How The West Was Won (1962)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 97 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Peacekeeper.

• Re: How The West Was Won (1962)

I watched this movie at "Theatre Tokyo" in Jan.1963.
      It was fortunate ennough to seeing this by original cinerama format.
      Theatre Tokyo that was one in only two cinerama thatre in Japan
      disappears now,and the hotel has been built.

The power of the scene of buffalo stampede and train derailed scene
      was a hell on wheels. Indeed that was tremendous.(in cinerama only,not video)

After 28 years,in 1991,again i saw the graet buffalo stampede scene ,
      that was in "Dance with Wolves".

Both scene was filmed at the same location,South Dakota.
      Wow!,same buffalo herd appeared?

Regards,
      H.sanada

I have been trumpeting this release since the beginning of the year, and now I have early technical details for the 2 disc special edition, and the Ultimate Collectors Edition.

Further Details: Release Date August 26th. 2008
      Warner Home Video has announced a 2-disc special edition of How the West Was Won which stars John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart. The set will be available to own from the 26th August, and should retail at around $20.97. As well as a remastered and restored widescreen presentation, the 2-disc release will include a Film Historian Commentary, Dave Strohmaier’s critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure, Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette), and the original theatrical trailer. An Ultimate Collector’s Edition will also be available for $59.92. This will include the 2-disc special edition, as well as a 20-page theatrical press book reproduction, 10 behind-the-scenes photo cards and 10 postcards, and an exclusive movie poster offer.

Streeting simultaneously will also be a Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Again, all the 2-disc features will be included, along with special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. Also, exclusive to Blu-ray is the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater. The artwork hasn't been revealed for these releases yet, but we'll bring you that shortly.
    • Re: New Movies Coming

Further Details: August 26th 2008
      Warner Home Video has announced a 2-disc special edition of How the West Was Won which stars John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart. The set will be available to own from the 26th August, and should retail at around $20.97. As well as a remastered and restored widescreen presentation, the 2-disc release will include a Film Historian Commentary, Dave Strohmaier’s critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure, Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette), and the original theatrical trailer. An Ultimate Collector’s Edition will also be available for $59.92. This will include the 2-disc special edition, as well as a 20-page theatrical press book reproduction, 10 behind-the-scenes photo cards and 10 postcards, and an exclusive movie poster offer.

Streeting simultaneously will also be a Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Again, all the 2-disc features will be included, along with special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. Also, exclusive to Blu-ray is the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater.

Lt. Brannigan wrote:

Further Details: August 26th 2008

Streeting simultaneously will also be a Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Again, all the 2-disc features will be included, along with special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. Also, exclusive to Blu-ray is the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater. The artwork hasn't been revealed for these releases yet, but we'll bring you that shortly.

I wonder if these new super-duper editions have managed to eliminate the two vertical lines that delineated where the other screens (or other projectors-can't remember which) always showed in the older version. I love that movie but those durned lines bother the heck out of me.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

Hi Lt. Brannigan,
      Thanks for your very interesting post.
      I note from your post on the other thread,
      that they have managed to eliminate the vertical lines.
      That is good news.
      It is gratifying that at least modern technology,
      is bringing us Duke's image even clearer that ever before.
      Even in the case of HTWWW, if for just a few seconds!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Popol Vuh wrote:

The 29th of September.

play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5369058/Ho…West-Was-Won/Product.html

There will be a Blu-ray release on the same day.

Where do I collect the money?

Regards
      Popol Vuh

Hi Popol

Its great to see you back on the forum again, I wasn't sure if you would ever make any more posts.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

That would be great. I kinda agree with Stumpy on those lines, but I've seen them so long that I just figured it will always be there, and if this version does not eliminate it, then I won't bother to purchase it, mainly because Duke is in only a few minutes with Harry Morgan playing General Grant and General Sherman.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

Sure the duke's only in it for a few minutes, but I thought it was a pretty good film. But whether or not I buy the new version will depend entirely on the packaging. I am a sucker for a good lookin package. I love the ultimate version (or what ever it's called ) of the Searchers and Rio Bravo that I bought. If it looks like that, then I won't be able to help myself!
      [SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">