How The West Was Won (1962)

There are 101 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 109,487 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One of my family's all time favorite westerns! We saw this at the Honolulu Cinerama theatre in December 1963, and were just blown away by the beauty of the film, it's immense screen that curved around the theatre, and the sound system that thundered in your ear. When the shell burst in the Civil War episode right after Zeb killed the reb deserter, my little brother, who was sitting on my father's lap, almost jumped into orbit! He went around singing "Home in the Meadow" for weeks afterward. The great soundtrack was the second one I got, the first being (of course) Duke's "The Alamo".

The well done book, written after by Louis L' Amour, does ties up some Prescott family loose ends. For example, Sam Prescott, who is the older son who leg is broken in the battle with the river pirates, becomes a surveyor who is killed by Cheyenne in the railroad sequence (not the same ones that Jethro Stuart (Hank Fonda) brings in.) Zeb, as Lt. of US Cavalry, finds the bodies and has them buried, but is haunted by one of them, who looks like his mother Eve. The other Prescott son, Zeke, becomes the outlaw Zeke Ralls, whose gang rides into Jethro Start's camp. Ralls mortally wounds Jethro Stuart before dying in an attack from a grizzley bear that Jethro lures on him & his gang.

My family remembers the shock of seeing Walter Brennan playing a cruel river pirate who jams a pistol into the belly of one of the Harvey's and blows his guts across the room! All in all, it was a film to remember!

• We watched this movie recently, the first time for the Mrs. It was quite enjoyable, and to echo Mark's thoughts, it was quite a shock to see Walter Brennan as a bad guy!

I found some more posters, different from Keith's in the first post in this thread (though similar) and Arthur's. The first two highlight the all-star cast, and the third one is a 1970 reissue.

• This movie disappointed me greatly when I first saw it, I of course bought for John Wayne's part and when I realized I had waited for over an hour to see Duke and his part was only very brief I almost cried.

However after a second viewing the only thing that was annoying were those lines running down the screen. Other than that it's an enjoyable movie.

• While on holiday in Yorkshire some years ago I managed to rent this movie out on video. I didn't know most of the stars then, apart from Duke and Henry Fonda. Sadly it's not available on DVD in this country.

• I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable this film was. I especially liked James Stewart and Gregory Peck in unusual roles for them. Pity of course that Duke's part is so small, he looked real good.
    Good to know that those lines on the screen were not the problem of my copy only. I won't complain to the seller then

I don't believe in surrenders.

• If only everyone could see this fine film in cinerama, what a wonderful time you would have.I loved movies in this format.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I watched this movie at "Theatre Tokyo" in Jan.1963.
    It was fortunate ennough to seeing this by original cinerama format.
    Theatre Tokyo that was one in only two cinerama thatre in Japan
    disappears now,and the hotel has been built.

The power of the scene of buffalo stampede and train derailed scene
    was a hell on wheels. Indeed that was tremendous.(in cinerama only,not video)

After 28 years,in 1991,again i saw the graet buffalo stampede scene ,
    that was in "Dance with Wolves".

Both scene was filmed at the same location,South Dakota.
    Wow!,same buffalo herd appeared?

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• I have been trumpeting this release since the beginning of the year, and now I have early technical details for the 2 disc special edition, and the Ultimate Collectors Edition.

Further Details: Release Date August 26th. 2008
    Warner Home Video has announced a 2-disc special edition of How the West Was Won which stars John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart. The set will be available to own from the 26th August, and should retail at around $20.97. As well as a remastered and restored widescreen presentation, the 2-disc release will include a Film Historian Commentary, Dave Strohmaier’s critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure, Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette), and the original theatrical trailer. An Ultimate Collector’s Edition will also be available for $59.92. This will include the 2-disc special edition, as well as a 20-page theatrical press book reproduction, 10 behind-the-scenes photo cards and 10 postcards, and an exclusive movie poster offer.

Streeting simultaneously will also be a Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Again, all the 2-disc features will be included, along with special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. Also, exclusive to Blu-ray is the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater. The artwork hasn't been revealed for these releases yet, but we'll bring you that shortly.

• Further Details: August 26th 2008
    Warner Home Video has announced a 2-disc special edition of How the West Was Won which stars John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart. The set will be available to own from the 26th August, and should retail at around $20.97. As well as a remastered and restored widescreen presentation, the 2-disc release will include a Film Historian Commentary, Dave Strohmaier’s critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure, Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette), and the original theatrical trailer. An Ultimate Collector’s Edition will also be available for $59.92. This will include the 2-disc special edition, as well as a 20-page theatrical press book reproduction, 10 behind-the-scenes photo cards and 10 postcards, and an exclusive movie poster offer.

Streeting simultaneously will also be a Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Again, all the 2-disc features will be included, along with special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. Also, exclusive to Blu-ray is the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater.

• Further Details: August 26th 2008

Streeting simultaneously will also be a Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Again, all the 2-disc features will be included, along with special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. Also, exclusive to Blu-ray is the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater. The artwork hasn't been revealed for these releases yet, but we'll bring you that shortly.

I wonder if these new super-duper editions have managed to eliminate the two vertical lines that delineated where the other screens (or other projectors-can't remember which) always showed in the older version. I love that movie but those durned lines bother the heck out of me.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Lt. Brannigan,
    Thanks for your very interesting post.
    I note from your post on the other thread,
    that they have managed to eliminate the vertical lines.
    That is good news.
    It is gratifying that at least modern technology,
    is bringing us Duke's image even clearer that ever before.
    Even in the case of HTWWW, if for just a few seconds!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England