The High And The Mighty (1954)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 92 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The High And The Mighty (1954)

Hi

Other passengers were

Doe Avedon as Miss Spalding Her film career was brief comprising a handful of pictures
      before she married the film Director Don Siegal.

Karen Sharp Kramer as newly married Nell Buck.

Try as I could I couldn,t find a photo of Milo Buck played by John Smith.

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Two of the Male Members of the crew

William Campbell as Hobie Wheeler

and

Wally Brown as the Navigator Lenny Wilby

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

The collection is completed with the additions of

Pedro Gonzales Gonzales as Gonzales
      Douglas Fowley as Alsop

and

Regis Toomey as Tim Garfield

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      • various 039.jpg

(28.12 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      • various 030.jpg

(35.47 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      • various 029.jpg

(47.03 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

This has always been one of my favorite of the Duke's films, even though at times it grows wearisome, like the flight itself. I flew the same route in reverse, from Travis AFB outside of 'Frisco in 1963 to Hickam in Hawaii in a prop-driven MATS C-118 flown by my Dad. Luckily I was just 10 and the seats were for adults, so I could move freely around in it during the 8-hour flight. The only diversions were the meals, just cold box lunches, and the roar of the 4 engines made it almost impossible to talk; you had to shout to make yourself heard. I can still smell the interior of the C-118, metal, old upholstery, av gas, all in an un-plasticized, un-pressurized, un-airconditioned aircraft. If you had a window seat and the plane flew north or south and the sun was on your side, you baked during your flight!

While the movie faithfully follow Gann's book, there are some scenes I wish they had not added, like Joyce Chen's simpering "Dumb bunny, dumb bunny..." it makes you want to shake her. I much prefer her smart-aleck busy-body Chinese servant to Betty Bacall ("Sailor-man clazy, you ling bell, I come chop chop!!) in "Blood Alley"!

But I still choke back the tears as the relieved passengers disembark in 'Frisco to the joyous paen of Tiompkin's orchestra, especially when Milo & Nell meet her parents. If it were me, I would have gotten down and kissed the concrete runway! (And I got the new DVD when it came out last year, and enjoyed it again & again, from Tiompkin's soaring, wonderful score to the whistling ancient pelican sauntering down the ramp.)

I saw this one for the first time about 30 years ago. I remember liking it then and when AMC "world premiered" it, I looked forward to nothing else but watching it again. Being it was so long ago when I first saw it, it was like watching it for the first time for me. I have to say I really liked it but, I favor Island in the Sky over this one.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

I watched THATM for the first time last night. While I will say it wasn't what I expected it still was a good film. The best performances IMO were from The Duke & Robert Stack - which is why I tuned in to watch it. The only real problem I saw with it was that it was very long, and some of the parts of the actual flight I didn't feel were needed :)

Either way, I enjoyed it, to see your two favourite actors working together is always enjoyable.
      The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last night after another long day I sat infront of the 'box' with a glass of 'medicine' and looked for anything half decent to watch. THATM had just started on Sky, so the phones were switched off.

I enjoyed it, but as has been stated before, somewhat long. I think if a few more seat gripping tense moment had been included it would have been better. It tended to just drift along quietly, and the ending seemed like they ran out of ideas.

Why was Duke limping?

Bob

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">