Sinbad The Sailor (1947)

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,826 times. The latest Post () was by Dooley.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• SINBAD THE SAILOR

DIRECTED BY RICHARD WALLACE
    PRODUCED BY STEPHEN AMES
    MUSIC BY ROY WEBB
    RKO RADIO PICTURES

26be3bfa91ed9b6444562d2f590f87db.jpg

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Sinbad is a story teller who weaves great adventures about - himself.
    Whether they are true or not, no one knows.
    For this is the story of the eight adventures of Sinbad - as told by Sinbad.
    A ship saved by Sinbad and Sabu. A treasure map to the treasure of Alexander the Great,
    which mysteriously disappears from the ship.
    The beautiful Shireen - the woman who has stolen the heart of Sinbad.
    The evil Amir who wants the treasure for himself to own the world.
    The deadly Melik, who will stop at nothing and kill anyone to have the treasure.
    A perilous voyage to a mysterious island where the treasure is said to be held.
    Written by Tony Fontana

Full Cast
    Douglas Fairbanks Jr. .... Sinbad
    Maureen O'Hara .... Shireen
    Walter Slezak .... Melik
    Anthony Quinn .... Emir
    George Tobias .... Abbu
    Jane Greer .... Pirouze
    Mike Mazurki .... Yusuf
    Sheldon Leonard .... Auctioneer
    Alan Napier .... Aga
    John Miljan .... Moga
    Brad Dexter .... Muallin (as Barry Mitchell)
    Eddie Abdo .... Chanter (uncredited)
    Billy Bletcher .... Crier at Auction (uncredited)
    Mary Bradley .... Dancing Girl (uncredited)
    Norma Brown .... Wife (uncredited)
    Ann Cameron .... Wife (uncredited)
    Dolores Castelli .... Wife (uncredited)
    George Chandler .... Commoner (uncredited)
    Leslie Charles .... Wife (uncredited)
    Gordon Clark .... Soldier (uncredited)
    Norma Creiger .... Dancing Girl (uncredited)
    Wade Crosby .... Soldier (uncredited)
    Lida Durova .... Slave (uncredited)
    Joe Garcia .... (uncredited)
    Paul Guilfoyle .... Camel Drover (uncredited)
    Chuck Hamilton .... (uncredited)
    Harry Harvey .... Crier at Execution (uncredited)
    Jamiel Hasson .... Officer of the Guard (uncredited)
    Louis Jean Heydt .... Mercenary (uncredited)
    Dave Kashner .... Overseer (uncredited)
    Cy Kendall .... Hassan-Ben-Hassan (uncredited)
    Vonne Lester .... Dancing Girl (uncredited)
    Jean Lind .... Dancing Girl (uncredited)
    George Lloyd .... Lancer Guard (uncredited)
    Al Murphy .... Tiller Man (uncredited)
    Hugh Prosser .... Captain of Guard (uncredited)
    Milly Reauclaire .... Wife (uncredited)
    Norbert Schiller .... Timekeeper (uncredited)
    Bill Shannon .... Officer (uncredited)
    Charles Soldani .... (uncredited)
    Charles Stevens .... Ruri (uncredited)
    Glenn Strange .... Chief Galley Overseer (uncredited)
    Nick Thompson .... Beggar on Street (uncredited)
    Teri Toy .... Wife (uncredited)
    Max Wagner .... Assistant Overseer (uncredited)
    Phil Warren .... (uncredited)
    Joan Webster .... Wife (uncredited)
    Ben Welden .... Commoner (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    John Twist (story) and

George Worthing Yates (story)

John Twist (screenplay)

Cinematography
    George Barnes

Trivia
    RKO had to scuttle its plan to present this film as a 1946 Christmas-season attraction when a strike at the Technicolor processing plant delayed the making of prints. The wide-release date would be moved up to January 13, 1947, with the Manhattan opening at the Palace Theatre following on January 22, 1947. Needing a black-and-white movie for its 1946 yuletide schedule, RKO chose a film destined to become a holiday perennial: Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life.

"The Hedda Hopper Show - This Is Hollywood" broadcast a 30 minute radio adaptation of the movie on March 29, 1947 with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Maureen O'Hara reprising their film roles.

Memorable Quotes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Sinbad the Sailor is a 1947 Technicolor fantasy film
    starring Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Maureen O'Hara, Anthony Quinn, and Walter Slezak
    It tells the tale of the "eighth" voyage of Sinbad,
    wherein he discovers the lost treasure of Alexander the Great.
    - from the opening title card

Great mystic adventure,and quite a rarity.
    with the great Douglas Fairbanks. Jr.
    Maureen, was as her beautiful self,
    in this lush colourful production.
    Florid Classic,

MV5BMzk2N2NhMmYtMzFjNS00YzlhLWIwNWYtOTNiNzI5NzZiMTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc4Njg5MjA@._V1_.jpg

User Review
    Author: telegonus from brighton, ma

After I first saw this charming film I was puzzled by its relative obscurity. It isn't exactly unknown, but scarcely anyone regards it as a classic. Aside from me, that is. The Technicolor photography of George Barnes is Oscar-worthy, with its bright blues and reds it evokes the best of Wyeth and Pyle. On its color alone the movie can bear comparison with the best of Powell and Pressburger, and yet no one the best of my knowledge has ever made such a comparison. The sets are grand, and the lost island kingdom makes a lovely visual set-piece. Art directors Clark and D'Agostino deserve special mention as well. John Twist's script cannot be called brilliant, but it is reasonably clever, and if not particularly inspired, neither are the scripts of most of the better known swashbucklers that Flynn and Power made. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. is suitably dashing as the wily Sinbad. His is a graceful, even gracious presence, and he has a bird-like swiftness to him that I find pleasing, appropriate to his character's basic elusiveness, and he never overdoes it. While he looks at times a bit mature for such a boy's hero type it's worth keeping in mind that a too-youthful Sinbad wouldn't be a good thing, either, as it's as important that the character convey experience as it is for him to engage in swordplay. That this take on Sinbad presents him as somewhat of a philosopher, it's just as well that Fairbanks appears to be in early middle age, and therefore to have had some years to reflect on life.

Richard Wallace directs the film capably. The pace isn't as quick as one might always wish, yet this is more than compensated for by the movie's visual lushness. Maureen O'Hara makes an agreeable if incongruously Hibernian leading lady, while Anthony Quinn is more quiet than usual as a bad guy. Walter Slezak, as the devious Melik, steals the film acting-wise, giving an outrageously effete yet disciplined performance, with subtle hints of homosexuality, that is as good as anything that Rathbone or Laughton ever did, and far less hammy. Many of the supporting players,--Sheldon Leonard, George Tobias, Ben Welden, Mike Mazurki--suggest Damon Runyon in the Orient, and while absurd they are no worse than the standard-issue Brits that usually played these kinds of roles. They are also, like the film itself, a lot of fun, and a delightful change of pace.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I see that this title is available at Amazon in VHS for a reasonable price, but if you want it in DVD, be prepared to shell out some $$$ - $73.97 for a "New, Import Version" at Amazon!! DeepDiscountDVD doesn't even have it.

It sounds like a pretty neat movie, but alas - I don't really want to get any more VHS tapes, and I'm not willing to pay through the nose for a DVD.

How many of you folks have seen this film?

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi all,
    I finally bought this VHS and watched a half of it last night. Very bright color and Maureen is unbelivable beautiful, real queen of Technicolor.
    But wtat is funn about some old films that they were shoot mainly in the pavilons, not at the locations. It's a pity.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• :wink_smile:

Maureen has openly rebelled always be put forward for its beauty, she wanted to make films with a real role in its action, not a role "decorative" as she says herself.

Still, it's the film that caused the trigger in me. I vaguely knew his career, but from the film viewed on a TV channel, my admiration for this actress, "an Irish Rebel," was boundless ... especially to obtain the films not released in France.

It is also the reason that pushes me to show clips little or no known in France.

a small video

and the Original trailer

Good reading!

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 2 times, last by Romy ().

• Thanks Paula,

Good idea.

I love Sinbad the Sailor, I recorded it off TV many years ago and haven't seen it on TV since!
    It'll be good to retire the DVD, copied from VHS , I've been watching all these years.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"