There are 238 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 243,923 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Bill

I knew I could depend on you.:)

Yes, I know that Duke and Ben never fell out but I find it strange that they never acted together from 1950-1969 when Ben was appearing in films particularly westerns everywhere else but with Duke.

Mike

• That is an excellent question. I wonder how John Ford would have responded to Duke, if he had employed Ben in one of his films after Ford had banished Ben. We all know that John Ford was the one man who could tell Duke to jump, and he would reply 'how high?'.

• I remember a while back in '97 (give or take a year) that I bought an issue of a magazine called "Arizona Highways"?? and there was an article and pictures of Ben Johnson on a ride through Monument Valley. I believe this came after his passing as the title (if I remember correctly) was "Last Ride". If this is so, what a timely article and a very poetic last ride for such a man.

Bo

• Ben Johnson was another H.H.N. in our house. I never really knew who he was until watching some John Wayne movies. However, I had seen several of his films without knowing who he was, such as: Mighty Joe Young and The Hunter w/ Steve McQueen. Two movies I was surprised that he was in were: Red Dawn and Cherry 2000.

I remember the day that it was announced on the news that he had passed away. I was sick and was checking myself into the hospital and heard it mentioned in the news. Damn, I sure hate seeing him gone.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ben Johnson was an all time favorite of mine. I loved him with Duke in Chisum. I watch that movie allot.

Dixie

• Why is it whenever I click on links to Ben Johnson's work I get a website about traveling of some sort? It's been like ever since I joined up in here. I never said anything before, but nosey me feels like she's missing something. It happens on allot of threads. HELP!!!!!!!

Dixie

Edited once, last by dlw1953: Misspelled words ().

• Why is it whenever I click on links to Ben Johnson's work I get a website about traveling of some sort? It's been like ever since I joined up in here. I never said anything before, but nosey me feels like she's missing something. It happens on allot of threads. HELP!!!!!!!

Dixie

Dixie,
    The links you tried the one is missing the photos and the other does take you to a travel site. You are doing nothing wrong.
    Even the links Mrs C posted since they are from 2006 a few are broken. The second and last ones just in case they didn't work for you.

• Dixie,
    Even the links Mrs C posted since they are from 2006 a few are broken. The second and last ones just in case they didn't work for you.

Dixie and Shortgrub.
    When posting external links, one is never to know
    how long they will be good.

As far as links internally within this board, some do not fuction,
    as they were transferred over from our old forum, and therefore,
    cease to work on this board.

As far as links in the Movies, 'Pal's section,
    I have spent many hours repairing them,
    and hopefully, they all now function.

However, if you come across any that don't,
    please PM me, with the rogue link.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• EE, I wasn't complaining, just trying to help Dixie out. I know with older links you can run into problems that is why I said they are from 2006 so Dixie would understand.
    Thanks for explaining the internal links.

Dixie

I went through the links in my post from 2006 and fixed any that were "broken" and removed at least one since it was no longer any good. Thanks for letting me know, and as Keith pointed out, don't hesitate to let the person who posted the link know if it's 'gone bad' so they have an opportunity to fix or remove it.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Thank you all so much for your information. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

Dixie

• Basically, I would just be reiterating what everyone has already said about this wonderful guy, so I'll just leave it at this: I watch every Ben Johnson movie I can get my hands on - and can even point him out in Oklahoma! on the train platform. And in Naughty Nineties as the cab driver. :D

Also, for anyone who is interested, I had to search a long time, but I finally laid my hands on a copy of "Ben Johnson: Third Cowboy on the Right", a documentary about Ben with interviews from Charlton Heston, Harry Carey, Jr., James Coburn, and Ben himself. I found it very interesting - learned some things I never knew about him, such as he and Marlon Brando re-worked all the dialogue for "One-Eyed Jacks", and he re-wrote his dialogue in "The Last Picture Show". If anyone is interested, copies are available at Video Editing Services, Inc in Kentucky - they're the ones who put the documentary together, and actually have the master - I paid $15 + shipping, and for about 1 1/2 hours of Ben Johnson clips and stories, it was well worth it! Their number is 859-255-9049.

• I may check in on that westrnfan, ben johnson was always one of my favorite actors. Partly cause I always percieved him as being the same man in real life. He was a genuine cowboy to boot, so westerns just fit him like a glove. I liked him in all his roles i have ever seen as much in the dukes movies as in others.