Harry Carey Jr.

There are 148 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 147,573 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Saw this posted on another mailinglist:

Just got the news that Dobie Carey passed away yesterday.

My personal thoughts and remembrances of this great guy will always be special to me, as was the few hours I spent with him in his home in Durango, Colorado in 1996.

Thanks for the memories, Dobie!

• It is confirmed, and so very sad.
    Harry had written a couple of notes,
    to me personally, and so I feel deeply
    about his passing.

He was gentlemen a fine actor and a credit to the movie industry.

He will be sadly missed

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• It is confirmed, and so very sad.
    Harry had written a couple of notes,
    to me personally, and so I feel deeply
    about his passing.

He was gentlemen a fine actor and a credit to the movie industry.

He will be sadly missed

I bought his book back in the 90's and had the inside cover signed.

• Was afraid that was coming. The kids moved them into a home a couple of years ago, I think. Remember when it was announced. Another one bites the dust but joins our heroes in the sky! MAN, there is MOST of Pappy's Troop up there now! Maybe they are making movies for our trip up?

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Was afraid that was coming. The kids moved them into a home a couple of years ago, I think. Remember when it was announced. Another one bites the dust but joins our heroes in the sky! MAN, there is MOST of Pappy's Troop up there now! Maybe they are making movies for our trip up?

I think he is the last one to pass on from the original Ford Stock company, but I could be wrong.

• It has hit me again........he was not my favorite by far, but he was always there and lived a great deal longer than almost all of them. Ever notice that most died in their 70s or even before. Old Dobe made it to 91. Poor Marilyn. So glad she has her kids. I really DO miss you Dobe, sure do. KEITH

• This is indeed sad, and although I never met the man personally, I did correspond with him a few times. He was a fine actor, a wonderful singer, and a real gentleman. As I read of his passing, for some reason or another, my mind called up a snippet from Three Godfathers - Dobe singing "Shall We Gather At The River." Somehow seems appropriate. Adios Dobe. See ya on the other side of the river.

http://dukefanclub.weebly.com/…ey-passes-away-at-91.html

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• This is really sad news. Like LadyHawk, I've been expecting this for some time now.

He left a great legacy, and was VERY well liked by those who knew/worked with him (except for Howard Hawks - no big whoop), and he was a consummate professional.

As for the Ford Stock Company, I would personally consider Pat Wayne as a full-fledged member, as he worked with JF since he was about 10 until Ford's death.

I would also consider Maureen O'Hara one as well, considering the number of films she made with JF, even without Duke.

• so sad to hear that dobie carey has died.he was a fine actor,he's best performance was in the searchers.he will be missed.RIP mr carey

• As I read of his passing, for some reason or another, my mind called up a snippet from Three Godfathers - Dobe singing "Shall We Gather At The River." Somehow seems appropriate.

I swear, Bob! That's exactly what came into my head when I read the news. So sad, but like others have said, kind of expected for a time now. Rest in peace, Dobe. Say hello to Duke for us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• His book Company of Heroes is one of my all-time favorite movie books and I've read a lot of movie books. :)

I agree, and like Kevin and I am sure other members,
    I too have an autographed book.
    Great read, and just to remind everyone of
    Harry's legacy, here is our profile

COMPANY OF HEROES:
    My Life As An actor In The John Ford Stock Company

Harry Carey.Jr, (1994)

In my opinion, not only the best book about Ford, it’s also one of the best about Wayne as well.
    The long-time member of Ford’s Stock company tells it all. And it’s so much fun.

Product Description
    When Harry Carey, Sr. died in 1947, director John Ford cast
    Carey's 26-year-old son, Harry, Jr. in the role of The Abilene Kid in 3 Godfathers.
    Ford and the elder Carey had filmed an earlier version of the story,
    and Ford dedicated the Technicolor remake to his memory. "Company of Heroes"
    is the story of the making of that film, as well as the eight subsequent Ford classics.
    In it, Harry Carey, Jr. casts a remarkably observant eye on the process
    of filming Westerns by one of the true masters of the form.
    From She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and "Wagonmaster"
    to The Searchers and "Cheyenne Autumn",
    he shows the care, tedium, challenge, and exhilaration
    of movie-making at its highest level.
    Carey's portrayal of John Ford at work is the most intimate ever written
    He also gives us insightful and original portraits of the men and women
    who were part of Ford's vision of America:
    John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara,
    Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, and Ben Johnson.
    Funny, insightful, and brutally honest, "
    Company of Heroes
    is a rip-roaring good read that presents the remarkable life story of
    Harry Carey, Jr. and his many continuing fine performances.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Just learning of Dobe's passing - so sad, but as others have also suggested, not totally unexpected, considering his age. But for our group of fans, the 'great ones' are becoming less and less in number (alas, also to be expected!)

As for the Ford Stock Company, I would personally consider Pat Wayne as a full-fledged member, as he worked with JF since he was about 10 until Ford's death.

I would also consider Maureen O'Hara one as well, considering the number of films she made with JF, even without Duke.

I hadn't remembered about Patrick Wayne, but I was thinking of Maureen O'Hara as a surviving member of Ford's Stock Company.

May Mr. Carey rest in peace.

• This is indeed sad, and although I never met the man personally, I did correspond with him a few times. He was a fine actor, a wonderful singer, and a real gentleman. As I read of his passing, for some reason or another, my mind called up a snippet from Three Godfathers - Dobe singing "Shall We Gather At The River." Somehow seems appropriate. Adios Dobe. See ya on the other side of the river.

http://dukefanclub.weebly.com/…ey-passes-away-at-91.html

As you thought of Shall We Gather at the River, I thought of The Streets of Laredo which was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar and sing. He used that as a lullaby in Three Godfathers. KEITH