Legend of the Lost (1957)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 110 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Originally posted by ejgreen77@Aug 29 2006, 07:51 PM
      considering Wayne and Huston's equally disastrous joint project [b]The Barbarian and the Geisha was still waiting in the future, perhaps its better Huston wasn't involved here. [/b]

It's funny but "Barbarian and the Geisha" is one of my favorite Duke movies, I think because he played against type. Not only that but I have a big old soft spot in my heart for Japan and her people, from time spent there while I was in the Navy.
      De gustibus non est disputandum
    • I've read all interesting posts with great interest. They were full of a lot of new for me information. Unfortunatly I haven't seen Legend of the Lost yet, but your post sure ispired me to harry in that direction.
      My opinion about the Duke movies considered bad: I always happy that he was in so many movies, even if some of them much weaker then others. I never wish myself that he haven't make any of them.
      Regards,
      Vera :rolleyes:
    • Howdy All,
      Well, I don't what I can say that hasn't already ben said, so instead of adding my two cents worth, I'll just throw in about a half of a cent. It may not of been the best film he ever made, but, like The Conqueror and Jet Pilot and Barbarian and the Geisha, Duke was in, and that made it worth watching.
      Best,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Hi Bob, great point. I agree with you, the Duke made anything he was in bearable--meaning those VERY few films he did that just didn't "cut-the-mustard." I remember the one time I watched: The Conquour, that at least it was watchable because of he as well as because I also like Pedro Armendariez.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Legend of the Lost represented a bad era within John Waynes career as he was suffering from a string of flops at the box office. While the Searchers and Rio Bravo did well at the box office movies such as Wings of Eagles, Horse Sodiers, and Barbarian and the Geisha had not performed as well as expected at the box office. Legend of the Lost was also a financial and critical failure nad upon reviewing the movie one is not surprised to realise this.

The movie is compounded with awful dialogue, very slow paced and poorly acted (John Wayne aside) there is little suspense within the movie. This is all a great shame as the movie had the potential to be an early day 'Indiana Jones' but with the lack of action and excitement this comparison quickly ends.

There are one or two reasonable scenes within the movie but as a whole Hathway failed miserably.

Robbie
      :agent:
      Regards
      Robbie
    • Hi Carl,
      I agree with you about Horse Soldiers - it is one of my favorites. As for Winds of Eagles it is also good movie. Of course amoung Ford's it is considered not amoung the best, but it is Fords anyway and it always means something.
      Regards,
      BTW I read some reviews at Amazon about Legend of the Lost and there are many favorable ones. They mention the athmosphere of the film and very good cinematography. So it is worth watching. Planning to purchase it myself soon.
    • Hello

Have to agree with Ringo Kid Horse Soldiers is excellent movie. As for the worst
      Legend of the Lost starts well but well gets Lost LOL.

Jet Pilot would certainly feature highly on the awful list. Janet Leigh's flying suit may be the most interesting thing to watch.

I hear Duke thought "Barbarian and the Geisha" was his poorest movie. I think Pilar says that in American Legend DVD. I haven't seen that one apart from a trailer so I cant comment

The Conquer is another stinker as is Tycoon

but the film I would NOT recommend to watch and in my opinion is absolute stinker is

SHOCK :fear2: a John Ford movie

HORROR :fear2: The Long Voyage Home

I have watched it painfully ONCE and it is like watching paint dry. I know John Wayne went to great efforts to master a Swedish accent but trust me it doesn't help!!!!

Nothing to recommend it but as a possible cure for insomnia

Bring on the hot coals now :headbonk: :headbonk: :headbonk: :headbonk:

Mike
    • Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Sep 1 2006, 03:21 PM
      I hear Duke thought  "Barbarian and the Geisha" was his poorest movie. I think Pilar says that in American Legend DVD. I haven't seen that one apart from a trailer so I cant comment

From what I've read, Duke and John Huston (director of "Barbarian") didn't get along at all and that may be the main reason JW didn't care for the film. But as I've said numerous times, I've always thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the Duke was great in it. He sure didn't display any signs of discomfort in the movie that I could discern.
      De gustibus non est disputandum
    • Hi Stumpy

From what I read Huston wanted to improvise scenes as they went along and Duke didnt care for that type of direction.

I think he is quoted as saying that Huston couldnt make a decent movie without Bogart somewhere.

Apparently when Barbarian was finished John Wayne used his influence with the studio to make the final edit from what material had been filmed infuriating Huston
      no end.

As I say I have not seen that movie so I must search it out.

Mike
    • Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Sep 1 2006, 11:21 PM
      Hello
      but the film I would NOT recommend to watch and in my opinion is absolute stinker is 

SHOCK  :fear2: a John Ford movie

HORROR :fear2:  The Long Voyage Home

I have watched it painfully ONCE and it is like watching paint dry. I know John Wayne went to great efforts to master a Swedish accent but trust me it doesn't help!!!!

Nothing to recommend it but as a possible cure for insomnia
      Bring on the hot coals now  :headbonk:  :headbonk:  :headbonk:  :headbonk:
      Mike
      [snapback]34073[/snapback]

Hello Mike,
      I feel that you are absolutly wrong about The Long Voyage Home (of course it is your opinion and you have the right to have it). Only I feel that I must defend one of the finest Ford's films.
      It is quite different from his other ones which we like so much as Cavalry Trilogy and Quiet Man.
      We expecting from Ford some heroic person and very often more then one in his movies, but here is no heroic. All sailors have their weaknesses and a great ones, and they often fight each other and they are some kind of hostages during the war and for their captain who is the only one who makes desisions. And you hardly can run away from the ship, one tryed and failed - it is one of the most impressive scenes for me. And OLe (Dukes hero) is the only one who has hope and future, but for this one man must sucrifice his life. It is rather dark movie not for watching every weak for relaksation or for runaway from life, but it is truly masterpiece. It is more look like European movies.
      May be you will try it again, I like it much more when I watched it second time.
      And casting Duke was very right desisuion of Ford. You know, Duke always had a honest face and he create this image brilliantly.
      As for Jet Pilot, I myself enjoy it very much, becouse is seems very funny to me for the one hand, and for the other it is beautiful movie not because the suite, but because air flights which was shoot exellent.
      Regards,
    • Vera and Stumpy;

I think that most of us think of Duke in Westerns and when we see him in anything else, we judge that film by the Great westerns that we all loved in the old days or we would not be on this Web-Site. ;)

Jet Pilot and The Barbarian and the Geisha were anything but a Western, but we still watch them. I think it is what you Like, and if you are into the History of Japan or Flying you would watch the films for just that. :)

The Barbarian and the Geisha showed Japan as it was in that time in History in their Dress and the way they were at that time. :angry:

Jet Pilot was a about the early 1950s and The Cold War, and even if the Story Line was Weak the Flying scenes where some of the Greatest ever Filmed. :rolleyes:

What ever you think about these Films, here we are talking about them all all these years later!!! :D

Bill :cowboy:
    • Originally posted by Senta@Sep 1 2006, 03:23 PM
      Hi Carl,
      I agree with you about Horse Soldiers - it is one of my favorites. As for Winds of Eagles it is also good movie. Of course amoung Ford's it is considered not amoung the best, but it is Fords anyway and it always means something.
      Regards,
      BTW I read some reviews at Amazon about Legend of the Lost and there are many favorable ones. They mention the athmosphere of the film and very good cinematography. So it is worth watching. Planning to purchase it myself soon.
      [snapback]34070[/snapback]

Hi Vera/Mike: Thanks. :)

Vera, yep, I always enjoy watching the Duke and William Holden "going at it" in that fine movie. I also love the music. (I left my love, I left my love in the holler of the tree<<<<<<<<<<<<<) Aye, and John Ford did a good job as usual. :D
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">