Favorite O'Hara Movie

There are 61 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,806 times. The latest Post () was by Gorch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• What is your favorite Maureen O'Hara movie? 26

1. The Quiet Man (with John Wayne) - 1952 (14) 54%
    2. McLintock! (with John Wayne) - 1963 (4) 15%
    3. The Parent Trap (with Brian Keith) - 1961 (0) 0%
    4. Miracle on 34th Street (with John Payne) - 1947 (1) 4%
    5. How Green was the Valley (with Walter Pidgeon) - 1941 (5) 19%
    6. Spencer's Mountain (with Henry Fonda) - 1963 (0) 0%
    7. The Rare Breed (with James Stewart) - 1966 (0) 0%
    8. Father was a Fullback (with Fred MacMurray) - 1949 (0) 0%
    9. The Black Swan (with Tyrone Power) - 1942 (0) 0%
    10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (with Charles Laughton) - 1939 (1) 4%
    11. Only the Lonely (with Anthony Quinn & John Candy) - 1991 (0) 0%
    12. Other (1) 4%

This is a list of some of our grand lady's movies, which I think were her best. You might think of others, but here is a top list of her movies with a seprate selection being "Other". Of course you may comment what the other is on your choice.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• My favorite movie with Maureen O'Hara was the Rare Breed with Jimmy Stewart. I thought that was a wonderful movie.

Kenneth Henry

• Really any film with the Duke and Maureen is great, but I'm a Quiet Man till the end!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• There where only 2 films on that list that I haven't seen yet and then there are so many others that aren't on that list so it sure was a difficult decision but I did vote for the Quiet Man in the end because no way how I toss and turn that remains my all time favourite :D

Originally posted by Moonshine_Sally@Sep 19 2006, 04:19 PM
    There where only 2 films on that list that I haven't seen yet and then there are so many others that aren't on that list so it sure was a difficult decision but I did vote for the Quiet Man in the end because no way how I toss and turn that remains my all time favourite :D

[snapback]34612[/snapback]

Hey Moonshine, what are the movies not listed that you have seen?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Good Evening
    I have read your comments on your favourite O'Hara film, I personally can't decide between The Quiet Man, McLintock or Rio Grande. The chemistry between Duke and Maureen is very evident in all three films. However a very good topic.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Well, we are avid The Quiet Man fans, but had to give a nod to The Parent Trap, as our family gets an awful lot of enjoyment out of that one. And of course we adore Miracle on 34th Street and McLintock.

Then there's Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation, with Maureen O'Hara and Jimmy Stewart . . . we'd better stop, or we'll never get anything else done today . . . :lol: .

Keith, where did you get a copy of The Spanish Main? It is not readily available, that we can tell, and on Amazon, it is only available from their French site. Is your copy French? Parles voux francais?

OK, so we actually checked Amazon (US) and discovered that they have one available, "used & new" category, for a mere $115.99 :fear: . I've heard of inflation, but that's ridiculous <_< .

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Jim,

The Spanish Main

Well all I can say, I'm glad it was on UK TV,
    a few weeks ago, and I recorded it!!
    Perhaps my version, is worth a few dollars too?

Kids will be kids, and my son had a pirate 'mad' phase,
    so I also recorded The Crimson Pirate

All great, harmless fun!!!

Best Wishes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I also went with other. I just can't think of any of her work that i didn't enjoy. However i think that most of us will agree that the most believable couple pairing was with THE DUKE. The chemistry is just so strong you forget it is a movie and feel like you are watching a couple who are your long time friends. i also think that whie she has received many complements on how beautiful she was and still is for someone over 80, that hollywood never really gave her, her due when it came to her looks. a few of her very early movies it seems they tried to make her the starlett type. you know just another pretty face well built girl that after 30 would never be seen again,but she was so much more and way too talented and probably tough to accept that type of type casting and i for one am glad for that. I remember the 1st time i actually noticed that she was one heck of a beautiful woman. she was 41 and co starring in The Parent Trap. The actress Joanna Barnes, who played the girlfriend of the dad was, well, a walking, talking and breathing Barbie doll. She was the perfect image of what most people think is every mans dream girl. It is the scene where Mrs. O'Hara was standing bare foot on a stool reaching up for something that it hit me how much more than just a pretty face and great actress she is, not having the role of the beauty queen but the proper boston raised mother in her motherly clothes and apron. i guess i was 16 or so it was near 1982 when vcr's had dropped in price where a regular family could afford them and we had rented several movies with The Parent Trap being my little sisters selection.
    As the years went by and i saw her in movies she made at an earlier age as well as at an older age i figured out what it was that i found so attractive and appealing about her. Yes other actresses were prettier or more fit to the hollywood mold of a beauty queen, but they never had the class or carried themselves with the modest confidence of Mrs. O'Hara. She never had to hide any flaws in her acting ability behind a scant wardrobe or overly stated focus on her beauty, she was and is beautiful from the inside out, and it comes through in every minute of every scene i have had the pleasure of seeing her perform.
    In fact during a discussion with some guys i work with i listed her as the best of all time. The younger guys laughed and rattled of girls from baywatch and the like but the guys my age and older all got what i was trying to explain and they had to agree. Even in her last few movies where she is 75 to 80 you can still see the inner beauty that time can never take away. The baywatch types will be long forgotten as age takes away their appeal, but she will be remembered long after we are gone and while she may never get credit as being a sex symbol, someone will always be observant enough to see her true beauty and talent for which no adjective can come close to describing. The only thing left to say is thank you Mrs. O'Hara for all the joy your work has given to so many people for so many years and The Christmas Box will or should be canonized as a classic in the same way as Miracle on 34th Street. Your work just seems to be like wine and gets better with age.