Warner Bros. Dvd Decision 2006

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,561 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If you go to:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/brows...9619002-9490357

you can vote for future DVD releases from Warner Bros. Out of the 30 titles listed, the top 10 vote-getters will be released to DVD. No Duke titles, but some of these films are pretty good. I've always liked the 1951 version of Angels in the Outfield with Janet Leigh and Paul Douglas - it's much better then the Disney re-make from the 90's. The 1957 film Band of Angels (starring Clark Gable and Sidney Poitier in their only film together) is pretty good. So is Bhowani Junction (1956), starring Ava Gardner and Stewart Granger. Glenn Ford's 1960 Cimarron re-make is also quite good.

Happy voting,

E.J.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

Originally posted by SXViper@Jun 9 2006, 11:45 AM
    I voted for Cimarron as well. Cannot pass up a good Glenn Ford film!!!

[snapback]32017[/snapback]

Ditto, as well as Operation Crossbow and There Was A Crooked Man.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• "bump"

Once again I'm going to say the "Off Topic Discussions" forum is too cluttered, this thing was already shoved way down on page 3.

Anyways, Friday is the last day to vote, so if you haven't done so yet I'd recommend heading over there and voting right away.

• I like the premise of this. Especially when you can get a group of members together to light a fire under the execs who hold out on the older movies/series that they have forgotten. I'm really disappointed in the selection though. Warner can do better than that. Thanks EJ for the heads up.
    Bo

• Well, the 10 winners have been announced, and they are:

The Illustrated Man
    Operation Crossbow
    Presenting Lily Mars
    There Was a Crooked Man
    Up Periscope
    The Arrangement
    Band of Angels
    Gymkata
    Looker
    Madame Curie

Five of these titles will be released in December, the other five in January. In addition, Warner & Amazon are partnering together to release Angels in the Outfield and Best Foot Forward exclusively through Amazon, so hopefully that will be a precursor to a widespread national release for those two films as well. You can check out all the details at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/165670011

Originally posted by Senta@Sep 4 2006, 10:04 PM
    Hi,
    Never seen no one of them.
    :unsure::huh:

[snapback]34206[/snapback]

You haven't missed much, Vera, although "There Was A Crooked Man" and "Operation Crossbow" weren't bad. I have pretty good copies of both on discs that I made from VHS tapes.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Vera, Band of Angels is a movie about the U.S. Civil War and has Clark Gable in it. It wasn't a bad movie but, to me it was a bit boring. Operation Crossbow is a movie that takes place during The Great Patriotic War. It has George Peppard as an Allied spy who infiltrates a German V-1 and V-2 rocket production factory. George Peppard is posing as a worker/scientist, and he is supposed to somehow let the allies know where that facitlty is located--so it can be bombed. Its been too long since I watched: There Was A Crooked man and don't remember enough of it to tell you, but I remember liking it at the time I saw it.

• Nearly every "winner" listed by ej above are BOMBS, according to Leonard Maltin's guide. His definition of BOMBS means they stink. So don't waste your hard-earned money.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• What the "heck" happened to "Cimarron? Gees, they couldn't release a well known movie, that had to release this stuff!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Sep 5 2006, 11:03 PM
    What the "heck" happened to "Cimarron? Gees, they couldn't release a well known movie, that had to release this stuff!!

[snapback]34253[/snapback]

Hi Todd, that's cause the "powers-that-be-who-choose-whats-to-be-released" have their eyes and ears closed to what the masses really want to see. No offence to anyone but, personally I can't stand anything put out by Italian Director Rossilini--tho two of my all-time favorite actors starred in one of his films: La Strada. The two greats are: Anthony Quinn and Richard Basehart. This movie was a stupid movie but, I can NOT believe that it is actually "growing on me" as I keep watching it when played on TCM; and it might end up in the collection sometime. :rolleyes: