Susan Hayward

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 26 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Fighting Seabees (1944)

Seeing these pics remind me of a story told about how Susan Hayward was so "enamored" of John Wayne, that she confronted Chata - Duke's 2nd wife - and (being slightly tipsy) challenged her to a fight, with the winner claiming final, and complete claim on him!

I've heard this from several QUITE reliable sources, and my only regret about the story is that I wasn't around to see it happen!

Never met Susan, but her son, Tim used to come to our Town Club where we had an Olympic sized pool with diving towers. Don't know if they were members, or if he was a guest of a member. He might have been going to school in Atlanta as Susan and her last husband who tragically died were living in Carrolton, GA. If she had the twins when she was between 20 and 25 or so, he might have been at GA. Tech. She was hospitalized at Emory University in Atlanta for a brain tumor. After mourning her husband for about 5 years, glad she was able to go back to work. I still cannot fathom why they lived in Carrolton, GA! But, she loved GA and was eventually buried there.

The Tennesseean wrote:

Seeing these pics remind me of a story told about how Susan Hayward was so "enamored" of John Wayne, that she confronted Chata - Duke's 2nd wife - and (being slightly tipsy) challenged her to a fight, with the winner claiming final, and complete claim on him!

I've heard this from several QUITE reliable sources, and my only regret about the story is that I wasn't around to see it happen!

I believe it was Pilar whom she challenged to a fight on the set of "The Conqueror". I also believe while making that movie during a love scene Duke was quite shocked at her being very full on an example being her shoving her tongue into Duke's mouth.
      Regards
      Robbie

arthurarnell wrote:

Hi

Robbie's version is the correct one. If Susan Hayward had challenged Chata to a fight (given her drinking and temper record) Chata would probably have killed her.

Regards

Arthur

I agree Arthur, Chata was to say the least not a pushover,
      as Duke found to his peril!

As these posts are off topic, I have moved them to this thread.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Pals Of The Saddle- Susan Hayward

I guess it WAS Pilar rather than Chata...Although I could've SWORN it was Chata! She was with Duke on the Fighting Seebees...

Anyway, sorry for the goof.