Duke's Movie Horses

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 182,966 times. The latest Post () was by BJ_FA.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I understand that all of you are John Wayne fans but after reading alot of your comments about Dollor I am amazed at the lack of knowledge. Mr. Wayne started riding Dollor In 1969 in True Grit after the horse name Bo was killed. Chisum 1970, Big Jake 1971, The Cowboy's 1972, The Train Robbers 1973, Cahill U S Marshall 1973, Rooster Cogburn 1975 and his final movie the Shootist in 1976.
    The information that ChiliBill is advertising is not at all correct. The picture is not of Dollor but of Bo. Dollor was a chestnut 15 1/2 hands tall, he had two white hind stockings and a narrow white blaze. Bo was a sorrell, had three white stockings and a wide white blaze face. I am the Texas lady that owned Dollor for twelve years and hired a taxidermist to have him mounted. The information that was printed on Ebay was false and I am in the process of suing in court. The taxidermist did indeed ruin my horse. The taxidermist and his buddy known on ebay as Illegal Smile thought they could get by with what they had done. I just hope that Dollor can be fixed since I have had plans since 1991 to have him mounted and his final resting place to be Winterseet Ohio, John Wayne's birthplace.

Deb
    [email protected]

• Hi Dollar,

Thanks for your post.
    I am sure, that the members, who have been involved
    with this thread, will have some comments to make,
    regarding it.

However, when it comes to knowledge,
    and getting one's facts right,
    I would like to point out this,

The John Wayne Birthplace Society,
    (of which I am a member),
    is in Winterset, (correct spelling)
    and that is in IOWA (not Ohio) as you stated!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Dollor;

I am not Advertising Anything!

I was not lucky enough to ever see Ol Dollor in the Flesh, But I did get to see and Ride Banner for about Two Minutes in 1947 in "The Angle and The Badman" and again in what was Called The Triogy in the Late 1940s. :)

You are right about Banner and Ol Dollor. Banner was what we called a Bay Horse and Dollor looked like a Chessnut to me. The Bay Horse was a Dark Brown color, and a Chessnut was a Redish Lighter Color Brown and most of the time did not have the Darker colored Lower Legs.

Good Luck on Trying in Suing over a Dead Horse!!! :headbonk:

You might want to look at the Markings Again?

DUKE'S HORSES

Chilibill :cowboy:

• I am sorry that I dont need to check Dollor's markings since I fed him bathed him cleaned his stall hauled him. Sorry for the misprint of Ohio, I have received letters and had telephone conversations with Priscilla Steenhock on having Dollor there at the museum. Before Dollor died in 1995 and before Ben Johnson died we had a tribute to John Wayne at Ft Worth Texas. There were alot of celebrities their including James Drury who played the Viriginia alot of pictures were taken that night. People from all over came to my ranch to see Dollor and and to take pictures. I also received alot of letters from John Wayne fans from all over the U.S. As for suing the taxidermist he has ruined the horse and the intent of having him at the museum so that the fans could see him. That was the reason for having him mounted in the first place after all Dollor was the horse that carried the legend. I just hope that Dollor can be fixed.

Best regards,
    Deb

• Finally something that makes sense in this Dollor thing. Yes, the horse with a large blaze is in True grit and is called Bo in the film. I just wonder those paintings, they portray Bo then, is it there where this legend about big-blazed Dollor started? And, Vera, I'm sure you're right, it's the same blaze-head, now Bo, under Douglas in War wagon. However, Deb's statement is still not the final truth:

1) It's still Bo (the large blaze) in Chisum, as it is in Undefeated and Rio Lobo. In Big Jake we see Dollor (stripe and white muzzle) for the first time and it stays with Duke ever since

2) What about this legend about 2-year old Dollor in True grit then? - The horse in the final scene, behind the talking Rooster and Mattie is neither Dollor or Bo - this horse has a star with a stripe, not white muzzle, but a small pinkish spot under it and two white socks, not stockings in the hind legs (although this is hard to see, the whole horse is not properly shown). When preparing to the jump, it is Bo again, and which horse is actually jumping, cannot be told

I don't believe in surrenders.

• How many movies was duke the horse in with John Wayne. I've seen a few and enjoyed them I remember one they were in the desert with arab's. Wasn't the horse billed as the smartest horse in the world or something like that. thanks for the info.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Hi brick,

This has already been discussed in great detail,
    over in this thread, so for continuity
    reasons, I have moved your post over to here.

Your question has already been answered previously
    but just to help you, here is my post from the Movie Reviews.

Duke the Wonder horse was in at least
    the six Warner Brothers movies, that Duke made.
    in the early 1930's

Haunted Gold
    Ride Him Cowboy
    The Big Stampede
    The Telegraph Trail
    Somewhere in Sonora
    The Man From Montery

He may have been others, but not that I know of.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Nov 5 2006, 07:56 AM
    He may have been others, but not that I know of.

[snapback]36668[/snapback]

Duke was also the horse in most of the Lone Star films as well, though he didn't get the same build-up Warner was giving him.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi. There is a man down near Willcox where I live that claims he owned Dollar and that John Wayne came to him when they were making a movie. He had already paid to rent all these horses and cattles and he offered to buy Dollar and the man refused... until after the movie was finished! I also met a cowboy here that says he trained Cochise for El Dorado.

Someone took the time to correct my spelling of Dollar. this is the way it was spelled in the newspaper article by the man who owned the horse originally. I will be very careful in postings in the future.

• hi dallas! hope this only one of many post. small note and alot of people get this confused,but the spelling of the horse is dollor a spanish word. take care.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Wasn't there 2 white horses in the 30's movies I know one was Duke the wonder horse, it seemd like one had a shorter tail then the other. I'm not sure.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Wasn't there 2 white horses in the 30's movies I know one was Duke the wonder horse, it seemd like one had a shorter tail then the other. I'm not sure.

Howdy Brick,
    The other white horse was named Starlight. And by the by, since I started this thread, I have found out that the horse in Lady Takes A Chance, that I was calling Sammy, was actually named Missed-A-Shot, or Misty, for short.
    Best to all,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

In True Grit, it looks like the horse that jumps the fence at the end is not the very young Dollor. Its a different horse I am pretty sure. Similar chestnut. I saw something the other day where Harry Carey Jr said the horse that Ben Johnson rode in the gallops being chased by the Indians was not Steel but a stunt horse called Bingo that was a spectacular galloper and jumper and it did all the fast work. You can see in Rio Grande that the horse Ben Johnson is galloping on is not the one he gets to lie on the ground. I think it is Steel lying on the ground and Bingo galloping.

If Bingo was around in 1968 he would have been in his 20's but he would have been safe and reliable horse to do the jumping stunt and I am wondering if it was him they used to jump the fence. It looked very like him. He is also the horse that runs away from the Indians in Wagon master and jumps the post and rail fence although it is Steel that spins when you first see the Indians.

The other thing I noticed watching the John Ford films all together recently was the same stunt horses seemed to be used in a number of films over a number of years. There is rather a plain black horse with a white strip that was one of the horses that reared up and dumped the new recruits in Fort Apache. The same horse had nearly a staring role in "She wore a yellow ribbon." It was the Bugler's horse and reared spectacularly in all the cavalry scenes. Even getting yelled at by Captain Brittles.

He also reared in Rio Grande, in harness when the wagon was stolen by the Indians and throwing a couple of Indians in other scenes. I am also fairly certain Hank Worden rode him in 'The Searchers'

There were also another couple of horses, dark sorrel horses with roman noses and light coloured manes. One of them, maybe both interchangeably, was used as the sidesaddle horse for Joanne Dru. John Wayne gives it a mighty wack on the rump when you first see it with the sidesaddle. The horses seem to be the "spare" roman riding team in Rio Grande that Jeff rode and one of them (both of them interchanging) were used for the galloping scene when Jeff rides to the fort and Tyree gets his gun. You can also see one as them as the horse a soldier falls off in the last cavalry charge.

Does anyone know anything about these horses. They were clearly very reliable stunt horses. Were they the regulars from Fat Jones stable? I doubt they were local because they are in a number of films over a number of years and always used for actors or in the front rows of all the stunts.

Also one more. Was the black thoroughbred that General Sheridan ( and Ben Johnson) rode in Rio Grande Misty that played Banner in My Friend Flicker, it looked like him.

Thanks for any information

dee

Edited once, last by tinker ().