Kicking The Moon Around (1938)

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,879 times. The latest Post () was by Romy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• KICKING THE MOON AROUND
    aka Millionaire Merry-Go-Round

DIRECTED BY WALTER FORDE
    PRODUCED BY HERBERT WYNNE
    VOGUE PICTURES INC.

download.jpeg

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    In an effort to discover whether his fiancee is a golddigger
    a millionaire's son pretends to have lost all his money.

Full Cast
    Bert Ambrose .... Himself (as Ambrose)
    Evelyn Dall .... Pepper Martin
    Harry Richman .... Harry
    Florence Desmond .... Flo Hadley
    Hal Thompson .... Bobbie Hawkes
    C. Denier Warren .... Mark Browd
    Leslie Carew .... Streamline
    Julian Vedey .... Herbert Stoker
    Max Bacon .... Gus
    Davy Burnaby .... Magistrate
    George Carney .... Police Constable Truscott
    Edward Rigby .... Prof. Scattlebury
    Maureen O'Hara .... Secretary

Writing Credits
    Thomas J. Geraghty (story)
    Michael Hogan

Cinematography
    Francis Carver

Trivia
    Maureen O'Hara's film debut

Filming Location
    Pinewood Studios, Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire, England, UK

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Kicking the Moon Around is a 1938 British musical comedy film directed by Walter Forde
    and starring Bert Ambrose, Evelyn Dall and Harry Richman.
    In an effort to discover whether his fiancee is a golddigger
    a millionaire's son pretends to have lost all his money.
    The film marked Maureen O'Hara's screen debut as she
    made a cameo appearance speaking one line.

A small role for Maureen, in this early film.
    It was to be the first film, in which she had a feature role,
    making an appearance and speaking her first ever line

While training at the Abbey Theatre, Maureen
    was asked to do a screen test, at Elstree Studios.
    It wasn't all to her liking, but Charles Laughton and his partner,
    Eric Pommer who owned Mayflower Pictures,
    saw it,and offered her a seven year contract.

The hard work paid off, and in 1938 at the age of 18,
    she got the bit part of a secretary in this,her first film.

The rest, as they say, is history!!!

User Review

Just Sing the "Cheer-Up" Song!!
    31 October 2002 | by pcronin (Chicago)

This depression-era film of 1938 set in London is great fun to watch and sing along with, too! And the story is fun, too: Ambrose, a millionaire investor who just found out he's struck it rich with another great investment that paid off big, decides to test his fiance Pepper by pretending he's gone bankrupt and is worthless or worse! Naturally she doesn't find it so amusing and calls the whole thing off. This amid his "tramps parade" party where the elite meets the street and hobnobs it with the hoi-polloi featuring among a couple of charming song and dance numbers by Harry Richman including "You're What's the Matter With Me"... Ambrose finds love for a song in the record shop girl who he "discovers" by cutting her a record that breaks up his sceptic pals. Primadonna Pepper the next aspiring Hepburn-wannabe is tricked into thinking she has a film contract awaiting in Hollywood, only to catch Ambrose's sidekick and secretary(Maureen O'Hara in her first feature role to date)play-acting producers on the phone in the next room! Meanwhile workers of the world unite in the park to rally against the oppression of the masses when it is discovered that the good natured accordianist who plays the cheer-up song to the tune of "March Militaire" is the shop girl's uncle she has to bail out every so often. Naturally there is a happy ending and if you get the chance to pick up a copy of this rare find, it is recommended that you will enjoy.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• :wink_smile:

Maureen, in his autobiography, refuses this film in his official filmography!

I will say no more ...

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• :wink_smile:

To be more specific, here's what Maureen says in his biography:

"A few days later, Mammy and I were on the mail boat heading to London.

The first thing I did when I arrived in London was to go and see Harry Richman and thank him for recommending the screen test. He was at Elstree filming a comedy called "Kicking the Moon Around". Mammy and I stopped by the set and Richman introduced me to the film's director, Walter Forde. Since I was there, Forde asked me if I would deliver a line in the movie. Later, after I became a star, I was surprised when the film was released billing Maureen O'Hara as a star in the movie.It's not true.I was not a cast member and do not consider "Kicking the Moon Around" part of my official filmography. I only agreed to deliver the line as a favor to Harry Richman for his having helped me with my screen test.

I wasn't nervous about my first screen test. I really didn't care one way or the other about it, which, perhaps, was for the best. They rushed me to wardrobe and makeup as soon as I arrived. What happened next still makes me laugh. They dressed me in a gold lamé gown with accordion pleats that hung from my arms like wings, and tranformed me with heavy makeup into a Mata Hari look-alike. The result was that I looked like a ten-dollar hooker. It was ridiculous ........."

The director took advantage of his fame!

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush: