James Stewart

There are 95 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 101,958 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have seen the movies Stewart made with Duke and a few others and I was just wondering if you guys could reccomend me a few other Westerns he was in. I really like him as an actor with his strange way of talking. Thanks, Irish Duke.

I have seen the movies Stewart made with Duke and a few others and I was just wondering if you guys could reccomend me a few other Westerns he was in. I really like him as an actor with his strange way of talking. Thanks, Irish Duke.

Hi there,
    I've been watching them recently as I've just bought the James Stewart western box set, worth getting as its so cheap at the moment.
    I would say the best ones being, not in order:
    The man from Laramie
    The broken arrow
    The naked spur
    Bend in the river

Basically the ones he made with Mann are all good. These should keep you busy for a while! :)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I have seen the movies Stewart made with Duke and a few others and I was just wondering if you guys could reccomend me a few other Westerns he was in. I really like him as an actor with his strange way of talking. Thanks, Irish Duke.

Here is our dedicated thread
    Pals Of The Saddle- James Stewart

also
    Winchester '73
    The Far Country
    and many others,
    quite a few in our thread
    Classic Movie Westerns

For continuity, I will shortly merge
    this thread into the dedicated one

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Yes, Winchester 73 how could I forget that one!
    My excuse is being on the forum at 6.30am! :wink_smile:

• I WOULD SAY THAT "BROKEN ARROW" WAS MY FAVORITE BECAUSE AS 19 YEAR OLD KID JUST BEFORE I WENT INTO THE U,S. AIR FORCE, I WAS A EXTRA IN THE FILM THAT WAS DONE IN SEDONA, ARIZONA, AND I ALSO DID SOME STUNT WORK ! I GOT KILLED 7 TIMES IN THE FILM !!!
    :fear2:
    I ALSO LIKED "THE RARE BREED" WITH MAUREEN O'HARA AND JIMMY, AND THE HEREFORD BULL IN THE FILM CAME FROM RIGHT HERE AT
    THE "26 BAR RANCH" !!!
    (bud)
    CHILIBILL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdojOhmIt8

"JOHN WAYNE AMERICAN"

• That's a great story!
    I watched broken arrow last week, still as good every time I watch it.
    I went to Sedona recently on my US road trip, lovely, lovely place.

• Keith, he wasn't in Ride The High Country, that was Randolph Scott and Joel McRea. You might be thinking of The Far Country.

Also, there's Two Rode Together.

• I really liked him in the movie: The flight of the Phoenix! Great movie! Sorry, i know its not a western.

• I remember a funny western movie Jimmy Stewart did. I think it was called The Cheyenne Social Club.
    It is the story of a cowboy who is very religios and inherits a whore house. When he is comming there, he thinks the "Social Club" is some kind of institution for old and homeless cowboys, but then he realizes, what he has got...
    I have never seen this movie on DVD and TV-stations seem to air it not too often. I watched it over 30 years ago, but I remember it was funny!

Shenandoah was another great Jimmy Stewart Western: story of a father who is against war and has to search for his sons during the Civil War.
    Night Passage is a good one too: Jimmy Stewart and Audie Murphy as brothers, one a railroad engineer, the other one a train-robber. Jimmy is singin´"You can´t get far without a Railroad" in that movie!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

Edited once, last by Dukesfan ().

• I remember a funny western movie Jimmy Stewart did. I think it was called The Cheyenne Social Club.
    It is the story of a cowboy who is very religios and inherits a whore house. When he is comming there, he thinks the "Social Club" is some kind of institution for old and homeless cowboys, but then he realizes, what he has got...
    I have never seen this movie on DVD and TV-stations seem to air it not too often. I watched it over 30 years ago, but I remember it was funny!

Shenandoah was another great Jimmy Stewart Western: story of a father who is against war and has to search for his sons during the Civil War.
    Night Passage is a good one too: Jimmy Stewart and Audie Murphy as brothers, one a railroad engineer, the other one a train-robber. Jimmy is singin´"You can´t get far without a Railroad" in that movie!

All these movies are available on DVD. The Cheyenne Social Club has Firecreek in a double set. I happen to have all three. It seems that I do have a lot of James Stewart movies in my collection. I figure that the double set is because it is a James Stewart and Henry Fonda movie.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I found another fine James Stewart Western in my collection today: Bandolero! A more tragic western movie in the end, but with funny elements too, starring James Stewart and Dean Martin riding with a gang of bank robbers.

And You should watch Two Rode Together (this one was mentioned before). James Stewart plays a US Marshal and Richard Widmark is a cavalry officer. Both are searching for children robbed by the Comanches. - it is not The Searchers, but another great John Ford movie!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I found another fine James Stewart Western in my collection today: Bandolero! A more tragic western movie in the end, but with funny elements too, starring James Stewart and Dean Martin riding with a gang of bank robbers.

And You should watch Two Rode Together (this one was mentioned before). James Stewart plays a US Marshal and Richard Widmark is a cavalry officer. Both are searching for children robbed by the Comanches. - it is not The Searchers, but another great John Ford movie!

Two Rode Together is another title on my ever growing list of movies to watch!

• Two Rode Together is another title on my ever growing list of movies to watch!

That is one movie I'd like to see. It has not been released on DVD in the US. It is available on VHS but at $36, no way! I have not been able to catch it on TV either. I know it is available on DVD across the pond but says it is on Region 2 format.

Just waiting to see it. Shirley Jones is also in this movie.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• That is one movie I'd like to see. It has not been released on DVD in the US. It is available on VHS but at $36, no way! I have not been able to catch it on TV either. I know it is available on DVD across the pond but says it is on Region 2 format.

Just waiting to see it. Shirley Jones is also in this movie.

Hey Hondo,
    Wanted to send you a PM but cannot.
    Send me a message regarding Two Rode Togerher.
    Regards,
    Peter (Dooley)

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Ever since I saw the scene of Jimmy and Dick sitting by the River, (and Ford, camera, and all IN the river...I have wanted to see it. Jimmy was so funny as he can easily be, telling Dick, (on a soldier's pay), how he got a cut from every business in town. Hope it comes out soon! KPKEITH

Hey Hondo,
    Wanted to send you a PM but cannot.
    Send me a message regarding Two Rode Togerher.
    Regards,
    Peter (Dooley)

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE