There are 238 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 244,819 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ben Johnson played a nasty villain in "One Eyed Jacks," where he made his character quite believable. He played a number of other shady characters over the years, such as in "The Getaway" with Steve McQueen (some scenes were filmed here in San Antonio, noteably the ones on our fabled River Walk), but his character in "Jacks" had no redeeming features.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Ben Johnson was also really good in "Bite The Bullet" with Gene Hackman & "The Shadow Riders" with Sam Elliott & Tom Selleck....

Shoot....Ben Johnson was just great in any darn movie he was ever in !!!!!

• Just my opinion, but I think his best role (outside of his roles in John Wayne films) was that of Cap Rountree in The Sacketts.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Yep! Whole bunch of good un's in The Sacketts!

You have to turn to television now for the really good Westerns. Thank goodness, there's at least one medium left that hasn't written them off completely. And thank goodness for the likes of Elliott, Selleck, Duvall, etc. who use the medium to good advantage.....

Originally posted by bopoppa@Jul 5 2006, 11:30 PM
    I had a chance to sit down and start watch the "Train Robbers" earlier and I have to say that ol' Ben Johnson was not just a fine actor, but a perfect compliment for Duke. I never really knew he was such an accomplished actor, nor did I ever recognize that he was in so many of Duke's movies until I read an "Arizona Highways" article chronicling his passing. Since then, I have become quite a fan of his movies. I know, a slow start, but I caught on. :headbonk:
    Bo

[snapback]32708[/snapback]

Hi all,
    I don't know how to add link, but you can see a lot about Ben Johnson in the special thread in Pals of the Saddle section.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Jul 5 2006, 04:12 PM
    Ben Johnson played a nasty villain in "One Eyed Jacks," where he made his character quite believable. He played a number of other shady characters over the years, such as in "The Getaway" with Steve McQueen (some scenes were filmed here in San Antonio, noteably the ones on our fabled River Walk), but his character in "Jacks" had no redeeming features.
    Cheers - Jay :D

[snapback]32721[/snapback]

I agree, he played a very good bad man in that movie. I thought he did a great job, though I was very dissapointed in him when he shot Marlon Brando's buddy in cold blood :o

It's funny, all the great westerns he was in..and he won his only Oscar for The Last Picture Show, which took place in the 50's.

Here's a little tid-bit from IMDB about his taking that roll:

He turned down the role of Sam the Lion in The Last Picture Show (1971)
    when it was first offered to him by Peter Bogdanovich because he thought
    the script was "dirty" and he did not approve of swearing and nudity in
    motion pictures. Bogdanovich appealed to John Ford, who got Johnson to
    change his mind as a favor to him. Johnson won a Best Supporting Actor
    Oscar playing the role.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Ben Johnson started out as a Real Cowboy in Oklahoma before he went to films. :cowboy: Most of the people that saw him work thought that he became a Very Fine Actor in his later years. :) And everyone thought that He was the Best on Horse Back in the Western Films! :D

And He proved how good of a Actor He was by getting The Oscar for "The last Picture Show" in 1972. :jump: You can go to the Site Below for more Info. on Ben Johnson and His Films. :rolleyes:

BEN JOHNSON

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Chilibill,

Thanks for the post! Us Okies are proud to claim Ben Johnson.

As I recall, he spent his later years taking care of his mom in her old age.

He was a fine one, God Bless him!

Tbone

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• If im not sadly mistaken, I THINK that the news report reporting his passing away, I THINK they mentioned that Ben Johnson died during a visit with his mother. I might be badly wrong but, that's what I could swear that I heard on the news.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Yes Ben has passed on. You are correct.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Originally posted by Tbone@Jul 7 2006, 09:47 AM
    Yes Ben has passed on. You are correct.

[snapback]32782[/snapback]

?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hello all
    I would put Ben johnson in my top ten of actors who worked more then once with the Duke.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Kilo6.

I was wondering if you could give me the translation for your tag line?

I've got a good part of it but I'm not familiar with the term "sing" in Latin.

Thanks,
    Tbone

Tbone

• Hello TBone
    Thanks for the feedback I had misspelled it, I neither read or write in Latin and the ornate carving I took the last four words from was not easy to recognize. I did a little research and found the real spelling. These last four mean that all may be one. The first sentence has a history what did you translate it as meaning?

• I'm having trouble with some of the spellings but as best I can make out, it is something to the effect of "To embellish the true and good is not detrimental when all are united as one."

Ut unum sint is how Our Lord begins His prayer to the Father that the church He has founded may always be one.

Ut unum sint.. May they be one... as You and I, Father, are one.

Tbone

Tbone

• It never ceases to amaze me the diverse gifts and knowledge that abound on this site. :huh: Tbone and Chilibill together at a campfire would require pen and paper or at least a tape recorder to remember everything that was said.
    Bo

• Hello All
    Hello TBone I should have dropped the last four words to a lower or 2nd line as I added them to the first sentence without intending that they be read as one thought. I have gone back and edited my sig line so they now appear as two separate sentences. As for the first sentence I hope that my spelling there is not awry and thus misleading. I left a message with the faculty Dept of Classical & Near Eastern Studies at the University of British columbia asking for an exact translation of that sentence, so as to compare it with your translation. The original and ongoing thing with that motto which I adapted as a family creed years ago, is that if someone wanted to know what it meant they would have to do the research and then perhaps the sentiment would have more impact having been earned so to speak. You are one of few who has voiced an interest although many have seen it. It is written in large print on a laminated plastic sign attached to our mailbox at the front door. Anyhow I will be in touch with you via pm when I get word(s) back from UBC. :)

• Hello All

Here’s a query for our experts

The actor Ben Johnson who was part of the John Ford company fell out with him during the filming of Rio Grande and did not work with the director again until Cheynne Autumn.

In looking at Ben’s career he didn’t seem to work with John Wayne from Rio Grande until he appeared with him again in The Undefeated, Train Robbers and Chisum.

Considering that Ben was a capable actor particularly in westerns did John Wayne not employ him out of deference to Ford because of their row or was it a case of their paths didn’t cross.

Mike