Harry Carey Jr.

There are 148 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 147,154 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• As you thought of Shall We Gather at the River, I thought of The Streets of Laredo which was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar and sing. He used that as a lullaby in Three Godfathers. KEITH

I know that he originally wanted to be a singer, but did not think he was good enough. Personally I think he had a very good singing voice.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Henry George "Dobe" Carey, Jr. (May 16, 1921 – December 27, 2012), known as Harry Carey, Jr., was an American actor. He appeared in over 90 films including several John Ford Westerns, as well as numerous television series.
    (bud)

"JOHN WAYNE AMERICAN"
    ======================

• I just watched him Sunday week ago on TCM in 3 Godfathers. What a great movie and seeing such an icon leave us is so sad. It saddens me to see them all go. And he was so good. Not the biggest actors out there, but seemed to have a big heart.

R.I.P. Dobe. You're walking to the sunset to see your dad, Duke, Pappy, and so many others. It is sad to see them go. What a life!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• a loss of a great actor...and the last of the wayne/ford cowboys..we have watched since we were kids...dobe sent me many a pcture and correspondence thru the years..always kind..and polite...i will treasure them..now that he has left us..as duke said...it's not how they bury you..it's how you're remembered...we will miss him and think of him often...he's gotta be happy now..back with wayne..ford..johnson..farnsworth..and the rest..all"gathered at thr river" r.i.p......yo' and to all of us..a very happy new year....best to all....the lawman

A Man..should know how to handle a gun..Use it with Discretion...:cowboy:

• Quote from tjslawman;123752

a loss of a great actor...and the last of the wayne/ford cowboys..we have watched since we were kids...dobe sent me many a pcture and correspondence thru the years..always kind..and polite...i will treasure them..now that he has left us..as duke said...it's not how they bury you..it's how you're remembered...we will miss him and think of him often...he's gotta be happy now..back with wayne..ford..johnson..farnsworth..and the rest..all"gathered at thr river" r.i.p......yo' and to all of us..a very happy new year....best to all....the lawman

Very well stated!

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner

• Peter Bogdanovich wrote a tribute for his memorial.

Harry Carey, Jr.—Dobe to his friends and family—was the son of one of the very first great Western stars, and now he has become the last of the cowboys from the Golden Age. Introduced to pictures by John Ford, who had been championed as a director by father Harry Carey before they did about 25 pictures together, the son soon became an attractive and charming Western star himself in such Ford classics as Three Godfathers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Wagon Master, Rio Grande, and The Searchers. He also made a remarkable impression in Howard Hawks’ first Western classic, Red River. And he has written with grace, humor and perception of his days on the Ford pictures in a loving memoir appropriately titled "Company of Heroes." He is now the last of that valiant company to “go West,” as Jack Ford used to put it.

I was privileged to know Dobe (nicknamed short for adobe because of his red hair) for nearly half a century, since we met on the set of Ford’s Cheyenne Autumn in Monument Valley in 1963. I was even more privileged to have Dobe in the cast of two pictures I directed, Nickelodeon in 1976, and Mask in 1985; he was terrific in each of these, and a joy to have around, a solid professional, but also a brilliantly deadpan, hilarious raconteur of the days of the giants in pictures. We also shot an amusing interview with Dobe in 2006 for my documentary, Directed by John Ford, and three years later we got together again and recorded a commentary track for the DVD release of Wagon Master; it was a wonderful time, seeing and hearing Dobe reacting to the movie—among his biggest roles too--as he watched it, and often very funny.
    Yet that’s always what he was like, funny and human, and gentle too. There just wasn’t a mean bone in his body. We spoke on the phone a few times, but the Wagon Master recording, I’m sorry to say, was the last time I saw Dobe. He was always encouraging, and eternally upbeat, with a boyish innocence to the end. He was one of a kind, and will always be missed as a loyal friend and collaborator.

Adios, Dobe, though I know your spirit will never die.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/pet…ast-cowboy-harry-carey-jr

• Wow, what a great tribute. Thanks for sharing this I hadn't seen this yet.

Kevin

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner

• Fantastic Tribute. Really moving.

I bought this recently. There was a Ben Johnson auto too but was outbid by a very keen fan!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I Just received this from my friend that went to Harry's memorial. He was such a kind man. Until a couple of years ago he would e-mail answers to questions people would ask him and was so personable about it. I remember him first in Rio Grande on the Morning Movie as a latch key kid in the early 50s and then Spin and Marty on the Mickey Mouse Club in the midle 50s. Me thinks we lost a Great American Treasure when Harry Carey Jr. got on the train to paradise.

Z1.jpg

• I Had some surgery done on my hand and am just now able to Put these togather to Post. My friend Gregg got these from Jennie Knudsen Who wrote the story "My Memories Of Dobe." I thought it was nice of her to allow me to share this with everyone. I hope you can read the article and the Obituary. If you click on the little picture you can magnify the article.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]3054

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]