Wake Of The Red Witch (1948)

There are 62 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 70,905 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• first time i've seen this film and i really got into it. i thought it was pretty good

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• I recently watched Wake of the Red Witch myself. It starts really well and there are elements of the Tom Dunson Red River character in John Wayne's portrayal. I felt the ending was a bit weak but as you say the story does hold you.

• I have seen this film, but it has been a long time. Time to dig out the DVD and watch Wake of the Red Witch again. I do remember it being quite good and high on my list of favorites....hmmm, well if it is there, I am glad for reminders on this site of a good Duke film to sit down and watch.

Roger.

• Hi

Along with reap The Wild Wind, Wake of the red Witch is in my all time top half dozen pictures.

Some time earlier we had a long discussion about wether the film can be classed as an authentic film noir and I argued that it was and is the only film of its kind that Wayne made.

I also made the point that no matter how good a director John Ford was to see Ethan Edwards go back to Thomas Dunsen and Captain Rawles.

The point that in the book Sidneye is portrayed as a sympathetic figure I believe this comes out in the film. If you are the owner of a ship like the Red Witch and have a beautiful wife like Gail Russell, you might well plot and plan to get revenge. but I believe there was a mutual respect between the two men.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• i liked this film - i was surprised it was 1948 as i would have dated it earlier - a lot of it reminded me of the bob hope/ bing crosby " road to" films in its format.
    the chemistry between gail russell and john wayne was fantastic and i liked the ending too

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke