Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,332,385 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Carl, I have this but haven't got round to watching it yet. Sounds like you rate it so must dig it out.

Hi P/ You cant go wrong with this one. Great cast-great Director and my favorite of all Directors: Lewis Milestone. Lots of action and the usage of period clothing and gear (mostly) as well as vehicles and such. My thing on Milestone--watch when you see the movie--watch his style--which is just like you saw when watching the 1930 version of one of his best movies (this one I think is his best--mainly because of the great cast) notice the "pan and scan" for instance: When the infantry load into DUCWs (Landing Craft) Milestone cut from a quick showing of Fighters taking off of a carrier--and inbetween shots of those--you see the LCs making their way to the beach. Also, after landing on the beach--look at his pan and scan of men charging along inbetween shots of moving vehicles. Then when they near the Japanese Bunker positions--he shows Marines charging with quick cuts to the Japanese soldiers manning the bunkers then back to the Marines. When the Japanese open fire--you see them firing-the a Marine gets hit-back to them firing and such. This same style was used in Alls Quiet on the Western Front.

Anyway--this movie is a perfect 10--meaninbg it couldnt be improved upon.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Forgot to mention--and Peter was correct on this movie. I watched this afternoon--The Eagle with Tatum Channing (Channing Tatum?) and Donald Sutherland. This movie was well made and well acted. Lots of good action and such. I Highly recommend this movie. And for a new movie to NOT--have lots of needless gore in it--this one had a little--but nothing excessive--and I liked that a lot.

• "Snow White And The Huntsman" (2012)

Plot: IMDb

In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.

Phantom's Review: First the good things, Charlize Theron is excellent as the evil queen. The movie is beautifully filmed, it has a kind of "Lord Of The Rings"style going for it. Some good special FX and fine action scenes.
    The Bad things: Sadly, the worst thing about the movie is Snow White herself. Kristen Stewarts vacant, dead behind the eyes stare gave her a look of somebody who is perpetually stoned. Her acting abilities are non existent and she has the emotional range of a paper bag. I have never seen her before in a movie and if this is the best she can do, then I truly don't understand her popularity. This is a film that should have been great but instead is only OK.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Have to agree with Phantomstranger on this. I didn't think much of the Huntsman, or Thor, either. Funny how the roles are similar, most likely as he has no acting range either!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Hi

Next with Nicholas Cage 2 hours of rubbish

Arthur,

Why do you keep putting yourself through watching the Cage if you dislike him so, lol!

Cage is a guilty pleasure of mine and I even like his dross, which I do not class this one. I rather enjoyed Next!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Arthur,

Why do you keep putting yourself through watching the Cage if you dislike him so, lol!

Cage is a guilty pleasure of mine and I even like his dross, which I do not class this one. I rather enjoyed Next!:wink_smile:

I think its because Arthur eats pain like a kid enjoys candy :lol: Just kidding ;-))

• Last night was a duo of Ray Harryhausen treats.

1) Earth vs the Flying Saucers.

2) Man In the Moon.

Earth vs the Flying Saucers was definitely the best of the two.

• Arthur,

I was thinking the same thing, lol. I enjoyed Next as well. Not his best work, but not near his worst, either.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• A good and funny documentary about
    the Native American's badly portrayed role in Hollywood.
    It quickly moves onto Stagecoach and the many mistakes it made,
    and various other movies, including the Geronimo films.
    It also features some footage of Duke.
    It also considers with what they thought the best filmed portrayal
    Dance with Wolves, as we know a much discussed movie here.

Available on UK BBCiPlayer for the next few days.

Rich Halls Inventing the Indian

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• First 2 episodes of walking dead season 2.
    Thought I'd play catch up as Carl reminded me and need to catch up to season 3!

Hi P/ you better keep up with Season 3--because they have so many stories going in different directions that its starting to get irritating. Cant say more for fear of messing the entire season up for ya.

Oh and--just watched last night: The Last Legion w/ Ben Kingsley and Colin Firth?? and found that it was pretty good. It was well made and well acted and one small spoiler I have for ya--has a bit of Hadrian's Wall action going on ;-)) Also, the female lead in ti--she is VERY OOO LA LAAAAAA.

This movie did start out a little slow but the sail caught wind soon enough ;-)) Also, it has little needless gore in it and for another new movie to be that way? I liked it a
    lot.

PS: watched: Breakthrough/ again at lunchtime yesterday. Its a well made WWII war Movie. John Agar, Brian David, Paul Picerni and Frank Lovejoy.

• The Last Legion & The Eagle:

The Last Legion DvD cover:

The female lead:

The Boy Caesar:

A few 9th Legion Legionnaires:

Her last name is Rai--im guessing she is an Indian actress??

Colin:

The head jerk:

Ben Kingsley as the "Prophet" and you get a surprise later on him but I aint saying:

Some of the Barbarians:

Some action at Hadrian's Wall:

The Eagle:

DvD cover:

1st Cohort of the 9th Legion:

One of the head jerks: He needed killin':

What's left of the "old" 9th legion:

Shades of: Spartacus:

The Donald: Donald Sutherland:

"Oddball" was very good in this movie

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().