The Shepherd Of The Hills (1941)

There are 88 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 87,787 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I agree absolutely with what you say about Hollywood and the King books. I remember a few years ago reading "Pet Cemetery" in one sitting, finishing about 2:30am, and not being able to get any sleep that night. A few years later when the movie came out, I almost puked at how bad and laughable it was.

• Thanks, erthomp143. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention at that point in the movie. Maybe I was painting my toenails or something. :wink_smile:

Now it makes perfect sense. It seems that superstitions such as those were pretty common with "hill" or "backwoods" people years ago - and in some cases probably still are.

So now I need to read the book for this movie AND for Red River!

• moonshine and shopkeepers that double as bankers that stash cash in many places, I liked it except when Duke gets shot.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Just got back from traveling trough Shepherd of the Hills country - the Ozarks. Even stopped at the "Shepherd of the Hills" tourist trap in Branson, where I took the tour of the old homestead, and learned a few interesting things...

*The Characters from the novel were all based on real people...the names were changed and the story was completely fiction, but many of the aspects of the novel were based on people and stories that writer Harold Bell Wright knew about while staying in the Ozarks.

*The people in that area are not crazy about the movie that Duke starred in, because the screenplay strayed so far from the original novel. According to the tour guide, Duke made an appearance to the homestead, I believe he said the 60's, to apologize to the people of the area because he knew what the novel meant to them.

When I got home I popped the DVD in a watched it for the first time in while....good movie. While Duke gets top billing, it's really more of a Harry Carey movie, as he plays the story's protagonist. While it's true that's it's a completely different story than the novel, the movie tells a good little story in it's own right.

• I watched The Shepherd Of The Hills today for THE FIRST TIME! - I have never seen this John Wayne movie before, because it was released in German language on DVD for the first time a few months ago...

I liked the movie! I felt, The Shepherd Of The Hills is very different from other Duke-movies, not that much action, more psychology but interesting and thrilling from the very first minute to the last. A great character role for the Duke and a job well done by all the other actors. Wonderful!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I've only seen this one once and felt indifferent about it.
    I must watch it again as it may well have been because I dozed off, lol!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Dozed off? How could you, Dooley? lol. Give it another try, it may grow on you. I really enjoy this film.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Dozed off? How could you, Dooley? lol. Give it another try, it may grow on you. I really enjoy this film.

Mark

It happens sometimes!:wink_smile:

I don't watch any TV during the week, or very, very rarely, so I cram as may as possible in at the weekend! Sometimes that means I doze off when it's late; I always seem to wake up for the end credits though!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"