Monument Valley, Arizona

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 108 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Re: Duke's Movie Locations- Monument Valley, Arizona

How much was the rental on the horses, and how long are the tours? I can imagine, however long it was, it wasn't long enough.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

dukefan1 wrote:

How much was the rental on the horses, and how long are the tours? I can imagine, however long it was, it wasn't long enough.

Mark

They vary depending on who you use, there are quite a few in the area. A lot are an hour, waste of time IMO as that's far too short, then they do sunset treks which are 2 hours, awesome, a must do, how the light changes at Monument Valley every minute at that time is amazing. You can also bespoke if you're willing to pay outside the pre-organised tours.

We did a day trek, 4 hours, and a sunset trek, 2 hrs. If you haven't ridden before 4 hours may be a bit harsh!

They are pretty relaxed, not polished 'guided tours' like some with the rangers at national parks can be, but I actually prefer the less 'school teacher' approach, gives you time to really soak up the atmosphere. I took most of the more dramatic shots when on horseback.

I'll put a few pics of the trekking on too, you may as well see all our pics ;)

To me, on horseback would be the only way to see Monument Valley. Another great photo, Dooley. We don't mind seeing all of your pics. Some of us can't get enough of that beautiful landscape. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

dukefan1 wrote:

To me, on horseback would be the only way to see Monument Valley. Another great photo, Dooley. We don't mind seeing all of your pics. Some of us can't get enough of that beautiful landscape. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I agree Horseback is the only way.

I tried to keep as much 'civilisation' out of the pics as possible: roads, telegraph poles, cars etc. Thankfully not too difficult around Monument Valley, Mexican Hat etc.

Great shot and when you compare them to the original scenes,
      taken from our opening post, looks like nothing has changed!

Dooley wrote:

Stagecoach.
      Somehow I prefer the pics when I do a black and white conversion.

Dooley,

Stagecoach- Location Photos

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Great shot and when you compare them to the original scenes,
      taken from our opening post, looks like nothing has changed!

Dooley,

Stagecoach- Location Photos

Thanks Keith,

I did try to shoot most of the angles I could remember from Searchers, Fort Apache and Stagecoach; tricky when you're on a fiesty Mustang named Geronimo!

Hi

We have just got back from spending a fortnight touring the national parks which included visits to Moab Sedona Grand Canyon and of course Monument Valley. MV is absolutely as I imagined it would be and staying overnight at Gouldings and watching the sun rise over Monument Valley was something I will never forget.
      There is a stone which is called John Waynes Boot for obvious reasons. And I got to get on a horse, (the first time in 45 years) at John Ford point.
      Sitting on our balcony looking up the valley you could visualise where some of the films were shot altogether a fantastic occasion.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

.. ..