PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 140,502 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I may follow your lead and start using the jewel cases again, Keith, with covers printed from the site you showed us. I used those smaller cases at one time, with self-adhesive [mailing] labels I printed showing only the titles, main players, year, running times and whether they were color or B&W. But they were printed only in B&W and didn't look too great. I liked them because they took up much less space, but then I went back to using the regular-sized cases with their commercially-printed covers, since they looked better. But with the site you've given us, I could use the smaller cases again and still have good looking labels.

I wouldn't even have to buy many new jewel cases, since I've stored the ones I formerly used (I'm a packrat and hate to throw away anything. :wink:)

With the thinner jewel cases, I might even be able to get all my movies into one bookcase, which would be great.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• That sure uses a lot of ink printing those covers, Keith. I could probably buy another bookcase for what the ink will cost. :wink_smile:

Jim, that is the big problem with doing it that way.
    I am lucky, as I cover the ink useage,
    in the sale price

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• While we're on the subject of printer ink, let me say something and then get some advice from our computer experts.

Currently, I have a Canon all-in-one inkjet. The Canon ink costs an arm-and-a-leg. Since I hardly ever print anything that requires a colored ink (almost all my printing is text only), I'm giving serious thought to giving the inkjet to one of my kids and buying myself a monochrome laser printer.

Anyone on the board use a laser and if so, can you recommend a make and model? I've been doing a bit of online research and the Brother lasers get pretty good reviews. Toner cartridges for a laser cost about $46. on Amazon w/free shipping but according to what I've read, they last much longer than the inkjet color cartridges. Any recommendations?

• I don't use a laser at home, I use one at work but it is a expensive Lexmark brand. Those are very nice printers. I am not sure what the price of a laser printer from them would be though. I have a all in one Canon as well it it sure is a ink hog, like you are saying. Nice printer though.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I don't use a laser at home, I use one at work but it is a expensive Lexmark brand. Those are very nice printers. I am not sure what the price of a laser printer from them would be though.

Compared to the HP or Canon the Lexmark is cheaper. I have used them and cleaned them and they work fine as does the HP. Brother also makes a nice laser printer. Part replacement is what costs on a laser, along with the cartridge itself.

• Jim, I print my own inlays for professional use and they are as good as anything in the shops.

Have you seen this site ,
    http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers
    whereby you tap in the movie's title
    and it will let you print off the original film inlay!

Dumb old me, Keith.

Remember our conversation about this subject, in which I said I wish I had professional-looking labels for the thinner DVD cases? You then suggested the above site for printing my own labels, which I tried, but then decided the process used too much of that very expensive printer ink. Well, it just dawned on me that I can, in most cases, remove the professional artwork from the thicker cases I already have and reuse the same labels on the thinner cases.

For some reason, I was under the impression that those labels couldn't be removed from the commercially-produced cases but today I explored the possibility and discovered that in most instances, the paper-label artwork is just slipped under a clear plastic cover and is easily removed. So I guess you know what my next project will be.

• I just bought a Pioneer all-region DVD player so I can play some of the discs my friends have sent me from other regions. Works great right out of the box. Got it from Amazon for only about $75. S&H included.

• Ok, I need some help!!! I have a program that seems to have loaded itself on to my computer called Antimalware Doctor. It keeps popping up and telling me my computer is infected, or someone is stealing my info and I need to run their scan to clean my computer. But, of course, I need to buy the FULL version (as the one I have is a trial). I can't get rid of the damn thing and can't work on my computer because of it. I tried system restore, I tried removing it with add/remove program. Nothing works. It won't go away. Here is a pic of the program.

When I hit remove from the add/remove program, it just loads instead of removing. I have webroot antivirus program on my computer and I have ran it several times, but the Antimalware Doctor won't go away.I know it is a trojan or something, sohow can I get rid of it? any help will be appreciated. I'm frazzled!!!!!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Mark,

This is getting to be more and more of a problem with computers today. Viruses loading themselves and claiming to be an antivirus program that finds all these problems on your computer but that you can't get rid of. Whatever you do, don't pay the ransom money. You'll only dig a deeper hole.

Try out this link and see if you're able to get rid of it after following the steps it explains.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co…remove-antimalware-doctor

Keep us posted.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Thanks for the info, Tbone. My Wife had found that link you gave and proceded to follow the instructions. It worked like a charm. It was driving me crazy while it lasted. But, I am now up and running smoothly again. Thanks again!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• if only that was my problem son on hoildays for 2 weeks used up an entire months lot of internet allowance so am now down to dial-up speed and cant get a lot of things to load. will have to look into getting a bigger allowance per month for my internet

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Glad to be of help folks!

I always say if I could get the @$#$@% people that write this junk in a closed room with a baseball bat, I could have all our problems solved inside of 5 minutes. :tank:

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."