The Shepherd Of The Hills (1941)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 84 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Shepherd Of The Hills (1941)

Sheperd of the Hills can be found in this DVD. On-line is your best bet. There are 5 movies in this collection.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

I searched for Shepherd of the Hills by itself, and it is available on VHS for around $20 - $30, but is of course available in the Americon Icon Collection referenced above, for less than $20 for 5 movies.

It's amazing how much more available John Wayne movies have become on DVD, in the past twelve months.

Chester :newyear:

ethanedwards wrote:

Hi,

I like this film very much and thought it almost seemed to touch on some sort of cult.
      When watching it, I felt transported, into some mysterious, insular, backwater world,
      where everyone spoke strangely,

Still a good film, I paid £5.99 as well for this one,
      but this time, it was worth every penny.
      One of Duke's under-rated films!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Mark (dukefan1) has one of the posters in his post, but here are two more - the second one is a 1955 reissue poster.
      Files

Watched Shepherd of the Hills today. First time for quite awhile.

Have to say it is a strong Harry Carey movie with also a strong performance from Betty Field. Ward Bond was wasted I think he had one line plus a knife throwing.

In regard to John Wayne's performance I really think he is playing second fiddle to Harry.

A so so movie

Mike
    • Just saw The Shepherd of the Hills

Hey y'all...

Just finished watching this over the weekend. I'd never seen it before and thought it was pretty enjoyable. I liked Harry Carey and Beulah Bondi was really good, too.

I'm a little confused as to why Duke's character needed to kill his old man. I may have missed or forgotten something, as I only had time to watch the movie in bits & pieces. They thought Harry Carey (as Duke's dad) brought a curse upon the family because he wasn't there when Duke's mom died?

It was fun watching Duke engaged in fisticuffs with Ward Bond. Not quite a fight of epic proportions like Duke & Victor McLaglen, but still a couple of heavyweights going at it. I'll bet they had a good laugh over it offscreen.

Duke was his usual self. I loved the scene where he comes home and senses that something's amiss (when he discovers that they've sold his mother's land). I also like the relationship he had with the mute cousin. The scene of Pete trying to catch dust motes in the sunlight was really beautifully shot.

I know Henry Hathaway isn't as well known as Ford or Hawks, but he did a lot of Duke's films and they're all pretty solid, IMO.
    • Re: Just saw The Shepherd of the Hills

If I remember correctly it was that dad was blamed for killing his mom, or was it someone else and that was why he wasn't there... The real driving force was the hate of the one woman, his aunt I think. (sorry it has been a while since I watched the movie)
      You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

Plot: Young Matt Masters (John Wayne), an Ozark Mountains moonshiner, hates the father he has never seen, who apparently deserted Matt's mother and left her to die. His obsession contributes to the hatred rampant in the mountains. However, the arrival of a stranger, Daniel Howitt, begins to positively affect the mountain people, who learn to shed their hatred under his gentle influence. Still, Matt does not quite trust Howitt who turns out to be his Matt's father and bought the old family property from the wicked witch I mean aunt.

I agree Jen. I thought this was going to be a not so great film when first I saw it, but it really is a surprise. Very well done!
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

I agree with all of you. Shepherd of the Hills is a very good movie, and very under rated in my opinion. Although I have to admit I'm biased, but I think it had several Oscar moments. As a side note, I have read that while on the set of Shepherd of the HIlls, Duke and Olive Carey were talking, and Duke mentioned that he didn't want to get typecast into westerns. That he wanted to branch out and try other roles. Sort of expand his acting repretoire (I'm sure I spelled that wrong!). But Olive Carey told him that the fans loved him just as he was, just as they loved Harry Carey as he was, and if Duke was smart, then he would work to please his fans, rather than become an "artsy fartsy" (my words, not hers) actor. I'm glad Duke took her advice.
      Best to All,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

This is one of (in my opinion) Duke's best films. The entire cast and writers got the family lifestyle correct for the mountaineers.
      Back to your question Jen.
      The reason JW wanted to kill Harry Carey was for him abandoning the family. That's well known. If you were watching the movie in fits and starts, then you probably missed Harry Carey's explanation as to why he was not present to help.
      Watch in the scene for HC does explain, and the reason was he was in prison.
      Colorado Bob was rite in his post. I think Betty Field should have won an oscar for her portrayal. The cross she makes in the dirt before she heads onto the supposedly haunted land is just one of the little things that makes this movie special.

Regards
      Ethan
      Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

Thanks, everyone.

Ethan, I got that Duke felt it was abandonment, but I guess I didn't think that seemed sufficient to warrant wanting to kill his dad, though at some level I can obvioulsy understand his hurt and anger. Anyway, I was wondering if I had missed something else.

Yes, I remember when he explained why he wasn't there for Sarah's passing. It was while Duke was just coming out of his fog, and Betty Field & Harry Carey are talking about him while silhouetted against his canopy or whatever.

That was the one scene in the movie, btw, that didn't seem quite right to me. It seemed a little rushed and kind of cheesy the way it all came out right there and Duke just happened to wake up and hear it. Oh well.