The Spoilers (1942)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 60 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Spoilers (1942)

wtrayah wrote:

Is Marlene Dietrich one of the women in that era that the Duke supposedly had an affair with? Anybody know?

Well yes, he most probably did!!
      and it's all here:-
      Pals Of The Saddle- Marlene Dietrich
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Well yes, he most probably did!!
      and it's all here:-
      Pals Of The Saddle- Marlene Dietrich

Actually, I thought that this was confirmed. I will have to dig out my John Wayne books again to check.

Lt. Brannigan wrote:

Actually, I thought that this was confirmed. I will have to dig out my John Wayne books again to check.

Jim, it is, but some will argue they did not.
      However in the profile it says it all, well nearly!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Jim, it is, but some will argue they did not.
      However in the profile it says it all, well nearly!

Well carry on then, and just ignore the harmless babbling man in the corner.

The remake with Jeff Chandler in Duke's role and Rory Calhoun in Scott's, is on WC on Oct 28 I think. I haven't seen this in quite awhile and am looking forward to it. It's pretty much a scene for scene remake, but I found it enjoyable. I like Chandler in most films, but thought they should have put Calhoun in that role, and moved Ray Danton up to Scott's old part. The part seems more written for a charming skirt chaser, and "man's man". Not that Chandler doesn't look masculine enough, he just seems a more serious individual, and IMHO the part calls for someone who come s across a bit light-hearted.

The post was edited 1 time, last by alamo221 ().

alamo221 wrote:

The remake with Jeff Chandler in Duke's role and Rory Calhoun in Scott's, is on WC on Oct 28 I think. I haven't seen this in quite awhile and am looking forward to it. It's pretty much a scene for scene remake, but I found it enjoyable. I like Chandler in most films, but thought they should have put Calhoun in that role, and moved Ray Danton up to Scott's old part. The part seems more written for a charming skirt chaser, and "man's man". Not that Chandler doesn't look masculine enough, he just seems a more serious individual, and IMHO the part calls for someone who come s across a bit light-hearted.

I've never seen this one but neither jeff chandler or Rory Calhoun are in the same league as Duke and Scott. I'd be really interested to see it.
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

Dooley wrote:

I've never seen this one but neither jeff chandler or Rory Calhoun are in the same league as Duke and Scott. I'd be really interested to see it.

Very true, but both were under contract to Universal at the time, and this was one of their 50s B westerns. Even the big fight is choreographed the same as the '42 version (even using Ed Parker as one of the stuntmen-he doubled Duke in the previous versions fight).