My Irish Molly (1938)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Romy.

• My Irish Molly (1938)

MY IRISH MOLLY

PRODUCED BY JOHN ARGYLE
      DIRECTED BY ALEX BRYCE
      JOHN ARGYLE PRODUCTIONS
      ASSOCIATED BRITISH FILM PRODUCERS

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
      Filmed in 1938, My Irish Molly was released in US in 1940 to capitalize on the popularity of Maureen O'Hara. The actress enjoys top billing in the American prints, but the film's real star is juvenile music-hall star Binkie Stuart as the titular Molly. An orphan girl, poor but plucky Molly is continually persecuted by her harridan of an aunt (Maureen Moore), who withholds the fact that the girl is an heiress. The return of emigrant Bob (Philip Reed) from New York to the Auld Sod-the better to be reunited with his sweetheart Eileen (O'Hara)--leads to Molly's rescue from her tormentor. In other words, My Irish Molly is a Shirley Temple flick without Shirley Temple. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Full Cast
      Binkie Stuart ... Molly Martin
      Tom Burke ... Sonny Gallagher
      Phillip Reed ... Bob
      Maureen O'Hara ... Eileen O'Shea (as Maureen FitzSimons)
      Maire O'Neill ... Mrs. O'Shea
      C. Denier Warren ... Chuck
      Maureen Moore ... Hannah Delaney
      Franklin Kelsey ... Liam Delaney
      Leo McCabe ... Corney

Original Music
      Guy Jones

Cinematography
      Ernest Palmer

Memorable Quotes
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• My Irish Molly is a 1938 British musical film directed by Alex Bryce
      and starring Binkie Stuart, Tom Burke and Maureen O'Hara.
      A young orphan runs away from her mean-spirited guardian to live with her aunt.
      O'Hara appeared in the film under her real name of Maureen FitzSimons.

My_Irish_Molly.jpg

A very poor film, that even pre-fame Maureen could save!!
      At this time, Hollywood were attempting to find another
      Shirley Temple, in this instance, it didn't work!!
      Young musical hall star Binkie Stuart,
      stole the show.
      However, young Maureen's time, would come!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Maureen O' Hara- My Irish Molly

ethanedwards wrote:

MY IRISH MOLLY

dukewayne.com/index.php?attach…a33ee6e6772d691b3785e25a3

Information from IMDb

DIRECTED BY ALEX BRYCE

Plot Summary

Filmed in 1938, My Irish Molly was released in US in 1940 to capitalize on the popularity of Maureen O'Hara. The actress enjoys top billing in the American prints, but the film's real star is juvenile music-hall star Binkie Stuart as the titular Molly. An orphan girl, poor but plucky Molly is continually persecuted by her harridan of an aunt (Maureen Moore), who withholds the fact that the girl is an heiress. The return of emigrant Bob (Philip Reed) from New York to the Auld Sod-the better to be reunited with his sweetheart Eileen (O'Hara)--leads to Molly's rescue from her tormentor. In other words, My Irish Molly is a Shirley Temple flick without Shirley Temple. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Full Cast

Binkie Stuart .... Molly Martin
      Tom Burke .... Sonny Gallagher
      Phillip Reed .... Bob
      Maureen O'Hara .... Eileen O'Shea (as Maureen Fitzsimmons)
      Maire O'Neill .... Mrs. O'Shea
      C. Denier Warren .... Chuck
      Maureen Moore .... Hannah Delaney
      Franklin Kelsey .... Liam Delaney
      Leo McCabe .... Corney

Writing credits
      Alex Bryce

Produced by
      John Argyle .... producer

Maureen wasn't in her popular as it was her first movie, lol so it kind hard to say it was in her popularity
    • Re: Maureen O' Hara- My Irish Molly

MaureenOHaraFan wrote:

Maureen wasn't in her popular as it was her first movie, lol so it kind hard to say it was in her popularity

Thanks MaureenOHaraFan,
      I have made an official WELCOME on the appropriate thred.
      This information is quoted from,
      Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
      thanks for pointing this out.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: Maureen O' Hara- My Irish Molly (1938)

[I]His first musical film, low budget, made ​​with the only real name Maureen FitzSimons. She knew from reading the script that this film would be a flop ... But Laughton wanted her to do to learn to be comfortable on camera.[/I]

A short video

Tell me if you have problems to read
      :thumbs_up:

The post was edited 4 times, last by Romy ().

Great pics Romy. I have this film on VHS tape, but it's a tad fuzzy and rather dark. I can't even remember if she was credited as "Maureen FitzSimons" or "Maureen O'Hara" - pretty sure it was FitzSimons. I haven't used my old tape player for so long I don't want to risk checking it.

When she appeared on the set of "Kicking the Moon Around" aka "Million Dollar Merry-go-round" she was just brought into a scene as an impromptu thing to see how the cameras liked her (Laughton didn't arrange that one - I think her agent from the Abbey did). She wasn't given credit for that scene (she had just a few lines) until she became famous. Maureen, herself, doesn't even acknowledge the film. However, it's all part of her start in the industry.

June

Hi June,
      My version is also very poor. Besides the title, I have no credits (except Philip Reed)!
      That's why I put tiny pictures.
      In his book, Maureen wrote about this film: "It's the only picture That I made ​​under my real name, Maureen FitzSimons." I think we can trust him ...

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
      French-English translation: poor !!!
      :blush:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Romy ().