Legend of the Lost (1957)

There are 116 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 88,032 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Legend of the Lost represented a bad era within John Waynes career as he was suffering from a string of flops at the box office. While the Searchers and Rio Bravo did well at the box office movies such as Wings of Eagles, Horse Sodiers, and Barbarian and the Geisha had not performed as well as expected at the box office. Legend of the Lost was also a financial and critical failure nad upon reviewing the movie one is not surprised to realise this.

The movie is compounded with awful dialogue, very slow paced and poorly acted (John Wayne aside) there is little suspense within the movie. This is all a great shame as the movie had the potential to be an early day 'Indiana Jones' but with the lack of action and excitement this comparison quickly ends.

There are one or two reasonable scenes within the movie but as a whole Hathway failed miserably.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• And yet again I'm left amazed at the knowledge on any subject I throw out there. You guys and gals are great. I learn something every day. I still haven't finished watching it, but I will give it another try. I picked up Conagher the other day and I think I'll give it a whirl first though. Appreciate all the feedback.
    Thanks all,
    Bo

• I'm kinda shocked to hear that The Horse Soldiers didn't do so well? It certainly is one I have always enjoyed and place it in at least the top 20 "best of" Duke films.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    I agree with you about Horse Soldiers - it is one of my favorites. As for Winds of Eagles it is also good movie. Of course amoung Ford's it is considered not amoung the best, but it is Fords anyway and it always means something.
    Regards,
    Vera :rolleyes:
    BTW I read some reviews at Amazon about Legend of the Lost and there are many favorable ones. They mention the athmosphere of the film and very good cinematography. So it is worth watching. Planning to purchase it myself soon.

• Hello

Have to agree with Ringo Kid Horse Soldiers is excellent movie. As for the worst
    Legend of the Lost starts well but well gets Lost LOL.

Jet Pilot would certainly feature highly on the awful list. Janet Leigh's flying suit may be the most interesting thing to watch.

I hear Duke thought "Barbarian and the Geisha" was his poorest movie. I think Pilar says that in American Legend DVD. I haven't seen that one apart from a trailer so I cant comment

The Conquer is another stinker as is Tycoon

but the film I would NOT recommend to watch and in my opinion is absolute stinker is

SHOCK :fear2: a John Ford movie

HORROR :fear2: The Long Voyage Home

I have watched it painfully ONCE and it is like watching paint dry. I know John Wayne went to great efforts to master a Swedish accent but trust me it doesn't help!!!!

Nothing to recommend it but as a possible cure for insomnia

Bring on the hot coals now :headbonk::headbonk::headbonk::headbonk:

Mike

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Sep 1 2006, 03:21 PM
    I hear Duke thought "Barbarian and the Geisha" was his poorest movie. I think Pilar says that in American Legend DVD. I haven't seen that one apart from a trailer so I cant comment

From what I've read, Duke and John Huston (director of "Barbarian") didn't get along at all and that may be the main reason JW didn't care for the film. But as I've said numerous times, I've always thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the Duke was great in it. He sure didn't display any signs of discomfort in the movie that I could discern.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Stumpy

From what I read Huston wanted to improvise scenes as they went along and Duke didnt care for that type of direction.

I think he is quoted as saying that Huston couldnt make a decent movie without Bogart somewhere.

Apparently when Barbarian was finished John Wayne used his influence with the studio to make the final edit from what material had been filmed infuriating Huston
    no end.

As I say I have not seen that movie so I must search it out.

Mike

• Hello Mike,
    I feel that you are absolutly wrong about The Long Voyage Home (of course it is your opinion and you have the right to have it). Only I feel that I must defend one of the finest Ford's films.
    It is quite different from his other ones which we like so much as Cavalry Trilogy and Quiet Man.
    We expecting from Ford some heroic person and very often more then one in his movies, but here is no heroic. All sailors have their weaknesses and a great ones, and they often fight each other and they are some kind of hostages during the war and for their captain who is the only one who makes desisions. And you hardly can run away from the ship, one tryed and failed - it is one of the most impressive scenes for me. And OLe (Dukes hero) is the only one who has hope and future, but for this one man must sucrifice his life. It is rather dark movie not for watching every weak for relaksation or for runaway from life, but it is truly masterpiece. It is more look like European movies.
    May be you will try it again, I like it much more when I watched it second time.
    And casting Duke was very right desisuion of Ford. You know, Duke always had a honest face and he create this image brilliantly.
    As for Jet Pilot, I myself enjoy it very much, becouse is seems very funny to me for the one hand, and for the other it is beautiful movie not because the suite, but because air flights which was shoot exellent.
    Regards,

• Vera and Stumpy;

I think that most of us think of Duke in Westerns and when we see him in anything else, we judge that film by the Great westerns that we all loved in the old days or we would not be on this Web-Site. ;)

Jet Pilot and The Barbarian and the Geisha were anything but a Western, but we still watch them. I think it is what you Like, and if you are into the History of Japan or Flying you would watch the films for just that. :)

The Barbarian and the Geisha showed Japan as it was in that time in History in their Dress and the way they were at that time. :angry:

Jet Pilot was a about the early 1950s and The Cold War, and even if the Story Line was Weak the Flying scenes where some of the Greatest ever Filmed. :rolleyes:

What ever you think about these Films, here we are talking about them all all these years later!!! :D

Bill :cowboy:

• Hi Vera/Mike: Thanks. :)

Vera, yep, I always enjoy watching the Duke and William Holden "going at it" in that fine movie. I also love the music. (I left my love, I left my love in the holler of the tree<<<<<<<<<<<<<) Aye, and John Ford did a good job as usual. :D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo

I managed to download the theme song from Horse Soldiers today from Frostwire

Other gems were El Dorado theme and Chisum althrough it doesnt have William Conrad's narration plus a version of Rio Bravo.

Burned a nice little CD with those others bit there were parts of John Wayne America Why I Love Her

Mike

• Hi Mike,
    What is Frostwire?
    Regards,

• Hi Vera

Frostwire is a file sharing application you can buy via internet. You pay around £40.00 to join and get the software. It is legal and anything you download is for personal use only.

I think the id id frostwire.com

The application comes with its own firewall and antivirus and is contained within your own system. You can choose to place music or video clips within frostwire and decide whether you want to share with other users.

To use it you type in song or an artist and scan results. Each user is rated and you go for the highest rating as information is quicker to download.

When you have the information on frostwire you can copy it to CD using a cd burner or putting it on a play list in Itunes which is the ipod software.

It is great for getting the odd song of artists that you would not want to buy a cd
    of and saves wear & tear on proper cds in the car.

My other half got it so she had the learning curve and I asked the questions.

When you consider itunes cost 17 pence per song you soon get your money back.

The added benefit for me is that there are soundtrack selections which is how I came upon the 4 John Wayne tracks

Mike

• Hello :) I never thought much about Legend of the Lost, I seen it maybe twice and was ok with it, not disappointed. I think Jet Pilot was a little worse. I may watch that movie again, but only when I am bored ^^ .

Now, the only movie I couldn't finish watching when I first saw it was....and I know I am mostly alone on this one....was Donovan's Reef.

I know, I know. Allot of folks on this site love this movie. I have seen it in the posts. But I just couldn't warm up to it. I finally did give it a chance a while ago after reading others likes about this film. It still doesn't rank with me, but I did finish watching it. I will give it another shot in a year or so, maybe my tastes will change. Who knows.

But, considering the fact that John Wayne was so prolific in movie making, there is a slim chance that one or two will always rank on someone's hate list. :P

Oh, and Vera? I'm with you! I loved The Long Voyage home. I saw it finally when I got the Ford/ Wayne Collection and thought it a very well made film. It ranks high on my list. I think Duke pulled off the accent. I thought he did a great job in his longest monologue of the film, in the bar before he gets kidnapped.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Sorry to have to break it to you DP, but you have been the victim of a scam. Frostwire is a completely free peer to peer sharing software(and no doubt the bundled software you got). Unfortunately all these applications produce a number of scam sites wich give the users the impression that they can download copyrighted material legally, which of course is not the case. Furthermore they lure you into paying for software they themselves have stolen and rebundled.

Frostwire in itself is a completely legal piece of software, but regardless of where you get it, it is still illegal to download copyrighted music, movies or software. There are files you can legally download using these clients, but they are generally of little interest.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if some of you people want to use P2P software and download stuff that is hard to find, but you should be aware of what you are doing. If you find sites that claim that you can download on a membership basis then you should think twice before joining or downloading. Usually you are just paying for software that is free, often bundled with their own spyware, and then breaking laws when you start using it.

For information on how this works try
    Slyck's

For information on gnutella clients (Limewire, Frostwire, Bearshare, Phex etc.) and scam sites:
    Gnutellla forums

Official Frostwire
    Frostwire

Besides being illegal and putting you at risk of being sued or prosecuted, there is also a good chance of picking up spyware and virus if you don't know what you are doing.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Hi Popol

Apparently my dear wife joined the official site Frostwire site and £40.00 was for firewall and other stuff you could have uncovered a secret plot :agent::agent:

I told how what she was doing was illegal :wub: and the big sheriff was coming to take her away :cowboy::cowboy: . She went away in the car so either she is heading to the Indian territory or it could be shopping!

I will have to plead guilty as charged to 4 tracks plus using the VCR last week
    any chance they will go easy on me for diminished responsibilities :stunned: :stunned: I am sure I could produce charcter witnesses to this effect or will it be 100 years in the big house for me. :fear2:

From what I hear of prisons these days as long as I dont bend over it might be like a nice holiday stress free no council tax no mortgage no wife no children

Bet you they have free internet and (maybe) frostwire

Starting on my ulcer now :(

Prisoner 4561771

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Sep 3 2006, 08:24 PM

Starting my 20 years on a chain gang :( very soon.
    Mike

[snapback]34154[/snapback]

Don't worry, we shall send you something there. :D

• So you are trying to put the blame on your wife now? I guess that is to be expected. Typical criminal behavior to first boast about your crimes and then turn the blame to someone else when the heat is on. There is no excuse for what you have done and there is no punishment severe enough. All I can say is don't drop your soap you hardened pirate.

Give my best to the warden.
    Popol Vuh

PS. Are we off topic?