How Did You Become A John Wayne Fan?

There are 226 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 213,981 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Duchess61,

WELCOME
    to The JWMB- The Original John Wayne Message Board
    where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Duchess61,

Wow, that is a unique, wonderful story!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board, the friendliest forum dedicated to John Wayne that you are likely to find anywhere!! As you will discover (if you haven't already), you have joined with fans from around the world who share a love of the great John "Duke" Wayne. It is a friendly, knowledgeable bunch that range in age from teens up into the eighties. We love to talk about John Wayne, and a variety of other topics as well.

Have fun, and we look forward to getting better acquainted in the days and weeks to come!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Welcome to the board, Duchess61. Feel free to make yourself at home. Take a good look around and jump right in.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hello everyone, I became a John Wayne fan back in summer of 1969 when I went to the movies with my parents at the Jersey Shore and saw True Grit. Every time I see the movie or Duke, it brings back memories of my father. Although my father has been gone for 20 years, I still have connection to him through John Wayne. I have collected Wayne autographs over the last 15 or so years. I have over 40 examples, not just photos or album pages. I have some very unique items including a screen actors guild signed application, a hotel regestration, several signed movie contracts, a wonderful letter to Hal Wallis detailing how Rooster Cogburn should be portrayed in the opening scenes of "Rooster Cogburn". Two of my most prized possessions are a hand written Thanksgiving card to his ailing mother while filming in Durango, and finally...Duke's working script from the Shootist which was signed by Wayne, Bacall, Morgan, Howard,Boone and the rest of the cast and production crew. This script was inscribed by Duke and given to the Carringtons. The Carringtons owened the home that used in the film that was run by Bond Rogers played by Lauren Bacall. This home is now known as the Kreb-Peterson Home. Can you imagine owning John Wayne's last script?
    Although I do not do this as any type of business, I would be happy to answer any questions regarding your Duke autographs. I can tell a forgery in a secound or two. I can even tell you in which period the signature was done as his autograph had changed a bit over time. Good luck to all!

• Hi truegrit1969

First of
    WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board

regarding the great man.

Fantastic post you made and fascinating reading.
    Also so interesting to read all about your great autographs,
    and your connections.
    Perhaps you might find time to post some
    here on the forum?
    If you did, we would be so interested.
    Fantastic that you have the script to The Shootist.

This script was inscribed by Duke and given to the Carringtons. The Carringtons owened the home that used in the film that was run by Bond Rogers played by Lauren Bacall. This home is now known as the Kreb-Peterson Home.

We have the house in our locations forum,
    and I have copied it here for your interest

Krebs-Peterson House - Carson City

Where Duke spent his final days in The Shootist

Hope to hear more from you

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thank you for the welcome. Really don't have any connections other that scanning the net for vintage Wayne signatures. I have always strictly dealt with well known
    UACC autograph dealers over the years, but some of my items came through private collections. I would'nt suggest anyone without knowlege buy a signature privetely as it's too easy to get burnt. The script is truely a one of a kind piece, but I think my favorite is the handwritten card to his mom. Duke has written how he misses his mother and due to his filming schedule he would not be able to see her over the Thanksgiving Holiday...ALL HANDWRITTEN! Best of all he signed it "Marion aka Duke"
    On a letter to Hal Wallis, Duke has signed "Your Ever Lovin Duke or Rooster" Just the thought of owning these items brings a smile to my face on a bad day. I hope they are passed down through my family for many years to come! I really don't buy much any more with the exception to something with a great inscription. I recently bought a life magizine cover which reads "IF I must be hung, May it be at McGinlly High. John Wayne"...not really sure what it means, but thought it was a great western reference. I am still looking for a John Wayne bank check. Although scarce, I know that they are out there! :wink_smile:

• Hello and welcome to the forum, truegrit1969. Make yourself at home. Thanks for sharing your story about the autographs you possess. That Shootist script is an awesome find. If your going to pass those items down through your family, I'm going over to Ancestry.com and seeing if I can trace my family tree and tie it into yours. We could be distant cousins. :))):

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I also welcome both Duches61 & Truegrit69 to the board.
    When I first join I did not know what to expect, or how long i would stay. But as time pasted you come to think of a lot of this members as friends. But like Duke and some of his friends did not always agree. You respect the other person opinion.
    You both can have a good time here. Meeting know friends.
    Also tell us a little more about yourselfs.
    TAKE CARE.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I was born in '42 and grew up. Now with all the Cd's and statellite. I watch Duke's
    movies over and over. Visted Newport Beach in 1994. Took a tour and they pointed out
    his round house, three of his yacht's, including the minesweeper. Also,where some of
    the "Sands of Iwo Jima" was filmed, all houses by then.
    I just bought "There rode a legend", tells and show his ranch in Arizona. I really
    enjoyed Patrick Wayne in the movies.
    In 2007 went to Ireland, to Cong a nice place to visit, took a Quiet Man tour", really
    enjoyed it. It was June and salmon were running there. Also saw the bridge and the train station. The bar building was not a bar yet, but they said it was going to be.
    Bought Maureen O'hara's bio., good and a book on the making of "The Quiet Man"
    Don't remake it, that's all they will show on TV from then on. Like that awful stagecoach by willie nelson.
    God Bless Duke's family, with faith in God and long happy lives,
    ColKid

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• colkid,

First of all - WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board, where fans come to have FUN, and without a doubt the friendliest forum dedicated to John Wayne your likely to find anywhere, bar none! You have joined an international community of fans who are not only friendly, but quite knowledgeable regarding the life and career of John Wayne, but a variety of other subjects as well.

You've been to so many Duke related locations, we hope you might be able to go to the festivities in Winterset at the end of May! We are hoping to be there as well!

Again, welcome, and we hope to get to know you better in the days and weeks to come.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Hi Colkid,

WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board

regarding the great man.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I also went to winterset,Ia one, they closed the door on the house at 5p.m,
    We arrrived about 5:15, walked around and looked in the windows. Bought some
    gas and talked to several of the locals. The town tried to get Duke to come back
    and visit,but he never did.
    We go to minneapolis every year, so go by on the freeway, winterset is about
    15 miles off and a small nice little town.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• I also went to winterset,Ia one, they closed the door on the house at 5p.m,
    We arrrived about 5:15, walked around and looked in the windows. Bought some
    gas and talked to several of the locals. The town tried to get Duke to come back
    and visit,but he never did.
    We go to minneapolis every year, so go by on the freeway, winterset is about
    15 miles off and a small nice little town.

colkid60, let me add my welcome here on this message board. When traveling on the Interstate, and you come up to the exit in Winterset, is there a sign on the highway also mentioning The Birthplace of John Wayne?

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• When traveling on the Interstate, and you come up to the exit in Winterset, is there a sign on the highway also mentioning The Birthplace of John Wayne?
    Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

Yes, on Interstate 80 there is a large State highway sign indicating the Birthplace exit, then its about 15 miles south.

Chester :newyear:

• Hello everybody...my story is one you have heard many times before...my Father was a fan of his movies, and I remember watching them on British Television as a child....

Recently, decided to watch them all again...and all these memories came flooding back....damn...I'd forgotten just how good he was....

Found this site by accident while surfing for John Wayne photos...and think I may never leave...and I've just arrived !!!!!!

• Hello everybody...my story is one you have heard many times before...my Father was a fan of his movies, and I remember watching them on British Television as a child....

Recently, decided to watch them all again...and all these memories came flooding back....damn...I'd forgotten just how good he was....

Found this site by accident while surfing for John Wayne photos...and think I may never leave...and I've just arrived !!!!!!

Welcome RedRiverDee, your story is similar to mine, so I started a website. :wink_smile:

Thanks for joining & being apart of our community!