent an email asking if it was him (and complimenting him on his fine singing). I got a reply within an hour, in which he said he did, indeed, do his own singing for the film!

He also shared that, as you might expect, the baby was played by two different babies, who were VERY young, so were allowed only short times on camera at any one time. Amelia Yelda is credited (as uncredited) with the role. I wonder who the other baby was, and how it was decided which name was used.

dukefan1, after reading your post about the book, I hustled over to Amazon and bought myself a copy. I look forward to reading it.

• Mark, the quote from the book refers to "the Worst Bad Man." Do the godfathers not have names in the book? I know I keep asking this question . . . but how does the movie measure up to the book?

dukefan1, after reading your post about the book, I hustled over to Amazon and bought myself a copy. I look forward to reading it.

Now that I have my own copy of that little green book (although, based on the photo, yours is much nicer than mine) and have read it, I can say I very much enjoyed reading it, some of the dialogue IS right out of the book, and the movie measured up to the book quite well. It was such a short book that the sub-plots helped to flesh out the movie to a full-length picture. And they fit in very well with the story. The screen writer did an excellent job.

• He also shared that, as you might expect, the baby was played by two different babies, who were VERY young, so were allowed only short times on camera at any one time. Amelia Yelda is credited (as uncredited) with the role. I wonder who the other baby was, and how it was decided which name was used.

Mrs.C
    I found rare photo.
    this photo of two babies was taken in the location of Three Godfathers in 1936.
    Perhaps in Ford's 3 Godfathers, Two babies were casting,i think.
    it might be not unnatural.
    one is Amelia Yelda and another is her double(boy?).
    regards
    Taka

• Taka,

thanks for this post and the photo.
    Well this baby is a girl,
    then from the cast list it looks like
    her sister, even twin
    Emilia Grace Yelda is credited as playing Robert.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• this film was different to any jw i ve watched before but i enjoyed it. maybe a bit too much plodding thru the desert but a good story nonetheless.
    i enjoyed the singing and the biblical references. does anyone know btw if the babies in the film went on to do any acting later on?

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• does anyone know btw if the babies in the film went on to do any acting later on?

Sarah,

The part of Robert William Pedro Hightower (the Baby boy)
    was in fact played by a GIRL!
    Emilia Grace Yelda also known as Amelia Yelda.

As far as I know, she did not go on to make any further movies,
    or anything else of note.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• thanks keith
    i wondered if i should be looking out for her in anything else
    i wonder what she did go and and become

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Taka,

Obviously, shortly after you posted that photo, we must have been away from the board long enough that I didn't see your post the first time around. What a neat picture, and it must be quite rare indeed! Thank you so much for sharing it, and I'm glad I finally got to see it.

• Just watched this on TCM. I had not seen "3 Godfathers" before. It turned out to be very entertaining. Loved Ward Bond's part in this and found another facet of John Wayne's acting (which doubters claim didn't exist).

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"