Pinned John Ford- Biography & DIscussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 173 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• Well, I just finished watching the PBS American Masters documentary and it was great. I am glad it was included on this box set and am very happy that I "sprung" for the whole set.

I didn't get a chance to watch Stagecoasch because I wanted to watch the PBS special. As soon as I do I will let you know what it looks like compared to the original DVD that I have.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne
    • Thanks Rob! I was hoping that special would be on it. I had a grainy copy of it on VHS and have always hoped I could get a better copy. You're right, it is a very good little documentary.

By the way Waynamo Jim, I picked up the Sacketts DVD at Walmart for $19.98 just a couple of days ago, so you might check there. Good luck.

Best,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Originally posted by Robhightower474@Jun 7 2006, 06:29 PM
      Did anyone buy the box set last week that featured Pittsburg, 7 Sinners & Shephard of the Hills?

Rob
      [snapback]31953[/snapback]

I picked it up the day it was released. So far, I've watched 'The Shepherd Of The Hills', and it looks awesome! Universal did a very nice job of bringing this classic film to DVD. I started watching 'The Conqueror', but found that it did not look or sound as good as my Goodtimes version. Possibly because Universal decided to put these movies on DVD-9 format, which increases compression.

Still, at roughly $19 for this box set, it's worth it alone just for 'Shepherd'!
    • Originally posted by Colorado Bob@Jun 8 2006, 07:32 AM
      Thanks Rob! I was hoping that special would be on it. I had a grainy copy of it on VHS and have always hoped I could get a better copy. You're right, it is a very good little documentary.

By the way Waynamo  Jim, I picked up the Sacketts DVD at Walmart for $19.98 just a couple of days ago, so you might check there. Good luck.

Best,
      Colorado Bob
      [snapback]31976[/snapback]

You have a expensive Wal-Mart in your area. I saw both The Sacketts and Rough Riders for 13.98 regulare price at our Wal-Mart.
      -John Wayne
    • Originally posted by SXViper@Jun 8 2006, 05:16 PM
      You have a expensive Wal-Mart in your area. I saw both The Sacketts and Rough Riders for 13.98 regulare price at our Wal-Mart.
      [snapback]31990[/snapback]

I always thought Wal-mart's had universal pricing. I guess not. Oh well, it's still a good movie, and my VHS was about wore out.
      Best,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • I just finished the set yesterday (man did I go through that set quickly - did it in about a week!), and I've got to say - WOW!!!

I had never seen Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Wings of Eagles, or The Long Voyage Home before, so this was a great treat for me.

The only one that I was a little let down by was The Long Voyage Home. The Duke really seemed miscast, and Ford didn't really use him all that much in it. The movie itself was erratically paced (which makes sense since it was based on 4 separate short stories), and the last segment was painfully slow and obvious in spots. The movie had it's moments, though (I don't want to give anything away, so I won't give specifics), and it was very well acted.

As for Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - Grade A+ movies to be sure. Fort Apache is definitely darker - a real precursor to the tone of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - and it more Henry Fonda's movie than John Wayne's (although both are great in it). Both of those movies were worth the wait. No letdowns there at all (and I had HIGH expectations going in).

The "Ultimate" edition of The Searchers is the real prize in the set. $29.99 on it's own at Target or Best Buy, but I got the entire set from Amazon for only $55!! While I was a little let down by the extras on The Searchers (I thought that for an "Ultimate" edition it should have had more), it is still a VERY classy set, and the movie itself is one of the best ever. I liked it more the third time. (I had seen it twice before - loved it the first time, liked it a lot the second time, and really loved it the third time - I "get it" now.)

The two disc set of Stagecoach has the kind of extras I was hoping that The Searchers would have - more in depth and informative stuff. Of course, Stagecoach is Stagecoach - 'nuff said!!

This is just proof that Warner Brothers releases the best classic box sets of all the major studios. A fantastic job.

If you don't have the set, and can swing the $55 or so - get it!!
    • Originally posted by B5Erik@Jun 25 2006, 11:24 PM
      The only one that I was a little let down by was The Long Voyage Home.  The Duke really seemed miscast, and Ford didn't really use him all that much in it.  The movie itself was erratically paced (which makes sense since it was based on 4 separate short stories), and the last segment was painfully slow and obvious in spots.  The movie had it's moments, though (I don't want to give anything away, so I won't give specifics), and it was very well acted.

erik - I agree with you, this 10-disc set from Warners is TOP-NOTCH! As for 'The Long Voyage Home', I felt the same way as you after watching it for the first time. Seeing how John Wayne is plastered all over the artwork on the movie poster, you'd think he had the starring role...while in actuality, it's an emsemble piece. I think you will find yourself appreciating the film more and more on subsequent viewings. The cinematography by Gregg Toland is breath-takingly beautiful, and the actors are excellent in their roles.

As for me, I've only had a chance to watch 'The Long Voyage Home', 'Fort Apache', and 'The Wings Of Eagles' from the set so far (lots going on this summer). I'm looking forward to watching 'The Seachers' and 'Stagecoach' next. After reading all the rave reviews on the restoration job of 'The Searchers', I know I'm in for a real treat!
    • Howdy All,
      I picked up my set about a week ago, and I'm still going through all the special features. I can't believe everything that comes with this set. It is absolutely amazing, and I would very definitely recommend it for inclusion in anyone's John Wayne collection. I love it.
      Best,
      Colorado Bob
    • I just got my "The Searchers" movie poster in the mail yesterday, it was free except for postage and handling. All I will say is WOW. Even my wife and kids who usually could care less about the little memorbilia things said, "What a nice looking poster". Well, now I have to save my pennies as it will be rather expensive to frame this one, its allot bigger then I was expecting, but I think it will be worth it.
      -John Wayne