Why You Are A John Wayne Fan?

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,477 times. The latest Post () was by Tuscarora.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• why you are a John Wayne fan? 0

1. by his movies (0) 0%
    2. his style (0) 0%
    3. for the things he did for America (0) 0%
    4. or something else and please explain that in the reply. (0) 0%

hi
    Why are you a John Wayne fan?

I am an John Wayne fan by his western movies and his action style.
    you?

Jwfan.

• hi

i would have to say that i am a fan of jw because firstly his movies and style and secondly because of his sense of duty that he had for his country (even though i'm not an american i can understand his love for his country)
    so you can see there are so many reasons to be a jw fan

good poll keep it up

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I am a fan because of his movies. If it wasn't for his movies none of us would be a fan of Duke. I can appreciate all he contirbuted, and have learned to understand his belief and causes. But without his movies there would be no Duke to appreciate today.

Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• His movies.....and everything else you listed...but first his movies then I began to know more of him

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• By his movies, I remember watching the War Wagon when I was eight or so. I'm now twenty-five and have
    a nice collection of John Wayne Movies.

Monique ;)

• As Hondo stated, we all became fans because of his movies. It's the main introduction to the man. Once you are hooked on his movies, then you learn the other things about him that just make you admire him more. It really is hard to find anything that makes you ashamed to be a fan. Oh, others may bring up his non-military record but I understand why he never served. Mistakes he made are those anyone would make. He was someone to look up to and his friends were proud to be just that , his friend. Nuff said! dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• My reason is that when I was a kid, when my dad came home (he was a commercial pilot and was away alot), if a new Wayne picture was playing, we HAD to go see it.
    Sometime watching these films remind me of my father (he has passed away 10 years ago) and the times we were together. Now my son and I watch them (only the war films as he doesn't care for cowboy pics) much like my father and I did.

I also enjoy watching his films because I know that when I see them, there is going to be quality acting and story, instead of a lot of special effects that mask over the poor acting.

Also, my father looked a lot like John Wayne and had been mistaken for him on a couple of times.

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• His movies in which he showed us his style. His honor and duty to the people and his nation

• the question is why i am a John Wayne fan? i think the answer to that questio is because of how much he seemed to have so much love for every one. he hada huge heart i was born in 1982 and feel like i knew him i am a huge fan and i wish i could have meet him and also he was like a babysiter of sorts to me groing up when my parents had to work i just put in a john wayne movie and i felt like he was keeping a ye out for me while he wa watching everything else.

• Hi there! Welcome!

I think a lot of people feel that way about Duke as a sort of guardian... I have a cousin that I am very close to - in truth, he's actually more like a second brother to me. Anyway, for various reasons, he grew up without much of a fatherly presence and was mostly raised by a bunch of wonderful women - his mom, his aunts, his grandmother. He watched Duke films all the time with our grandma, and I honestly think that's where he got a lot of his ideas about what it means to be a man. My cousin is 35 now and all grown up, but I think the impression Duke made on him is still there. He loves horses and rodeos and the occasional sip of whiskey, for one thing. ;) Sometimes I can even see a lot of Duke's physical mannerisms in the way he walks and carries himself. The ladies like it that he's about the same size as Duke, too. ;)

Anyway, John Wayne really did cast a giant shadow. No doubt about it.

• I am a fan due to the fact that there was nothing fake about him that person he portrayed on film was him in real life. He stood for everything good and honest. Not like all these actors these days they are all CRAP! Like John Wayne said don't go to the movies unless you believe in the hero! And there are no heros left just a bunch of over payed over sexed spoiled little clowns. John Wayne is my hero!! :cowboy:

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

• JOHNWAYNEABE,

I'd like to first of all welcome you to the greatest message board in the world that talks about a legend; no, I mean the greatest legend, John Wayne. Second, I'd like to say "Amen" to your comment, Thank you for sharing.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by JOHNWAYNEABE@Oct 7 2004, 08:27 PM
    I am a fan due to the fact that there was nothing fake about him that person he portrayed on film was him in real life. He stood for everything good and honest. Not like all these actors these days they are all CRAP! Like John Wayne said don't go to the movies unless you believe in the hero! And there are no heros left just a bunch of over payed over sexed spoiled little clowns. John Wayne is my hero!! :cowboy:

[snapback]11640[/snapback]

JOHNWAYNEABE,

Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of its kind this side of dot com! Good to have you here!

You're right, it doesn't seem there are any heroes any more - thank goodness we have the Duke!

We hope you you'll stick around here, and join in some of the other discussions.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• I guess you can say that I was born liking the Duke. Both of my parents loved him (especially my mother) and some of the first movies I can ever recall seeing whan I was a yonker were John Wayne movies.

The first ones I remember seeing were: Rio Lobo, Big Jake, The Longest Day, and The Alamo. I remember that every year on the anniversary of the start of the Alamo siege, that local TV stations always played The Alamo as a way to recognize th event. Sadly nowadays, they no longer make a tribute to the Duke or to special days like the one mentioned above. Instead, they play the usual stuff that they normally play from week to week.

I think that is tragic because for one, I got me interest in learning about history and the wild west, thanks to seeing these movies. Today I am hardpressed to find someone who is still in school, that knows about the Alamo, WW2 or even John Wayne.

I used to look forward to staying up late Saturday nights to see a John Wayne or Johnny Weismuller movie. Sunday afternoons and evenings about twice a month on local stations, we got old war movies, westerns, and exposure to the Duke.

I really wish that tv stations in my area would go back to the way they did things 20 or so years ago.

Yah tah hey The Ringo Kid. :cowboy:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• When I was born, I "...came out with my dukes up.", and my father was a big John Wayne fan (and a little wierd in the head...). So they decided to name me John Wayne.

Every once in a while my father would watch John Wayne movies, but at his late age, he didn't really get into it as much. I was never really interested too much. I just saw some old cowboy movies that really didn't interest me a whole lot apart from the gun fights. I would always hide my middle name because I thought it was embarrasing to be named after some old movie star. It wasn't until I was about 19 years old when I started to really enjoy John Wayne movies and playing out my name (good party name, heh) And only recently (age 21) have I been really getting into it and discovering my "herritage."

This is really odd, because my father never influenced me to like John Wayne, and after 19-21 years I've developed my own personality and interests. I'll watch a John Wayne movie and love it.

So why am I a fan? Because I was named after John Wayne. Nope. I'm mainly a fan because John Wayne characters are so interesting, movies are great, and because of a lot of the already mentioned reasons in this forum (avoiding repetition).

• John Wayne Gilvin - A belated welcome to the John Wayne Message Board. I think you'll find a special comraderie here just as the Duke was a special individual. There is a lot of information that you will find here on John Wayne - there are some very knowledgeable people on this board that, more often than not, can answer an obscure question or two for you.

As a relative newbie myself, I can say that you'll be made to feel welcome in no time at all.

Cheers -

Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"