How Did You Become A John Wayne Fan?

There are 226 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 214,001 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Dec 29 2004, 07:47 PM
    Just curious Ringo could you explain how you became a John Wayne fan? You told us the first movies you watched . . . .

[snapback]13382[/snapback]

I don't know, Hondo, but it sounds like a simple case of immersion to me. He almost couldn't help himself :D !

If I remember correctly from the many of TRK's posts I've read, Ringo's in his late thirties, which would mean he was born during the Duke's last decade of making movies. He got "drug" to the theatre to see most of the movies in his first paragraph, as a young child. You get to the late seventies, when cable TV came into his life, and if an adult in one's life was really into John Wayne (as you have suggested, Hondo) and was taking full advantage of having those movies in the comfort of one's own home - even if you weren't a fan right off, you'd grow into one without hardly tryin'.

So c'mon, Ringo, give us a little more detail. :rolleyes: . . . please?

Mrs. C. :angel1:

• This hasn't been up front since January and I'm sure there are many new members out there who haven't told the board how they became JW fans. So, in my normal resurrection mode, here it is!!!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Well said Jay, my Texan friend,
    (actually you're the only person, I know in Texas)
    but good of you to bring this one up again,
    but please, just a little more personal info
    would really help us, to get to know each other!!
    And as a reassurance to any newbies,
    I am sure, my fellow members will agree,
    that the divulging of any personal thoughts, or information on this site,
    has never been a threat!!
    Thanks, in all ways, to the administration team.
    Be good!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Jun 2 2005, 06:59 PM
    just a little more personal info
    would really help us, to get to know each other!!

[snapback]17150[/snapback]

Hi Ethan -
    Well, I have been a life-long (62 years)fan of John Wayne's since I can remember and was thrilled when I discovered this board in November. I am currently editor of a community paper, the Southside Reporter (the good news paper) here in San Antonio, which is in its 71st year of publication. I am celebrating my 41st anniversary with the paper this Sunday. I am a life-long resident here, but since my father was in the Air Force, we made overseas trips to Japan and Germany in my formative years. We actually stayed in London for a few months in the spring of 1954 prior to our final location in Frankfurt A.M.. We were in a suburb of London called Teddington near Bushy Park.
    I've worked in all aspects of the newpaper here, but one of the things I am most proud of is turning my love of classical music into coverage of the local concerts, playing the part of critic (don't like that word) which I have been doing since 1979.
    I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that our admiration of John Wayne brings us all together on this board for wholesome dialogue and exchange of information and just plain fun - it's easy to get addicted here.
    Cheers - Jay :D:D:D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Jay,
    That's a wonderful bio!,
    in fact after, i'd been a member, for only a cuople of weeks,
    I added more personal things to my profile,
    I think we've mentioned before, that not everyone
    wants to add details, but, it would be really much better,
    if we even knew where folks lived!
    Jay, you may well be the only Texan, I get to know,
    but if they're all like you, Texas, must be a great place!!
    Thanks,
    ethanedwards

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Guys

As you say, not everyone wants goes out of their way to give info about themselves.

As for when I became a Duke fan, It was in the early 60's. They were going to show "THE QUIET MAN" for the first time on TV. The build up to it seemed to last for weeks. every night they would show a little bit of the trailer, So when it came on, on that sunday night, I sat with all my family round our little black and white box, and from that moment on I was a John Wayne Fan.

Emmanuel. :jump:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Chester I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I would sure like to hear more about the group " Dukes Hollywood Cowboys" .

so long kilo 6

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I feel very sorry for the new generation of children growing up. As early as I can remember I had my cap guns and ten gallon hat hanging by my bed, and at 49 I still do!
    Now children are discouraged to play cowboys, or cops and military men. What a shame.
    Clearly it would be far better to have kids running around playing cowboys than sitting in their rooms on the computer.

Wall-Mart takes a lot of heat these days but it is the only place you can go in and outfit your little cowboy or cowgirl.

I have always loved the Duke, Roy the long Ranger and Chuck. I remember the first time I saw the Alamo my Mom bought me a four foot Paris wooden musket, I still have it. Wow I loved than gun. I lost count of how many times I won the Alamo! My Dad made me a leather pouch and I cut roll caps so I could have quick single shots....I can still smell the powder from those old caps.

Mike

• Welcome Michaelaucutt to the JWMB where you'll find a lot of friendly people around to discuss our favorite actor, John Wayne and almost any other subject you can think of. Visit us often - glad you're here!
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Michaelaucutt,

We, too, would like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of its kind on the 'Net!

I've had to resort to ebay for a fair amount of outfitting for my little cowboy (not so little anymore - he's nine years old now, and growing like a weed!). Sometimes, at events like a Civil War reenactment or Mountain Man Rendesvouz, some really neat guns for kids are available (or course, at a price :( that would strain one's budget a little, to say the least). But we've spent many a dollar to generate enthusiasm for the Western legacy amongst our kids and grandkids (only one has really taken to it, although there is no lack of enthusiasm for guns in general, especially amongst the boys).

Anyway, we sure hope you will become a regular around here! :D

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• hi micaelaucutt

welcome here we are warm and friendly. i have to say we are not so bad down under we can still buy toy guns in quite a few shops and some of them sell the sets which have gun, holster, belt s badge so i have bought my lad a set ( he just broke his gun a few weeks ago so i replaced it) he has had quite a few hours of fun with them. to be trueful i think this is a good way for children to learn about guns safely as they cant shoot someone by mistake.

once again welcome see you come back soon

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi,
    I became JW fun only that year, and it begins with the collection of four John Ford movies with him - Stagecoach, The Searchers, Fort Apache and The Horse Solgies. After that I began to look for JW movies wether I can find them. I have now all that were here - it wasn't too much.
    Senta

• By his western movies, the classic Ford and Hawks ones shown in TV in the late 1970´s. He was my first love at the age of 12, and in the same time I strongly identified myself with his roles. Before you ask, yes I´m female, but I´ve never identified with princesses.
    I´ve never stopped liking him, but I only started to collect dvd´s and to watch his movies otherwise than by chance every now and then, less than a year ago. And now I own about 70 and the amount is increasing.

I don't believe in surrenders.

Originally posted by etsija@Feb 25 2006, 03:56 AM
    I´ve never stopped liking him, but I only started to collect dvd´s and to watch his movies otherwise than by chance every now and then, less than a year ago. And now I own about 70 and the amount is increasing.

[snapback]27920[/snapback]

It's addicting, isn't it :D ?

Glad to have you join us, etsija!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• I grew up watching JW movies with my grandfather, who loved any western and my father, who has JW's look alike face! He has the same nose and eyes. I have admired JW and loved every single movie I have seen him in. My DVD collection is not very big but it is growing. I am 38 yrs old now and my 11 yr old son is a JW fan also. Our favorite movies to watch together is Hatari and McLintock. He loves the scene of the huge mudfight. He has seen every war movie JW has made. When my son isn't watching a Star Wars movie, he has on John Wayne. He knows that gets mom and dad to sit on the couch with him for a show.

Dedicated to the American Hero...John Wayne
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dukette ( a true native Texas gal)

• I guess it was just a matter of timing. The first movie I saw was Rio Bravo, from that point on I was hooked. Unfortunately, a character such as The Duke would not be as successful in todays culture. He is too upstanding and doesn't swear enough. I feel fortunate to have been exposed to John Wayne and try to expose my son to his movies as much as possible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]