There are 149 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 126,442 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• watched McQ just now and it's a decent film but like i've said before it's behind Brannigan in my opinion

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• i really enjoyed this film - it was easy to get into, the story line was good and, for me, john wayne is at his magnificent best when he is playing the lone hero, doing things his way.

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• I got the McQ DVD for Christmas as well as the soundtrack. It's good to see Duke in an updated setting, and the on-location shooting in Seattle is a plus, too. I'll bet the area has changed a lot since 1974!

I like those early-70s urban crime dramas, like Bullitt and Dirty Harry and I'm glad that Duke got the chance to try his hand at it. Between Billitt, Callahan, and Lon McQ, the Pacific Northwest was in good hands as far as cleaning up criminals!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• "McQ," and "Brannigan" are two grossly underrated John Wayne movies in my opinion, if anyone gets an opportunity try to catch these movies again.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• "McQ," and "Brannigan" are two grossly underrated John Wayne movies in my opinion, if anyone gets an opportunity try to catch these movies again.:agent:

My sentiments exactly, Robbie. For various reasons, some fans don't like these two contemporary films of Duke's, but his presence simply makes them good!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I've seen McQ many times, but Brannigan maybe once, and that was years ago. I have a jpeg of the poster that is quite impressive! I'll try and post it in the Brannigan thread.

And yes, these Duke cop movies are grossly underrated! If a younger, "hipper" actor of that era had played those characters, the view of those movies would be quite different!

And let's not forget who was asked to play Dirty Harry way before Clint made it his career-defining role. Duke was definitely regretting that decision to pass on Dirty Harry.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

And let's not forget who was asked to play Dirty Harry way before Clint made it his career-defining role. Duke was definitely regretting that decision to pass on Dirty Harry.

Firstly not quite sure about what you mean by a hipper actor LOL

secondly not sure I agree with this JW said a few times he was gald he turned down the role cos he did not like the violence and language that had crept into films by then.

just my thoughts on the subject

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Firstly not quite sure about what you mean by a hipper actor LOL

secondly not sure I agree with this JW said a few times he was gald he turned down the role cos he did not like the violence and language that had crept into films by then.

just my thoughts on the subject

Notice that I put "hipper" in quotes...hipper-- meaning a trendy, flavor-of-the-month actor circa 1974.

And if Duke didn't agree initially with the DH content, he didn't waste any time starring in a knock-off of same. I'm still glad that he did, though, as McQ is a favorite Duke film of mine.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."