The High And The Mighty (1954)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 92 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• I just watched it and found it to be very enjoyable. Perhaps it's a little too long though. At 148 minutes, it kept my attention, but just barely. (I'm a part of the short attention span generation!) I think it was a pretty good ensemble cast, and the duke wasn't in it for every scene which was something different.

It reminds me a bit of the tv show lost. (If your unfamiliar, I'll give a tiny recap) A plane flying from Australia to LA crashes on an uncharted island. Losts of weird things happen. But half of every episode are flashbacks. In the first season they mostly showed what the people were doing before they boarded the plane. A lot of times the flashbacks ended with them actually at the airport. So I see a similarity there.
      [SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]
    • Re: The High And The Mighty (1954)

Hi Arthur

I think two factors score against High & Mighty both of which are not it's fault.

The movie really doesnt get much air play on TV and is difficult to get unless on Region 1 DVD. This means a lot of John Wayne fans havent seen it. Island in the Sky is the other movie that comes to mind in that category.

The second factor I suppose against it is that it is not the usual John Wayne fare that we all know and recognise.

That said it is a good movie although when compiling 25 favourites it is easy to fall into the trap of picking the most popular and well known.

This year. I included Tall in the Saddle which I have watched recently and thought it was worth including in my 25.

Mike

It was I who voted for THATM. I don't really know if its one thing that I can put my finger on that makes me like this movie. Yes, it has its flaws. I think one of the things is that it has a strong character development. I like to see a movie where they give us the people's story, that way I can actually care about what might or is happening to them. The other thing is that its not Duke's typical roll. The first time I watched it, it was very refreshing to see John Wayne in this type of roll.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne

True, this was not a typical John Wayne picture. It was one of the first that becamed identified an "ensemble" movie, but Duke was still the primary focus. Wayne was one of the producers on "The High and the Mighty," so he was in at the earliest stages of getting the movie made. If you think about it, Duke was responsible for a lot of innovation in the movie industry.
      Cheers - Jay:beer:

Hi

For its day besides John Wayne as Dan Roman it boasted a very good supporting cast including:-

Robert Stack as Captain John Sullivan -Whose nerves of steel were starting to rust
      Claire Trevor as May Holst - Strictly a night-time woman
      Laraine Day - Low as High Society could get

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      • various 040.jpg

(24.1 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
      • various 036.jpg

(25.47 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
      • various 025.jpg

(43.41 kB, downloaded 4 times, last: )
      • various 024.jpg

(25.33 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

It also included Jan Sterling (who would win the Academy Best Supporting actress Award for her role of Sally McKee - 'who lived in a world of whistles'

Ed Harris as Ed Joseph - a gag man who should have been wearing one

and Robert Newton - A 'ham' caught with his hair down.

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      • various 021.jpg

(52.82 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      • various 022.jpg

(23.28 kB, downloaded 21 times, last: )
      • various 035.jpg

(33.13 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Other passengers included:

David Brian as Kent a collector of other mens wives

John Qualen as Jose Locota

and Sidney Blackmer as Humphrey Agnew a man bent on revenge.

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      • various 034.jpg

(18.58 kB, downloaded 20 times, last: )
      • various 019.jpg

(33.48 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      • various 038.jpg

(38.16 kB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

arthurarnell wrote:

Hi

It also included Jan Sterling (who would win the Academy Best Supporting actress Award for her role of Sally McKee

Sorry, Arthur, but Eva Marie Saint won the Best Supporting actress Award for On the Waterfront. Jan Sterling and Claire Trevor both recieved nomination for The High and the Mighty, though.

When in doubt, you can always look it up here.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

Hi

My mistake that what comes of relying on the memory.

Among the passengers was

Paul Kelly playing Donald Flaherty the scientist
      John Howard as Howard Rice
      and
      Paul Fix as Frank Briscoe

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      • various 020.jpg

(56.17 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      • various 033.jpg

(21.95 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      • various 026.jpg

(71.45 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">