Did The Duke Do His Own Stunts?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 21 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dukefan1.

• Re: Did The Duke Do His Own Stunts?

I think there were two horses. The one he rode in True Grit and the Undefeated (and Kirk Douglas rode in the War Wagon) I think was Dollor which Harry Carey said was a mean horse that kicked everything that came up behind it. The one he used in the later movies was Dollar but it could be the other way around.

"The bucking horse in Hondo is Cocaine, blaze dyed out, with Chuck Roberson on him, with Duke getting on to do the close ups. "

except you can clearly see Chuck Hayward as the rider, not Roberson.

tinker wrote:

I was really surprised the first time I realised that it was Duke carrying Quincy. I think it was Duke who did the drunk fall off the horse too.

***I think that was Jim Burke who took the fall. There's a cut right before and again right after. Then Duke is show on the ground but not quite in the same position as the guy falling off. No real reason to risk Duke especially since it was a backward-type fall where he could have been hurt.

Roberson did the ride down the cliffs in Hondo, breaking his ankle when Cocaine did the fall in the gully. The fall is done in one take, Roberson and Cocaine go down and Duke who was hiding in the gully stands up.

***I may be mis-remembering, but I thought Chuck said in his book that due to his broken ankle, veteran Cliff Lyons actually did that fall into the gully (where Duke was laying unseen). The Duke popped up-very smooth stuntwork regardless!

You can see it is clearly Chuck Roberson in a couple of the falls in McLintock in the fight in the general store. It is clearly Duke doing the gallop up the hill to the Indian hanging. Chuck Roberson is riding beside him.

****I think Roberson doubled Duke in the general store spot due to Duke having hurt his tailbone in the earlier wagon-jump scene.

***I may be mis-remembering, but I thought Chuck said in his book that due to his broken ankle, veteran Cliff Lyons actually did that fall into the gully (where Duke was laying unseen). The Duke popped up-very smooth stuntwork regardless!

Read the book a few months ago and Roberson said it was him, they got it in the shot he broke his ankle.

"The bucking horse in Hondo is Cocaine, blaze dyed out, with Chuck Roberson on him, with Duke getting on to do the close ups. "

except you can clearly see Chuck Hayward as the rider, not Roberson.

Pretty sure Roberson says its him and Cocaine in the book. He describes using a bucking strap on Cocaine to make him buck but maybe he got pictures mixed up. He mixes a few others up.

Good excuse to read the book again :)
    • Duke doesn't carry Quincy in TRUE GRIT. True, there's no edit, but Rooster disappears for a second during the shot. That's when they made the switch between him and the stunt man.

Duke didn't make that horse jump at the end of the movie either, because if he had, there's no way they would've cut away in the middle of it. They would've shown it all in one unbroken shot and made sure we saw his face the whole time.
    • Duke did indeed do many of his own stunts when he was younger and doing quickie westerns, and some time beyond. When he got older, not so much. I can't speak about whether or not he carried Quincy earlier in the film, but I have read in several different books about John Wayne that he did indeed make that jump over the fence at the end of True Grit.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">