The High And The Mighty (1954)

There are 94 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 112,622 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I saw this one for the first time about 30 years ago. I remember liking it then and when AMC "world premiered" it, I looked forward to nothing else but watching it again. Being it was so long ago when I first saw it, it was like watching it for the first time for me. I have to say I really liked it but, I favor Island in the Sky over this one.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I watched THATM for the first time last night. While I will say it wasn't what I expected it still was a good film. The best performances IMO were from The Duke & Robert Stack - which is why I tuned in to watch it. The only real problem I saw with it was that it was very long, and some of the parts of the actual flight I didn't feel were needed :)

Either way, I enjoyed it, to see your two favourite actors working together is always enjoyable.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I think anyone who has been on a flight with problems like heavy turbulence can relate to this film.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Last night after another long day I sat infront of the 'box' with a glass of 'medicine' and looked for anything half decent to watch. THATM had just started on Sky, so the phones were switched off.

I enjoyed it, but as has been stated before, somewhat long. I think if a few more seat gripping tense moment had been included it would have been better. It tended to just drift along quietly, and the ending seemed like they ran out of ideas.

Why was Duke limping?

Bob

• he limped from a injury from a previous plane accident, that haunted him.:teeth_smile:

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"

• Am I the only one who felt that Duke just wasn't OLD enough to be getting all the "old man" treatment in the film? He's great, actually everyone does a great job, but all those comments were distracting since Duke obviously wasn't old enough for that description.

• i m confused as to whether i like this film or not - i bought it for £8 in HMV (a double disc including the making of) - i was really excited to watch it, but the film seemed to drift by with not enough suspense in general and not enough John Wayne action at all.
    the music was the best part of the film. does anyone know what john wayne's thoughts on this film were? did he enjoy making it?
    was robert stack later in airplane by the way?

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• having said that though, the 2 hours 20 minutes the film lasted, absolutely flew by - it was just that i kept waiting for something to happen and it never really did

Hooked on The Duke

• Hi Badger

John Wayne wasn't due to make the High and the Mighty i think Spencer tracy was scheduled to make it but pulled out at the last minute.

Robert Stack later appeared in airplane playing the role that Sterling hayden played in a similar film the name of which I can't remember at the moment but starred Dana Andrews.

Airplane was based on the High and the Mighty and the Dana Andrew movie.

The problem with The High and the Mighty was that it had achieved cult status. Not many people had seen it and with the mystery of its non appearance for so long everyone wanted to see it.

In an early post I commented that I hope people would,nt be disappointed when it finally came out as although a good film it wasn't a great one.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• hi arthur
    since then, i have watched the 2nd part of the double dvd. i liked it a whole lot better than the film. i enjoyed the making of the film and i took on board that it was a film made in the early 1950s, before such films as "airplane" and also the wide screen element to it as well.
    TBH, I would have paid £8 to watch the tv trailer alone that duke put out, and i have never read the book, so i was only watching it cold as a film of today.
    just for me, there wasnt enough john wayne action .
    all he seemed to do was steer the plane and because we knew that duke, being duke, all would be well, it kind of made the film drag a bit to its conclusion. having said that, i also saw the effort put in to making it a film for today and i am very grateful for that

Hooked on The Duke

• That movie you're thinking of, Arthur, is called Zero Hour. Dana Andrews plays Lt. Stryker, same name as Robert Hays character in Airplane. Sterling Hayden is also in it along with a good cast. And just like Airplane, the crew and passengers get sick and another pilot on board has to take over. Dana Andrews was also in a similar movie a couple of years later called The Crowded Sky. It's about two planes on a collision course and the passengers and crew from each reflecting on their lives.

• Hi Jim

Thanks for that I can never remember the name of that film, but although made on the cheap I think it set the trend for nearly all the other disaster airplane films.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I saw the book "The High and Mighty" was for sale on Ebay. Has anyone here read it and if so does anyone recommend it as a good read?

Hooked on The Duke