Spencer's Mountain (1963)

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 18,955 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• SPENCER'S MOUNTAIN

DIRECTED, PRODUCED AND WRITTEN BY DELMER DAVES
    MUSIC BY MAX STEINER
    WARNER BROS. PICTURES

LobbyCard[1].jpg

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    As the patriarch of a large and growing family, Clay Spencer (Henry Fonda)
    is fiercely independent, yet dedicated to his family.
    While he resists the influence of religion, he struggles to remain faithful to his wife
    Olivia (Maureen O'Hara), allow his son (James MacArthur) to attend college,
    and build a new home for his family.
    The film centers on the trials and tribulations of the Spencers,
    a frontier family living in the Grand Teton Mountains of Wyoming.

Full Cast
    Henry Fonda .... Clay Spencer
    Maureen O'Hara .... Olivia Spencer
    James MacArthur .... Clayboy Spencer
    Donald Crisp .... Grandpa Spencer
    Wally Cox .... Preacher Goodman
    Mimsy Farmer .... Claris Coleman
    Virginia Gregg .... Miss Parker
    Lillian Bronson .... Grandma Spencer
    Whit Bissell .... Dr. Campbell
    Hayden Rorke .... Colonel Coleman
    Kathy Bennett .... Minnie-Cora Cook
    Dub Taylor .... Percy Cook
    Hope Summers .... Mother Ida
    Ken Mayer .... Mr. John
    Bronwyn FitzSimons .... College Secretary
    Barbara McNair .... Graduation Singer
    Larry D. Mann .... Spencer Brother
    Robert 'Buzz' Henry .... Spencer Brother
    James O'Hara .... Spencer Brother (as Jim O'Hara)
    Victor French .... Spencer Brother
    Michael Greene .... Spencer Brother
    Med Flory .... Spencer Brother
    Ray Savage .... Spencer Brother
    Mike Henry .... Spencer Brother
    Gary Young .... Mat Spencer
    Michael Young .... Mark Spencer
    Veronica Cartwright .... Becky Spencer
    Ricky Young .... Luke Spencer
    Susan Young .... Shirley Spencer
    Rocky Young .... John Spencer
    Kym Karath .... Pattie-Cake Spencer
    Michele Daves .... Donnie Spencer
    William Breen .... Mountain Main
    Rory Mallinson

Writing Credits
    Delmer Daves
    Earl Hamner Jr. novel

Cinematography
    Charles Lawton Jr.

Trivia
    Average Shot Length = ~6.8 seconds. Median Shot Length = ~6.6 seconds.

Final film of Donald Crisp.

Maureen O'Hara's real-life daughter, Bronwyn FitzSimons, plays the part of the college dean's secretary.

According to a Henry Fonda interview seen on the DVD version of this movie, many locals of Jackson Hole, Wyoming were used as extras for scenes in the movie, such as the graduation of Clayboy.

Director Delmer Daves' granddaughter, Michele Daves, made her only film appearance to date in this movie, appearing as the youngest Spencer child, baby Donnie.

Barbara McNair's film debut.

In their book "How Underdog Was Born...", W. Watts Biggers and Chad Strover reveal that seeing Wally Cox's performance in this movie inspired them to ask him to voice their newly created character, Underdog.

Goofs
    Continuity: In the scene where Clay is milking the cow, "Chance," she is first seen without a halter, then with one in the next shot, then again moments later without it.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: When Grandma Spencer is reading her husband's will, her voice is out of sync with her movements.

Revealing mistakes: When the new house is burning in the final scenes, you can see the pipes for the fuel that ignites the fire.

Revealing mistakes: When Clay Sr. breaks his leg, there is no blood on his pant leg despite Clay Jr. mentioning that the leg bone had broken through the skin.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    California, USA
    Grand Teton National Park, Moose, Wyoming, USA
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA
    Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County - 900 Exposition Boulevard, Exposition Park, Los Angeles, California, USA
    (Clay Sr drives to talk to the dean)
    Raymond, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Spencer's Mountain is a 1963 family film
    written, directed, and produced by Delmer Daves
    from a novel by Earl Hamner, Jr.
    The novel and film became the basis for the popular television series The Waltons,
    which followed in 1972. Differing from both the film and novel,
    The Waltons watered down many of the adult themes,
    including alcoholism and infidelity.
    Spencer's Mountain features the majestic scenery of
    Wyoming's Grand Teton mountain range, as photographed by
    cinematographer Charles Lawton in CinemaScope.
    The novel and the series were set in the Virginia Appalachians,
    but Hamner said in 1963 that Daves wanted more imposing
    mountains to emphasize the characters' isolation
    and struggles with their environment.

From the comments below, it's also obvious,
    that this is an ordinary, sort of film
    really held together, by the acting skills,
    of Henry Fonda and Maureen.

User Reviews

Spencer's Mountain is a 1963 family film written, directed, and produced by Delmer Daves from a novel by Earl Hamner. The novel and film became the basis for the popular television series The Waltons, which followed in 1972. Differing from both the film and novel, The Waltons watered down many of the adult themes, including alcoholism and infidelity. Spencer's Mountain features the majestic scenery of Wyoming's Grand Teton mountain range, as photographed by cinematographer Charles Lawton in CinemaScope

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida

[My above comment is alluding to the overall blandness of the film. It isn't a BAD film, but it seems a bit too gosh-darn happy and perfect and unremarkable--sort of like the Stepford Wives meet The Waltons (the latter was the obvious movie version of Spencer's Mountain). And because of that it's so inoffensive and ordinary that I have no desire to see it again. The sad thing is the acting was pretty good (it's hard to go wrong with Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara) but the story just wasn't compelling. Overall, it's a time passer and that's about all. About the only thing that is interesting is watching a younger Jame McArthur ('Danno' from Hawaii 5-0--also the son of Helen Hayes) playing the role later played by Richard Thomas.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I liked this movie because of the family aspect. Maureen was so great and beautiful in this picture. She was powerful in trying to keep the family together, and give them the things that would improve their lives.

In a way, this family reminds me of Chester and the Mrs. Very down to earth, good church going people, family strengths, and a lot of children. Oh, I know that Chester and the Mrs. has grandchildren, but they seem to be like their children.

Anyway, this is a tribute to the American spirit of what is good.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Nov 12 2006, 07:11 AM
    In a way, this family reminds me of Chester and the Mrs. Very down to earth, good church going people, family strengths, and a lot of children. Oh, I know that Chester and the Mrs. has grandchildren, but they seem to be like their children.

Anyway, this is a tribute to the American spirit of what is good.

[snapback]36882[/snapback]

Aw, shucks, Hondo :wub: !

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• :wink_smile:

Shot in 1962 (not in 1953) in Wyoming, this family drama was a great success. Maureen found Henry Fonda with pleasure, this major player, talented, strong, classy and nice ...

a small video

and the Original trailer

Good reading

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 4 times, last by Kevin: Links removed due to being dead. ().

............................................. The pictures from the film ...................................................

With key actors, Maureen, Henry Fonda, James MacArthur, Mimsy Farmer ... we find Maureen and daughter Bronwyn, met for the only time in a movie.

May 31st 1963

• Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
    [My above comment is alluding to the overall blandness of the film. It isn't a BAD film, but it seems a bit too gosh-darn happy and perfect and unremarkable--sort of like the Stepford Wives meet The Waltons (the latter was the obvious movie version of Spencer's Mountain). And because of that it's so inoffensive and ordinary that I have no desire to see it again. The sad thing is the acting was pretty good (it's hard to go wrong with Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara) but the story just wasn't compelling. Overall, it's a time passer and that's about all. About the only thing that is interesting is watching a younger Jame McArthur ("Danno" from Hawaii 5-0--also the son of Helen Hayes) playing the role later played by Richard Thomas.

I wouldn't listen to a person like this. This is a fine movie with average, normal people in it. Raising good kids and taking good care of them. They don't have much money, but they live good. When Clayboy wants to go to college, they find a way to help him, which is a sacrifice, they all sacrifice. Then Clayboy can help the next kid and so on. The Grandpa dies, the
    fine actor from many movies, Donald Crisp,including "How Green was my Valley."Donald's last movie. All the acting is good.
    What does the reviewer want, Lyin,Cheatin,Stealin- like many of the current movies? A fine movie to enjoy. I saw it when it came out in 1963, why not edit that correction ethan. I recently watched it on TV, in the last 3-5 months.
    We went to Jackson and the Tetons last year, 2012. It was breathtaking the first time we drove north out of Jackson and got to where the Tetons were, just beautiful. We ordered the movie yesterday so we can watch it again.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited 2 times, last by colkid60 ().

• Still a great movie, this website used to be so lively. I miss the many posts from fans.
    especially some from the Europe, Great Britian on Johny Wayne movies.
    Those were the days my friends. With Duke and many other great actors cranking out good movies.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower