Pinned How Did You Become A John Wayne Fan?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 203 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Hello and welcome to the forum, Chickiverson! We're glad you found your way here.

Please feel free to share any story you might have or share a picture or two of your interactions with Duke and his family. We all would love to learn a little about Duke's life off screen that we haven't read in a book already.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Ditto to what Mark posted! Welcome, make yourself at home here!
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      http://www.jwayne.com
    • As a kid growing up in the late 60's and 70's, we had the three major networks, NBC, ABC and CBS. Before cable the only alternative was whatever UHF stations came in clear (via primitive antenna) UHF stations had no regular programming so at night and on Saturdays and Sundays they ran old movies. My sister and I shared the big TV and if it was her turn to pick she always picked crap, so I went to the other room and watched whatever movie was showing. Got to see John Wayne and Universal horror movies that way first and the two genres are my favorites now.
    • That is a fantastic picture, chickiverson! I would have loved to have seen Duke climb in and out of that wagon! Tight fit, I would say. lol Thank you ever so much for sharing this with us. Share more, if you so desire. No one here would mind.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • I'm new at this, and wanted to share more, but I can only load one picture per page. This is a wonderful picture of my Dad as Best Man holding both my Mom and Dad's hands, but you can't see my Dad in this shot. I do love the look on his face as he really loved my parents and he pushed for my Dad to marry here.
      Images
      • IMG_9944.JPG

887.29 kB, 2,448×2,448, viewed 7 times
    • Very cool photos @chickiverson love seeing Duke in casual photos!!
    • How did I become a John Wayne fan? My dad was a fan as I was growing up in the 60's and 70's so I guess it came naturally. I started collecting films on VHS in my early teens and saved and bought my first book "The Films of John Wayne" probably in 1979 since that is the printing date in the book. The poor book is all marked up by me marking the movies I had seen on TV, those that I had bought and those that were not included in the book. It is now worn and tattered and I'm still trying to find the remaining films to complete my school kid obsession, which is how I stumbled upon JWMB. I now have an excel spreadsheet and retired the book to light duty. I guess it still makes me feel like a kid sometimes. If the gifts that the family give you on birthdays and Christmas are any indicator that your a John Wayne fan then yes I am. I strayed for a while as life was busy and I had watched all there was to watch many times. Now that I am retired I'm finding my way back and enjoying them all over again and finding the new movies that are now available and other new young Duke discoveries on new found films. So much has changed in this new digital age.
    • @Bravo welcome. You've come to the right place for all things Duke & more.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">