Reap The Wild Wind (1942)

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 122,285 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I agree Arthur,

I find this happens in several films,
    when the character development
    seems to go off the rails.
    In both the movies mentioned,
    Dukes' character starts off as
    being a reasonable man,
    only to turn into, some self-destructive figure.
    Fans would dismay, as this is not in keeping with their
    idolism of Duke!
    In both these movies, it becomes
    almost unacceptable that a man intelligent
    enough to become a Captain of a major vessel,
    should not have the gumption,
    to 'er' ' Let's talk things through here!'
    (a point Popul also raised).
    Without discussing another movie in this thread,
    the same happened in Tycoon!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I agree Arthur,

I find this happens in several films,
    when the character developement
    seems to off the rails.
    In both the movies mentioned,
    Dukes' characterstarts off as
    being a reasonable man,
    only to turn into, some self-destructive figure.
    Fans would dismay, as this is not in keeping with their
    idolism of Duke!
    In both these movies, it becomes
    almost unacceptable that a man intelligent
    to become a Captain of a major vessel,
    should not have the gumption,
    to 'er' ' Let's talk things through here!
    a point Popul also raised.
    Without discussing another movie in this thread,
    the same happened in Tycoon!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• In addition to the poster shown in Keith's introductory post in this thread, there are 4 (yes, you read that correctly - FOUR) other posters. One from the year of release, and then one each from 1954, 1959, and 1964.

Chester :newyear:

• I took more notion of Paulette Goddard second time watching. She's almost the same wild child as in Modern times. Her role is no more flattering than Wayne's, acts really stupid between the two men.
    Does anybody know how they got along with Duke? Her life with Chaplin was just in the end during the filming.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Hi Chester

With the exception of the top right poster the other three are pretty impressive and some of the better ones that I have seen advertising Dukes movies.

I don't think its fair to call Dukes charater stupid in this movie I would prefer to call him three dimensional with a dark side to him which allowed him to become corrupt.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I also don't like it when Dukes character goes to the dark side. Great squid I wonder what the army did with the prop.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I watched this again this evening. Superb stuff - hadn't seen it in a long while.

I'm curious about something though - the DVD runs for 118 mins. I could've sworn my old VHS was longer than that; am I mistaken?

• I watched this again this evening. Superb stuff - hadn't seen it in a long while.

I'm curious about something though - the DVD runs for 118 mins. I could've sworn my old VHS was longer than that; am I mistaken?

Well the run-time is quoted at 122mins,
    perhaps the DVD is running slower!!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Well the run-time is quoted at 122mins,
    perhaps the DVD is running slower!!!!

I attributed that four minutes to being that actual film at the cinema runs slightly slower than DVD/VHS etc. There have been lots of instances in the past where running times are credited as longer than they actually are, for this reason.

However, if anything has been cut from the DVD release of 'Reap The Wild Wind', I'd be curious to know what is was and why.

• This movie is not one of my favorites. I watch it every so often but I cant stand Millands role in this....just a PITA... Acts like a wimp,,and very decieving himself. Goes behind the back of Wayne to steal the girl ,,over and over. "Honorable? ,not hardly. It is simple as that. Also,,Goddards character was so two faced. Id rather watch Hellfighters.... I do have RTWW though but,,not in my top 50 ...Id give it a 4.