How Did You Become A John Wayne Fan?

There are 226 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 213,979 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I became a John Wayne fan before I was conscious of anything else, when I was a wee lad of about three my parents would always watch John Wayne films in fact the most played movies were Rio Bravo/El Dorado. But it wasn't until the beginning of the century that I became a huge John Wayne fanatic and started collecting all of his on DVD.

My first acquisition was the 11 movie set from Platinum Disc company, it had most of his Lone Star Westerns and with that purchase I became forever a Duke fan. That was 2003.... now 4 years later I now own 106 Wayne movies on DVD.

• My parents took me out to Hollywood, actually Huntington Beach, to visit an Aunt. We went to Hollywood to do some site seeing with my Aunt and she knew where some of the stars hung out. I don't remember the specifics but the only star my parents told me I was impressed with was a man we saw at a restaurant one afternoon, the man stood up and he towered above me, my mouth dropped open and I guess he said something to me like excuse me sonny and after that I just stood there. That's right... it was The Duke. My father introduced himself and me to Wayne and from then on all I remember is watching Westerns as I grew up. I went to every movie I could that John Wayne was in. I remember seeing his last movie when I was stationed overseas and then hearing he died. I only remember bits and pieces of that one day but I do remember it was the day I met John Wayne.

• That must have been something Dakota! Wow!

I've just always been a Duke fan myself since I can remember. His movies were always on in our house on Friday and Saturday evenings back when the local stations had late shows on.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I became a John Wayne fan before I was conscious of anything else, when I was a wee lad of about three my parents would always watch John Wayne films in fact the most played movies were Rio Bravo/El Dorado. But it wasn't until the beginning of the century that I became a huge John Wayne fanatic and started collecting all of his on DVD.

My first acquisition was the 11 movie set from Platinum Disc company, it had most of his Lone Star Westerns and with that purchase I became forever a Duke fan. That was 2003.... now 4 years later I now own 106 Wayne movies on DVD.

Welcome to this great site and, looks like you going to give Colorado Bob, a good running on having so many of the Duke's films. You have me beat by appx 40 or so titles.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Well welcome to the best website on the planet tr...oops! I mean Brannigan. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

I look forward to getting to know every one better, this is the first time I have been able to be around large number of Duke fans ever and I love it.

Welcome to this great site and, looks like you going to give Colorado Bob, a good running on having so many of the Duke's films. You have me beat by appx 40 or so titles.

I grabbed most of them while they were on sale for 8 bucks, but the set that set me back the most was Warner's fabulous John Wayne/John Ford collection. But I am not as blind as to feel that John Wayne has never made a bad movie... I submit for you consideration The Conqueror (1956).

• Yeah, I'm still stuck somewhere around 75 myself, and as far as The Conquerer goes, I also had a hard time with The Barbarian and the Geisha.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hello all,

This is my first posting to the site, so talking about how I became a Wayne fan seemed a good place to start. To be honest, I'm pretty new to Wayne fandom. I'm only in my 20s and didn't grow up watching Wayne or even many westerns for that matter, but I'm currently in school to be a film historian and starting watching some Wayne westerns from the late 40s and 50s like Red River, the cavalry trilogy, Hondo, and others and got hooked. Especially in the academy, there is a pervasive idea that all of Wayne's work is virulently racist, sexist, imperialist, and any other "ist" you can throw in there, but when you go back and watch the movies there is so much complexity and nuance that often gets overlooked. So right now I'm working on a research project on the Duke's international appeal in the 1950s and what drew people around the world to Wayne fandom at the time. Speaking of which, anyone know a good way to get a look at international posters for Wayne's movies? Many of the studio archives in LA don't have those advertising materials. Anyway, glad to be here, and I look forward to posting again sometime.

• Hello all,

This is my first posting to the site, so talking about how I became a Wayne fan seemed a good place to start. To be honest, I'm pretty new to Wayne fandom. I'm only in my 20s and didn't grow up watching Wayne or even many westerns for that matter, but I'm currently in school to be a film historian and starting watching some Wayne westerns from the late 40s and 50s like Red River, the cavalry trilogy, Hondo, and others and got hooked. Especially in the academy, there is a pervasive idea that all of Wayne's work is virulently racist, sexist, imperialist, and any other "ist" you can throw in there, but when you go back and watch the movies there is so much complexity and nuance that often gets overlooked. So right now I'm working on a research project on the Duke's international appeal in the 1950s and what drew people around the world to Wayne fandom at the time. Speaking of which, anyone know a good way to get a look at international posters for Wayne's movies? Many of the studio archives in LA don't have those advertising materials. Anyway, glad to be here, and I look forward to posting again sometime.

rmeeuf welcome to the site, and I'm glad you posted.

There is this prevailing attempt to dis-credit Duke on so many levels. What is truly amazing is that the harder the 'anti-duke' members of the industry try to dis-credit his works the more popular he seems. Almost 30 years out from his death he's still found in the top 10 in the Harris Poll, and named as the Top Money-Maker of All Time in the Quigley Publishing Company annual star poll.

As for the international posters I'm sure that there would be someone here on the board that could help you in that area.

Cheers,

Kevin

• Hi meeuf

Just to welcome you to the site. Hope you stay after you have completed your project.

As for the posters. if you work through the Forum and pick up on the Dukes films listed here you will probably find a number of pictures of International posters just browse.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello all,

Welcome to the site, glad you decided to join. I am sure if you spend anough time here and join in on the conversations that you will grow a even deeper appreciation of JW and what his films and life stood for.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Welcome rmeeuf!

Glad to see the Duke has caught your interest! This is a great board. Enjoy your time here learning more about JW.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."