Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,331,963 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

A Kid For Two Farthings I watched it on film four. Its a British film made in 1955 I was twelveish. It starred a very young Diana Dors Celia Johnson David Kossov Sid James Sidney Tafler and just about every English B actor who ever was.
    I doubt if it got to the States but the ending had me in tears it was so sad.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Take Me Out to the Ball Game with Frank Sinatra, Ester Williams, and Gene Kelly. Yes, it is a musical and dance movie. Not bad for 1948.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Pirates of the Caribbean parts 1 and 2, for the first time. I picked Dead man's chest from a discount shelf without even knowing it was the second part of the trilogy. Next day I had to go find the first part, and after that I watched the second part again - that should tell quite clearly how I liked them... Now I have to find the third part (out of stock in the two nearest movie stores)

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Full Metal Jacket

Steve,
    IMO "Hamburger Hill" is by far the most realistic portrayal of battle in VN. I think it's much better than some of the other VN films that have been promoted by the lefties, such as "Platoon", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Apocalypse Now" all of which advanced the usual anti-war views of the usual liberal crowd.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hamburger Hill is a excellent movie Stumpy. And it is very realistic. We Were Soldiers I thought was very good as well. Apocalypse Now was by far the strangest of those you mentioned. Platoon was pretty far out there to. Pretty obvious their just make believe war movies. But I still find them intertaining in their own way. I think its horrible how Hollywood intentionally tries to turn society against our soldiers. I dont believe nothing i see on TV or read in the papers. To me most movies and news is propaganda. They report all the bad, none of the good, and bias the news to the side the left wingers choose. I remember hearing about an article in the Korean War era where our guys had to retreat. The paper instead of tearing apart the army said that the army made the "best retreat ever" and showed pride for their countrymen even in their defeat instead of using it against them. Sure doesnt happen anymore much. In my opinion I believe that our failure in Vietnam was caused by the liberals. But I wasnt even born then so maybe im wrong. I think the same thing is happening now and in every conflict since vietnam as well.

Edited once, last by FarmerSteve ().

• Hamburger Hill is a excellent movie Stumpy. And it is very realistic. We Were Soldiers I thought was very good as well. Apocalypse Now was by far the strangest of those you mentioned. Platoon was pretty far out there to. Pretty obvious their just make believe war movies. But I still find them intertaining in their own way. I think its horrible how Hollywood intentionally tries to turn society against our soldiers. I dont believe nothing i see on TV or read in the papers. To me most movies and news is propaganda. They report all the bad, none of the good, and bias the news to the side the left wingers choose. I remember hearing about an article in the Korean War era where our guys had to retreat. The paper instead of tearing apart the army said that the army made the "best retreat ever" and showed pride for their countrymen even in their defeat instead of using it against them. Sure doesnt happen anymore much. In my opinion I believe that our failure in Vietnam was caused by the liberals. But I wasnt even born then so maybe im wrong. I think the same thing is happening now and in every conflict since vietnam as well.

You have your stuff together, Steve. There's nothing important you've said with which I disagree.

A couple of minor points though - I personally think it has happened in every conflict since WW2, not just since VN. Also, I think the Korean retreat you're probably thinking of was Chosin Reservoir which was a Marine retreat, instead of the Army.

• You are correct stumpy, I couldnt remember all the details it was the chosin reservoir and the marines. I would put Korea in the list as well. I havent studied on Korea much or the era, but i think that media propaganda peaked with vietnam. But like i said i wasnt around then, just my historical perspective based on what ive read. I would like to point out though the irony of the liberal war movies that though they were anti VN, I think that they actually made more young people want to be soldiers. Atleast in my era of my life. Kinda like the Anti-Gun stance of the current regime, gun/ammo sales have skyrocketed basiclly because of the threat on the horizon totally contrary to what they actually want. But perhaps back when they were made they had a linear effect to their left wing intent and certainly will take you word for it if you say it was such.

Edited once, last by FarmerSteve ().

• perhaps back when they were made they had a linear effect to their left wing intent and certainly will take you word for it if you say it was such.

I'll believe until my dying day, Steve, that the "mainstream media" was primarily responsible for our "loss" in Vietnam. The reporting became so negative that eventually, it began to turn public opinion against the war. And as the general public soured on Vietnam, the gutless SOBs in Washington naturally followed suit. Gotta retain that political office, you know - never mind that this government had gotten the poor South Vietnamese way out on a limb and then sawed it off.

• Stuff ive watched that are non-Westerns include:

The Blob (Steven McQueen) Inglorious Bastards--which I hated), Rambo--which was OK but showed too much needless gore, Tron, The Bunker-which was supposed to be a horror movie set along the Belgian Border in WWII involving a Squad of Germans who retreated to and manned the bunker. The scariest thing about this movie-if you could say it was scary? (which you really can/t) is when a soldier gets stabbed and you see him holding some of his guts. It was a low budget film but everyone involved put great effort into it-so on a 1-10 scale-10 the highest-i'd give it an 8.

Im now working on watching a Star Trek Crossovers DvD set I bought at Wally World for $29.95. MOst of the episodes iv'e seen on it were good to great except for one episode-so far.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• What else would you watch on St. Patrick Day but Duke And Maureen in "The Quiet Man."
    :holiday_irish:
    What a Great Film !!!
    :teeth_smile:
    Bill
    :cowboy:

I completely forgot about it being the day we Oirishmen need to go around and singing Molly Malone. :headbonk:

I wound up watching 12 Angry Men--which I like more and more everytime I watch it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..