Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,334,258 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by bopoppa@Jul 3 2006, 05:16 PM
    Ringo Kid, no apologies necessary for stating the truth. I noticed that as well, but since I've thrown a couple of rants on this site as well, I didn't want everyone here thinking I was pissed at the world. Superman is an easy target for changing and molding to whatever Hollywood agenda is currently supporting. Look what has happened to Christian values and symbols country wide. Problem is our kids these days follow this tripe like it IS the gospel. Just be lucky that Superman wasn't wearing a pink tutu and burning an American flag like I see here in Portland every other month. Yes, I do have to stand security in some situations for the anti-bush rallies, anti-war rallies, gay rallies, and just about any rally you could conceive of. The best part of these of course is the eventual burning of the flag. No matter what the event, it happens. Of course the people are always masked, but it happens nontheless. I could go on and on about this, but I'm going to chill and enjoy this site for what it is, a great place to talk with good people about one hell of an AMERICAN icon.
    Bo

[snapback]32640[/snapback]

Hi Bo, thank you for the support and kind words. I admit that I can get to be a bit "passionate" in my replies and beliefs in things. I hope my reply was not taken as a jab at ya--it was not meant. I can see though, that it looks to me like we think alike. I COMPLETELY agree with you on your post and I think it's really disgraceful for the govt to allow these rallys as well as the destruction of the Stars and Stripes.

I was raised in a Veteran's household which was instilled in me, many strong beliefs. My father was an Army Air Corps veteran of WWII, Korea and early part of Vietnam Wars. My father was pretty conservative and it rubbed off on me. :-))

Take care and best regards-_C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Jul 3 2006, 06:19 PM
    Just an observation - if I'm not mistaken, aren't nearly all the superheros American? ^^
    Cheers - Jay :D

[snapback]32642[/snapback]

Hi Jay, the answer to your question is, yep--the vast majority of superheros are American created but as a growing trend of sorts--there are many from other countries.

Some I can think of from other countries are: Captain Britain, and at least 1-2 members of the X-Men, and some from the Justice League etc.

Originally posted by B5Erik@Jul 3 2006, 09:19 PM
    Ringo, I've watched "He Walked By Night." (Actually, I own the DVD released by MGM - the best DVD release of this movie by far.)

Very good movie- great cinematography by John Alton. Anthony Mann also worked on it uncredited.

[snapback]32650[/snapback]

Hi B5Erik, glad you watched that one, it really is a great moie. I'm going to have my DvD copy in soon and will be watching it. Also, if you have a Best Buy near you--they have Decision Before Dawn for $9.99--which is where I bought mine at. Anthony Mann has been a part of many a great movie. I do like all I have seen that he has been a part of.

• Forgot to mention that I just picked up and will start watching tonight:

1) White Heat w/ James Cagney.
    2) Hostile Waters w/ Rutger hauer and Martin Sheen.
    3) War and Peace w/ Henry Fonda.

Of course after I finish watching The Dirty Dozen.

• Hi Carl,
    What do you think about War and Peace. The screenplay is far away from the novel, but custing is perfect. I myself like very much Fonda as Pierre.
    Regards,
    Vera :rolleyes:

• Hi Senta, I have watched War and Peace before but never have seen it all the way through. I will be watching it tonight in its entirety. From what I remember, I do like that movie very much and I thought that Henry Fonda as Pierre, was perfectly casted in his role as well as Mel Ferrer was, Herbert Lom (Napoleon Bonaparte) etc. I also like the fact that Sir John Mills & Wilfred Lawson both, are in this movie as well as a few others I like. Audrey Hepburn was as pretty as usual.

The last time I read the book was when I was in the 8th grade (many many years ago :rolleyes: ) The scenery was fantastic as well as the costumes.

One of the most memerable parts in the movie is when Pierre is taken prisoner by the French and is forced to take part in the French retreat from Moscow. I also love the parts where the Cossacks are harassing the French during their retreat. This movie was so well made that when I do see it, I feel like I am in that time period.

Cheers my friend. :)

Senta, I do also highly recommend watching James Cagney in: White heat, if you ever get the chance. James Cagney did such an excellent job of acting in this movie.

• Hi Carl,
    The scenes you mentioned is quite corerect, but the beginning of the film - the real desaster. The casting anyway is perfect. Much better when in Russian movie War and Peace.
    I saw Cagney only in one movie - don't remember the title. Not that one you are writing about.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• Thanks for the sentiments up above there Ringo. My wife actually picked out a movie for us the last couple of nights and we ended up waching "Donovan's Reef". Great flick overall. My wife is always amazed when she watches a movie and I show her some actors that she knew from other shows. Ceasar Ramero(spelling???) was one of them. Pretty light on the story, but a lot of fun to watch.
    I'm hoping to get y'all a report of "Pirates" in a few days if my schedule lets up.
    Bo

• Hi Senta, all in all, as I watched this movie last night, I really did get a good "feel" of it all. Also, I think I am becoming a "new" fan of actress: Audry Hepburn. I have been taking my time watching this movie (as well as rewatching certain scenes) because I am trying to take in as much detail as possible. For instance: because of this movie I am (somewhat belatedly) that I am really into Audry Hepburn's acting. This lady really was a good actress. Anyway, i'm still not done with the movie yet and I am at the area in the movie where they were going to leave their large home in Moscow for Pierre's country home. This is where they decide to help out the military a bit by taking some of the wounded soldiers with them.

Saw some good scenes with Sir John Mills and Wilfrid Lawson. I did not recognize who the other actors were in those scenes.

On Cagney:

Some of his movies I highly recommend you watching if you have a chance are:

The Fighting 69th.
    White Heat.
    The Roaring Twenties.
    Mister Roberts (which also has) Henry Fonda, Harry Carey Jr and I think another "Duke/Ford" veteran.
    Yankee Doodle Dandy.
    Blood On the Sun.

there are others I have seen with Cagney in them but cannot think of their titles at this time.

Cheers-- C. :)

Originally posted by bopoppa@Jul 7 2006, 02:15 PM
    Thanks for the sentiments up above there Ringo. My wife actually picked out a movie for us the last couple of nights and we ended up waching "Donovan's Reef". Great flick overall. My wife is always amazed when she watches a movie and I show her some actors that she knew from other shows. Ceasar Ramero(spelling???) was one of them. Pretty light on the story, but a lot of fun to watch.
    I'm hoping to get y'all a report of "Pirates" in a few days if my schedule lets up.
    Bo

[snapback]32795[/snapback]

Hi Bo, no problem. :) I too like Donovan's Reef and also think that Lee Marvin was perfectly cast in his role. I keep forgetting that Caesar Romero was in that movie. I'm more used to him in the role of the Joker in the Batman TV series. Another great movie that has Caesar Romero in is: Vera Cruz w/ Gary Cooper & Burt Lancaster. Also has very early appearances by: Charles Bronson (listed as Charles Buchinsky) Ernest Borgnine and Jack Elam.

I saw the first "Pirates" and greatly enjoyed it. Looking forward to your review of this one.

Cheers -- C. :)

• I just got back from Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest . Fun movie. Lots going on though.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hello All
    Miracle--liked it reminded me that I was impressed when President Carter
    got Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin together at Camp David. It was filmed in Vancouver and I saw people I have worked with in the crowd scenes. That is always interesting especially if you are into the movie. Usually we pay attention to what the principal characters are doing and then I see someone I have talked with and its like a suprise. Anyways I liked it the hockey was good and I grew up watching Kurt Russel.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Will be watching: "Hostile Waters" tonight. Tomorrow night will be saved for James Cagney in "White Heat."

"I'm on top of the world Ma!"

• Hello All
    I watched Faith of my fathers tonight. In the special features section was an interview with the man the movie is about. Among other noteworthy things he said was his hope that anyone reading the book or watching the movie might get a little optimism ( this is not verbatim ) I thought it was a good movie.

Greetings from North of the 49th