The Shepherd Of The Hills (1941)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 84 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Just saw The Shepherd of the Hills

Hi Jen,

Yes I will admit that the scene with the explanation seems somewhat clumsy, but for lack of a better explanation the director probably thought it was an ideal scene to end with.
      You must remember that studios in those days limited production to only so many days, and or, so many feet of film to be shot. It's quite possible that's why they ended it like they did. If Matt had gotten healthy that would have led to increased production and as everyone knows studios were hard pressed by WWII to stay in the black.

Regards
      Ethan
      Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

I'm way more than a day late and a dollar short here, but just thought I'd mention that I understand how Hollywood was in those days and movies sometimes just don't come out quite the way we'd like them to (even today).

Reminds me a bit of the end of Red River. Joanne Dru gives the boys a good talking to and suddenly a raving madman maniac is best friends with his surrogate son again. :wink_smile: It's a bit of a blight on an otherwise perfect (or nearly perfect) film.

I though that young Matt (Duke) was told all his life that he had to kill his father for leaving his mother and bringing upon them a curse that will only be lifted with his father's death.

I also loved the book by Harold Bell Wright. It is different than the movie (characters are the same, but story line differs), but well written and hard to put down. I recommend it to the readers on this site. You can sometimes find a copy of it on ebay pretty cheap.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

dukefan1 wrote:

I though that young Matt (Duke) was told all his life that he had to kill his father for leaving his mother and bringing upon them a curse that will only be lifted with his father's death.

I also loved the book by Harold Bell Wright. It is different than the movie (characters are the same, but story line differs), but well written and hard to put down. I recommend it to the readers on this site. You can sometimes find a copy of it on ebay pretty cheap.

Mark

I think that came about from his witch of an aunt or whatever she was to Wayne, turned him against his Pa and he swore to kill him if they ever met. I liked that movie, Granny getting her eyesight back, Harry Carey Sr., Ward Bond both were great. Although I think Bond only had a couple lines.

Yes, I really liked the scene with Granny Becky getting her vision. It was beautifully shot and very touching. And it does make sense that his aunt kind of poisoned him against his father. As we learn after Pete gets his gift of speech back (a parallel to Granny Becky?), the aunt was the real curse.

Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I've meant to look for it.

Cheers!

Hello, everyone. I'm a newby. I very much appreciate this particluar thread on this site. When I was scrolling about as a "guest" and saw this thread, I knew I had to join. I very much like this movie and consider it an underappreciated film by the general classic movie-seeing public. I Think, "The Shepherd..." is a wonderful film.

I just watched this movie again the other day, thanks to this thread. The reason the aunt turned Matt against his pa was superstition. They pass over it kind of quick, when Matt’s uncle is drunk and speaking his mind at the table he states why. The aunt saw Matt’s mother die and one that sees death will be the next one to die, unless the one that caused the death dies first, or something real close to that. So it seems that the aunt was motivated by fear that she was going to die next. Each time I watch this movie I seem to find subtler story lines than I noticed the time before. This move is moving up my favorites list…
      You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

Hello Jen; I too really enjoyed this film and like Dukefan1 says you should read the book.I got the book and the movie on vhs about 5 years ago off of e-bay and I think I got a small treasure. The book is a bit different but not disapointingly so.Hollywood has based alot of movies on books and some were horrid.I think the root of Matts problem (and most of the hill folks) was aunt Peg.Her superstitions and ignorance spilled over the whole mountain but that just my slant on the film.I am still in awe every time I watch this film with the beautiful scenery and vistas.It looks very rugged and remote.Anyone know where it was filmed and is it still as beautiful???.If you get the chance Jen,or any other fan,Read the book.You will enjoy it.Harold Bell Wright is the author.Did he wright any other books that movies were based on???Enough for now...SaddleTramp...

It was filmed at:

Big Bear Lake, California
      Branson, Missouri
      Cedar Lake, Big Bear Valley, San Bernardino National Forest, California

Hollyweird usually does a poor job of going from book to the big screen, they really abort the Stephen King books.

If you ever want filming locations, or just more info on a movie, check out imdb.com for all sorts of movie information. Just ignore the comments, there seem to be a lot of kids with nothing to do except mess with the movies and their ratings. You can also find info out at Hollywood.com for most movies as well.

DakotaSurfer wrote:

It was filmed at:

Big Bear Lake, California
      Branson, Missouri
      Cedar Lake, Big Bear Valley, San Bernardino National Forest, California

Hollyweird usually does a poor job of going from book to the big screen, they really abort the Stephen King books.

If you ever want filming locations, or just more info on a movie, check out imdb.com for all sorts of movie information. Just ignore the comments, there seem to be a lot of kids with nothing to do except mess with the movies and their ratings. You can also find info out at Hollywood.com for most movies as well.

I agree absolutely with what you say about Hollywood and the King books. I remember a few years ago reading "Pet Cemetery" in one sitting, finishing about 2:30am, and not being able to get any sleep that night. A few years later when the movie came out, I almost puked at how bad and laughable it was.

Thanks, erthomp143. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention at that point in the movie. Maybe I was painting my toenails or something. :wink_smile:

Now it makes perfect sense. It seems that superstitions such as those were pretty common with "hill" or "backwoods" people years ago - and in some cases probably still are.

So now I need to read the book for this movie AND for Red River!
    • Re: The Shepherd Of The Hills (1941)

Just got back from traveling trough Shepherd of the Hills country - the Ozarks. Even stopped at the "Shepherd of the Hills" tourist trap in Branson, where I took the tour of the old homestead, and learned a few interesting things...

*The Characters from the novel were all based on real people...the names were changed and the story was completely fiction, but many of the aspects of the novel were based on people and stories that writer Harold Bell Wright knew about while staying in the Ozarks.

*The people in that area are not crazy about the movie that Duke starred in, because the screenplay strayed so far from the original novel. According to the tour guide, Duke made an appearance to the homestead, I believe he said the 60's, to apologize to the people of the area because he knew what the novel meant to them.

When I got home I popped the DVD in a watched it for the first time in while....good movie. While Duke gets top billing, it's really more of a Harry Carey movie, as he plays the story's protagonist. While it's true that's it's a completely different story than the novel, the movie tells a good little story in it's own right.