Pinned How Do You Became A John Wayne Fan?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 188 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ken Briggs.

• Re: How Do You Became A John Wayne Fan?

My first posting:

As I read through all these posts I see a definite pattern that also directed my JW infactuation as well. John Wayne was a household star that was passed down from father/grand-father to son. My story is no different. Some of my very favorite memories is going to the theater with my dad to see a John Wayne flick.

Later in life I saw two movies on cable I had never seen before, North to Alaska and Jet Pilot. It was then I realized that I had not seen everything JW did AND that my wife was wrong. She always accused me of already seeing whatever JW movie I was watching. Not true. So I bought a book with his filmography in it and started my collection.

I first started taping movies from the TV. Later buying VHS tapes like many who have posted. Then getting DVD's. Then finding Franklin Mint stuff. And then came E-bay. Boy did my John Wayne collection explode then.

Last month was the big auction selling all of John Wayne's personal items. I really, really wanted to get something personal of his that he actually owned. My favorite item was the big oak desk from his office. I just didn't have the $50K in my back pocket to get that, even though my wife said I could. How cool would it have been to buy something that HE actually owned and touched. I am so disappointed.

Recently my wife kicked me out of the family room and I had to bring all my JW collection into a spare bedroom for display. I can't even fit it all in. Someday I will have a dedicated room in my home for JW memorbilia and to watch movies in. I keep dreamin'.

I am thankful that I was able to write a short story for Tim Lilley in his Big Trail series. It ended up it was in volume 10, the last one Tim did. It is the story of "My John Wayne Day" when I was in LA. Since then I have visited more places where JW footprints have been left. And there are so many more places to go.

Thanks for reading my story and I hope to post more.

Hi rnederhoed

WELCOME to The JWMB-
      The Original John Wayne Message Board
      where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
      we're a friendly bunch of folks,
      and there is a wealth of information to see,
      regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Thanks for such a fascinating first post,
      pity about that desk, perhaps it may not have fitted in that spare bedroom!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Oh, what a fun subject!

My father was a fan of JW since the 1930's. I can still remember going to JW movies in theaters and standing up with my father and sister and clapping when JW would first appear on the screen (much to my mother's chagrin).

Not only did my father enjoy JW movies, but also agreed with his politics. This helped shape my life philosophy.

I still remember coming home from high school and my dad telling me that JW had died. I was just as upset as if a member of my family died.
      Thankfully, the legacy of JW lives to this day.

Laura

Hi Laura,

WELCOME to The JWMB-
      The Original John Wayne Message Board
      where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
      we're a friendly bunch of folks,
      and there is a wealth of information to see,
      regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Laura thanks for your insightful posts and for joining us.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Laura, I see you joined a year ago, and have finally jumped in and got your feet wet with your first couple of posts! Congratulations - don't be a stranger now! Thanks for sharing, it was fun reading.

Peridot, we got a chuckle out of your remark, " . . . it wasn't an option to not like Duke." :))):

rnederhoed, it was neat reading your generational passing down of John Wayne's legacy! Regarding the recent auction, I remember looking at how much Duke's things sold for, and it was sad that there was nothing really affordable for us 'little people.' Sounds like you've got a good little Mrs. who is pretty supportive of your Duke habit! Somehow I missed getting that last Tim Lilley publication - I would enjoy reading what you wrote for it.

Anyway . . . thanks to y'all for sharing with us how you came to be a John Wayne fan, we never get tired of hearing these stories!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

Yes, there is a sign, but I don't remember it.
      colkid
      "A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

i grew up watching him was going to grow up and marry him!!!

chester7777 wrote:

It is fun to find out how different people come to love the Duke.

As for me, I've always been an unofficial fan, but in the last 4 years I have been increasingly renting, watching, and finally acquiring my own collection of John Wayne movies. I now consider myself an Official Fan. It has become an obvious addiction in my life. I'm not sure if there is a cure . . . . :huh:

You see, our family doesn't subscribe to cable, and where we live, if you don't have cable, all you get is snow on the screen. Our alternative entertainment has been to rent movies, and we have really enjoyed the older movies, as most of them are suitable for all ages (at least the ones we choose). As we started renting JW movies, we realized how much we really enjoyed them, and of course their star, the Duke. When we saw them on sale at K-Mart or similar places, we scooped them up, and that's how our collection began. Our youngest son, now 7, has been an avid JW fan at least since he was three years old, when he announced, "I a cowboy! I John Wayne!" He remembers more details from the movies than my wife and I put together - it's amazing! Our movie collection is up to 71 titles, not including 5 documentaries. Most are on video, and I am starting to build up titles in DVD now. "The Sands of Iwo Jima" movie poster hangs on the wall, about two feet away from a life sized cardboard cut out of the Duke. As many of you know, we just went down to Tombstone, Arizona, to celebrate John Wayne's 96th birthday with other members of Duke's Hollywood Cowboys. I've got the leather vest, now if I could only find the right hat . . . . It's a slippery slope, and I'm slidin' fast! :D

Chester
      THE SKYS NOT THE LIMIT NOR ARE THE STAIES
      lindaj48
      lindaj48
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're looking for an authentic John Wayne hat and cost is irrelevant, search no farther. What you want is The Last Best West. Google them; they've just changes web hosts. Their hats are made of authentic beaver (get your mind out of the gutter!) and last forever.

Then again, which John Wayne hat?

Check their site, they have lots of different styles from Western films, including hat stands and bands and sassy ladies hats. They have so many I can't decide which one is prettiest!
      We're burning moonlight.

How did I become a John Wayne fan? Reckon I was just born at the right time. I don't claim to be the world's greatest John Wayne fan. Truth is I never really regarded myself as a fan. It's just that John Wayne was always there, one of the great constants in my life, like a mother or a father. I grew up knowing him as a big indestructible man. I liked him. I trusted him. He believed in hitting a lick for what's right and he was big enough to do it. People like John Wayne ain't supposed to die. If anyone's passing emphasized the sorry truth that everyone's gotta go sooner or later, his did. But he made his mark and he touched many people's lives, including mine. It’s something I'm grateful for.