My Irish Molly (1938)

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,233 times. The latest Post () was by Romy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• MY IRISH MOLLY

PRODUCED BY JOHN ARGYLE
    DIRECTED BY ALEX BRYCE
    JOHN ARGYLE PRODUCTIONS
    ASSOCIATED BRITISH FILM PRODUCERS

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Filmed in 1938, My Irish Molly was released in US in 1940 to capitalize on the popularity of Maureen O'Hara. The actress enjoys top billing in the American prints, but the film's real star is juvenile music-hall star Binkie Stuart as the titular Molly. An orphan girl, poor but plucky Molly is continually persecuted by her harridan of an aunt (Maureen Moore), who withholds the fact that the girl is an heiress. The return of emigrant Bob (Philip Reed) from New York to the Auld Sod-the better to be reunited with his sweetheart Eileen (O'Hara)--leads to Molly's rescue from her tormentor. In other words, My Irish Molly is a Shirley Temple flick without Shirley Temple. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Full Cast
    Binkie Stuart ... Molly Martin
    Tom Burke ... Sonny Gallagher
    Phillip Reed ... Bob
    Maureen O'Hara ... Eileen O'Shea (as Maureen FitzSimons)
    Maire O'Neill ... Mrs. O'Shea
    C. Denier Warren ... Chuck
    Maureen Moore ... Hannah Delaney
    Franklin Kelsey ... Liam Delaney
    Leo McCabe ... Corney

Original Music
    Guy Jones

Cinematography
    Ernest Palmer

Memorable Quotes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• My Irish Molly is a 1938 British musical film directed by Alex Bryce
    and starring Binkie Stuart, Tom Burke and Maureen O'Hara.
    A young orphan runs away from her mean-spirited guardian to live with her aunt.
    O'Hara appeared in the film under her real name of Maureen FitzSimons.

My_Irish_Molly.jpg

A very poor film, that even pre-fame Maureen could save!!
    At this time, Hollywood were attempting to find another
    Shirley Temple, in this instance, it didn't work!!
    Young musical hall star Binkie Stuart,
    stole the show.
    However, young Maureen's time, would come!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Maureen wasn't in her popular as it was her first movie, lol so it kind hard to say it was in her popularity

• Maureen wasn't in her popular as it was her first movie, lol so it kind hard to say it was in her popularity

Thanks MaureenOHaraFan,
    I have made an official WELCOME on the appropriate thred.
    This information is quoted from,
    Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
    thanks for pointing this out.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• His first musical film, low budget, made with the only real name Maureen FitzSimons. She knew from reading the script that this film would be a flop ... But Laughton wanted her to do to learn to be comfortable on camera.

A short video

Tell me if you have problems to read
    :thumbs_up:

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 4 times, last by Romy ().

• :wink_smile:

................................ The pictures from the film ........................

• Great pics Romy. I have this film on VHS tape, but it's a tad fuzzy and rather dark. I can't even remember if she was credited as "Maureen FitzSimons" or "Maureen O'Hara" - pretty sure it was FitzSimons. I haven't used my old tape player for so long I don't want to risk checking it.

When she appeared on the set of "Kicking the Moon Around" aka "Million Dollar Merry-go-round" she was just brought into a scene as an impromptu thing to see how the cameras liked her (Laughton didn't arrange that one - I think her agent from the Abbey did). She wasn't given credit for that scene (she had just a few lines) until she became famous. Maureen, herself, doesn't even acknowledge the film. However, it's all part of her start in the industry.

June

• Hi June,
    My version is also very poor. Besides the title, I have no credits (except Philip Reed)!
    That's why I put tiny pictures.
    In his book, Maureen wrote about this film: "It's the only picture That I made under my real name, Maureen FitzSimons." I think we can trust him ...

Edited 2 times, last by Romy ().