Winchester Bites The Bullet

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,004 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello All
    I wonder why a company that produced 80,000 rifles last year, is closing this year. On the John Wayne "duke" firearms thread I read Reasr's comment that "Winchester has not been your daddys Winchester for some time now, it is more or less a brand name and will be licenced again". What goes on with this company? murray :huh:

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I will never forget the kick on my dad Winchester when I was a kid. That was sweet.

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

• Hello All
    Zack163 did you used to hunt with your father? Can you share any hunting stories? murray

Originally posted by kilo 6@Apr 3 2006, 11:20 AM
    Hello All
    Zack163 did you used to hunt with your father? Can you share any hunting stories? murray

[snapback]30047[/snapback]

Orthodox Jews don't hunt. We trap and then ritually slaughter the animals. The guns are for fun and protection.

Jewish youth learn to shoot (Ze'ev Jabotinsky founder of the Zionist Revionist Movement now know as the Likud.)

Every Jew a .22 (Rabbi Meir Kahane Founder of the Jewish Defence League)

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

• Hello All
    Hey Zack Please explain the two references in your post. murray

• This certainly is sad news with Winchester closing its doors. Though my Father and I never went out hunting with a Winchester 30-30, we did fire at cardboard targets--the Winchester Mod. 1894 (original model) that my Grandfather captured from one of Pancho Villa's fellow Bandit's after he had shot and killed him. This Winchester 1894 once belonged to some poor soul who had been killed in the bandit's raid at Colombus, New Mexico.

The only story I can tell that involves me having to do with a Winchester is:

Back in Sept/Oct 2000, I was vacationing in Germany along with a friend. I happened to take two days off our schedule and went to go visit with friends Juerg & Gabby in Rickenbach, Switzerland. The morning after I arrived, Juerg was kind enough to take me on a tour of the Old Arsenal in Solothurn, Switzerland. This place is huge and I think is about 4 storeys tall. They call it the Old Arsenal simply because this place has a few THOUSAND complete sets of Medevil (SP?) suits of armor. This place also had thousands of Swords, Pikes, short swords etc. This place also has specimins of several German artillery pieces and also boasts of a WWII German Mk 3 Tank.

I was impressed with all that I saw but when Juerg took me to the 2nd floor, I was totally blown away with the many many thousands of more swords, spears and bayonets located on all the walls and in display boxes.

Now I am coming to the point of this story.

As I love collecting WWI & WWII German weapons--my eyes instantly fell on the area where there were two MG 42s and an MG 34 on display as well as many Lugars, Walthers, Mauser rifles and pistols. Also they had a few nice examples of my all-time most favorite weapon--which is the MP-43 aka the: STG 44. Juerg snagged me away from what I saw as a dream come true and took me to an area next to some windows. Still seeing many Lugars and such--I had no clue at what he was about to show to me.

The display table he wanted me to look at was full of MINT and original 1894 Winchester Rifles that were bought by the Swiss Govt at the time of their manufacture. One cabinet had I think about 20 Winchesters which were all numbered in order of serial numbers--such as: 2345, 2356, 2347, 2348 etc. On the wall was another display case that had about a dozen or so more mint and original Winchester 1894's.

Regards--TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Cool story Carl.

We had this discussion a couple weeks back.

They are still producing the Winchester Shotguns in Belgium. They are coming off the same assembly lines as the Browning's. In fact they have just released the Super X3 shotgun. I have a X2, very nice and fast shooting semi auto shotgun.

The rifles were made in a plant in Conneticut I believe and the plant shutdown early this year. But i believe it was Reasr who mentioned that they hadn't produced a hand assembled model since the late 50's or early 60's. Since then, they were all machined and put together on a assembly line, they were still nice guns but not as nice as the hand built ones.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Todd, thanks and I also agree that the hand builts are much better. That is one of the reasons why I like weapons made only during or before WWII--tho I do like a few modern ones as well but, they aint in the same catagory.

Cheers my friend--C.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 13 2006, 01:39 PM
    Hi Todd, thanks and I also agree that the hand builts are much better. That is one of the reasons why I like weapons made only during or before WWII--tho I do like a few modern ones as well but, they aint in the same catagory.

Cheers my friend--C.

[snapback]30372[/snapback]

I do have a modern style military gun you might be intersested in. Its made by Bushmaster and it uses the same parts (basically) as the M-16. The only difference which is obvious is that mine is smei-auto and no option to go fully auto and mine is setup for varmint hunting. Its has a flat top instead of the handle and I have a scope on it. Damn fun gun to shoot and very accurate. Here is a link if you want to see a pic of it. Bushmaster Varminter

-John Wayne

• Hi Todd, that is a nice rifle. :D Here are hopefully working links to two of what I have.

Pic of a Krag Carbine just like mine.

Pic of a Walther P-38 like mine but not in as good as condition as mine is in.

I could not find a picture on the net that shows a Mauser sniper rifle that looks anything linke mine does. Although, if you are familiar with the 2-volume series on Mauser rifles/sniper rifles called: "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard? Law, in volume 2, there is one example pictured that looks almost exactly like the one I have except the Ansteckmagazin on the one pictured, holds only 20 8x57 rounds; while mine holds 25 rounds.

BTW, these Mausers w/ the Ansteckmagazin (extended magazines) are equipped with MG-13 magazines. The example I have was made in 1935--with a 1936 (totally correct) 25 rd fixed magazine. Wish I had a picture to show you--I think you would then see why I love vintage weapons more than modern. :D:D Mine is a beauty, to say the least. :D

• Boy Ringo that Picture of the Krag Rifle brings back Great Memories. I got my first Elk with my Grandfathers Old 30-40 Krag rifle in the late 1930s as just a Young Kid. And that was over by Duke's 26 Bar Ranch on the Apache Reservation. :)

My Wife got Her first Buck Deer with the same Rifle 20 Years ago on the Red Rock Mountain just two miles North of my house here in the Verde Valley. Also just about a Mile from where Duke did "The Angel and the Badman" back in the 1940s. And My Son got His one and only Buck in Colorado 30 years ago. So I love that Old 30-40 Krag Rifle :rolleyes:

I still have the Rifle and I think I will take it over to the 26 Bar Ranch and see if I can get another Elk with it this Fall? :D

Bill :cowboy:

• Nice guns Carl. The older guns are very nice looking with all the wood.

Bill, nice story. Are you a avid Elk hunter? That is about the only animal I have any desire to shoot thats bigger then a coyote. Would be fun but us out of staters have to pay through the rear to get a permit. Still, its on my list of things to hunt before I die.

-John Wayne

• Hi Bill, Todd,

Mr. Brooks, thank you for that nice story. This reminds me of the Krag Carbine that my Father owned but gave away also probably about 30 or so years ago. This was the first weapon I ever fired. I was all of about 6, and I was knocked on my back side after firing it. I sure do love Krags. Sadly though in my area, one can no longer find any 30-40 but, when I bought this weapon from a collector, he gave me two boxes of vintage Winchester cartridges. If I was ever able to come vacation up you wherabouts, i'd gladly share my ammo with you as well as let you fire my Krag. Same goes for you as well Todd. ;-))

Thank you Todd for the compliments on those examples of what my weapons look like. I also do love having all that wood on them. I should have never got rid of my all WWII M-1 Garand. I loved that fine rifle. I've been kicking myself ever since for getting rid of it. I stupidly traded it for another Walther (an BYF-42) ((Walther)) and a Chinese Uzi. :headbonk: The Walther I still have is an AC-43 (Mauserwerke) produced piece.

Cheers Gentlemen and Happy Easter. :):)

• Ringo and Viper;

Up until a little over 5 years when my Wife Passed on we hunted all over the West. But sense then I have not Pulled a Rifle Trigger. I still do a lot of Pistol Shooting because all I have to do is go out the door of the house and Shoot. :)

Now that I have my new place over at the 26 Bar Ranch and a 67,000 Ac. Back Yard I plan to get back into hunting again. Now At My Age I will have to find Nice Stump and wait for them to come to me. :uhuh:

On the Ranch there are Deer, Elk, Bear and Mexican Grey Wolf, but you had better not shoot one of the Wolf as they are Protected by the Feds. and Wolf are raising Hell with the Young Cattle on the Ranch, so you know what the Ranch Cowboys do anyhow, Feds. or not. :fear2:

Even tho I have other Rifles Higher Powered than The old 30-40 Krag it is still my Sweetheart! :wub:

If you Two ever get over to the 26 Bar Ranch we will have to Warm up the Old 30-40 Krag. :rolleyes:

Bill :cowboy:

• That sounds like a deal Bill. Heck, if I drive down maybe I can bring my Bushmaster. Its just a .223 but it is a great gun for coyotes, fox, and even the occasional "wolf"!!! :lol: :lol:

-John Wayne

• Hi Bill, It would be a great experiance and i'd definately enjoy an outing with you or Todd and yourself; taking our Krags along. I'd also bring the Mauser rifle along for you to do some hunting with. This rifle sure is a beauty.

• Hello all
    In the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the American offers Sean Connery as Allan Quartermain one of two special edition Winchester Rifles. He does not elaborate as to what makes them special. Does anyone know? :huh: