Legend of the Lost (1957)

There are 116 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 88,028 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well Mike, I'm sure you will get new "wives" in jail. As for the CD, a definite no. Whatever you have downloaded from the Gnutella network must be uploaded again!

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Hi Mike, whats frostwire? Also, can you use thematic music for a ring tone on cell phones? Not that I have a cell phone yet but, I plan on looking for one in the next several months and would like to have my own "personal" ring.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Sep 5 2006, 04:14 PM
    By the way did Mitch Miller Chorus sing the open track of She Wore a Yellow ribbon?

No mention of Mitch's bunch here, Mike.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Mike; {;-))

Not sure about Mitch Miller Chorus singing that tract but, I remember hearing them in non-John Wayne westerns as well. One I think they sang in was: Escape From Fort Bravo w/ William Holden, John Forsythe, William Demarrest, Richard Anderson & William Campbell.

• I think I have to disagree with most of the voices here. I thought this movie started off really slow and then got better toward the end. Most of the dialogue was... bad, but once they got to the lost city, when Sofia and John were looking for the other guy, it had a real spooky feel, like anything could happen. And I would say that those scenes certainly did feel Indiana Jones-ish, at least to me. As for the rapid degeneration of the one character into madness, he thought that what happened to his father was going to happen to him. And eventually it did.

But I just couldn't buy into Sofia's character. It seemed too forced. And why are a lot of the women in movies prostitutes who are trying to reform?

Boy some of those last scenes in the desert made me thirsty!

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• Say what you will DC65 but I still like the film. My kids and I really got a kick out of it the last time it was on.

That's my measure of a good film. :wink_smile:

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Just to clear this up, I wasn't saying that it wasn't a good movie. It had a lot of good points. But compared to the wealth of other great films by him?

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• Starts well for the first five minutes then disappears into quick sand and by the time it finishes you are desperately hoping it was a mirage.

Unfortunately, it is a major sandstorm going nowhere for the duration and your best hope is to sleep it off and hope the next movie is a closeby oasis. :fear2:

Mike, that's exactly how I felt about this film. I also liked that Kurt Kaznar was in it but in not enough of the movie to help it much. I hate to admit that I actually do not like a film with the Duke in it. I mean, I could even stand watching The Conquorer (SP?) over ever seeing this movie again.

• Does anyone know where the scenes of the lost city were filmed?
    Was just wondering about that today.

Thanks,

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Does anyone know where the scenes of the lost city were filmed?
    Was just wondering about that today.

Thanks,

Hi TBone,
    In the opening post I have this:-

Filming Locations

Cinecittà, Rome, Lazio, Italy
    (studio)

Libya.

But exactly sure where.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi

According to the Fred Landesman John Wayne Filmography the outdoor shots were filmed over a period of five weeks at Zliten, Leptis Magna and Gadames. Interior scenes were as already said shot in Rome's Cinecitta Studios during March and April.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur!

Looks like Zlikten and possibly Gadames were the locations for the modern city but then Leptis Magna was the location for the lost city where they found the treasure.

Thanks!

Tbone

• Thanks Arthur, got me scurrying to my books,
    and T Bone it looks like Gadames, was a village,
    in an isolated oasis, 400 miles, from Tripoli,
    but near to the ruins of Leptis Magna.

Accordingly, I'll edit the initial post.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• well....i ve read all the criticisms of the film on here but i enjoyed it. it was just the kind of film i like, duke on an adventure. no other distractions just duke all the way through doing what he does best, being a hero. loved it

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• never cared to much for this film.john wayne was the best thing in this film,but it is so dreadful that i was surprise espcially with henry hathaway directing it.sophie loren is good on the eyes but her acting was so so.all in all a bad film.