Pinned Politics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Re: Politics

He's on his way. Big brown parcel with lots of string. Sorry there is no return address LOL.

Well Stumpy, who do you reckon the contenders are going for 2008 race.

Personally ,John Mc Cain seems the most credible from what I have heard and seen of him. I keep having this recurring nightmare of the Hilary thing no please tell me it is a nightmare Ahh. Mind you it might galvanise Republican voters to come out and vote.

In terms of Presidents you never really know who is good or bad until about 20 years after they have left office.

Funny, I was reading a book about Presidents at Christmas time and if it had not been for intervention of Ross Perot it is possible that Bush Sr would have won his second term and Dole could have won through in 1996.

Colorado Bob wrote:

Howdy All,
      How does one describe a wedgie other than uncomfortable? Maybe a better description would be a Pelosi. In fact, I would like to ask for a vote among a members of this prestigious forum, that we, from this point on, refer to a wedgie as a "Pelosi." All in favor say "aye", all opposed, stand to the left.
      Colorado Bob

AYE:glare: ! All this talk a few weeks ago of bipartisanship and she dumps it all in one fell swoop:headbonk: !!? Pelosi and Clinton - two of the most prominent devil-witches around:devil_smile: .
      Cheers - Jay:beer:

Hiy Stumpy

First of all can I say how dare you start a discussion on politics on this board. :wink:

No seriously I honestly don't mind little political debates. As for Tony Blair I understand why many Americans will like him as he has been a steadfast supporter of president Bush and helped maintain and improve the special relationship between America and the UK, this is something which I am in favour of.

However here in the UK mainly in England there is a weird phenomenon called 'open prisons'. Yesterday on the news the head of these prisons told the British public that many people have escaped from these prisons but he can't put a figure on it because there is no way of ever knowing how many were in them in the first place. I find this unacceptable that there are prisons in which the inmates can leave more or less of their own accord and to make things worse these inmates are guility of some pretty horrendous crimes despite the spin the government may put on it. I blame the Blair government for this situation in the UK as they have been soft on crime and soft on the causes of crime yet tough on workers and or motorists by a never ending stream of tax increases.

The real grievance I have with British politics is the so called leader of the opposition who offers nothing new and is virtually a cutout of Tony Blair. Its likely that he will become primeminister in the future, yet he has no policies and doesn't differentiate from Blair on much at all. He wants to be all things to all people and will make for a pretty awful primeminister in my humble opinion.

Well thats my political vent over for today, I'm sure I will get lots of criticism by fellow posters but hopefully nobody reading my post will be too offended.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

Hi Robbie

You forgot to mention his beloved successor Gordon Brown the Kama Sutra of taxation he knows all the positions and angles and he always ensures you end up screwed!!!

Anyway I'll enjoy working to 95. Give me somewhere warm and dry to go every day.

No Taxation without Representation.

Damn it all the good slogans are alway used!!

Robbie wrote:

Hiy Stumpy

First of all can I say how dare you start a discussion on politics on this board. :wink:

No seriously I honestly don't mind little political debates. As for Tony Blair I understand why many Americans will like him as he has been a steadfast supporter of president Bush and helped maintain and improve the special relationship between America and the UK, this is something which I am in favour of.

However here in the UK mainly in England there is a weird phenomenon called 'open prisons'. Yesterday on the news the head of these prisons told the British public that many people have escaped from these prisons but he can't put a figure on it because there is no way of ever knowing how many were in them in the first place. I find this unacceptable that there are prisons in which the inmates can leave more or less of their own accord and to make things worse these inmates are guility of some pretty horrendous crimes despite the spin the government may put on it. I blame the Blair government for this situation in the UK as they have been soft on crime and soft on the causes of crime yet tough on workers and or motorists by a never ending stream of tax increases.

The real grievance I have with British politics is the so called leader of the opposition who offers nothing new and is virtually a cutout of Tony Blair. Its likely that he will become primeminister in the future, yet he has no policies and doesn't differentiate from Blair on much at all. He wants to be all things to all people and will make for a pretty awful primeminister in my humble opinion.

Well thats my political vent over for today, I'm sure I will get lots of criticism by fellow posters but hopefully nobody reading my post will be too offended.

My ancestry is Scotch-Irish so I've always been a pretty staunch Anglophile. But they sure don't make Prime Ministers like they used to. Where's Winnie when we need him most?

I try to keep up with events occurring in the British Isles and I read stuff almost every day that shocks and saddens me. It's sure not the British Empire I once knew that set the standard for the rest of the world.

DukePilgrim wrote:

Well Stumpy, who do you reckon the contenders are going for 2008 race.

Currently, there's nota single candidate being mentioned that I would vote for, especially John McCain. And I'd cut off my right arm before I'd vote for any Democrat.

The only politician for whom I'd vote for president has not been mentioned as a candidate and probably wouldn't get the nomination even if he decided to run because he has principles and fights for them. Not only that but he has made a lot of other politicians mad by trying to stop all the wasteful spending that goes on in Washington. His name is Tom Coburn and he's a senator from Oklahoma.

Fiscal responsibility is my "hot-button" issue - in fact, it trumps all others. And over the past six or seven years, I've been unable to tell Republicans from Democrats when it comes to spending foolishly. Furthermore, Bush has not vetoed a single spending bill since he's been in office, which ticks me off no end.

Hi Stumpy

I know what you mean the amount of money wasted on "crap" is unbelievable.
      No one takes responsibility and it will all end in tears.

On a purely economic basis it is only a matter of time before the amount of debt they are amassing is going to come crashing down on us all.

I havent heard of Tom Coburn I will keep a look out for news on him.

Mike

Colorado Bob wrote:

Howdy All,
      How does one describe a wedgie other than uncomfortable? Maybe a better description would be a Pelosi. In fact, I would like to ask for a vote among a members of this prestigious forum, that we, from this point on, refer to a wedgie as a "Pelosi." All in favor say "aye", all opposed, stand to the left.
      Colorado Bob

Hi Colorado Bob, I think that is cool, you have my vote on it. ################################################# ###################### #####.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Stumpy

Overall I have lost faith in politicians on this side of the pond, one good thing they have done is to introduce the smoking ban which comes into effect from April onwards. This makes it illegal for people to smoke inside public buildings such as bars and retaurants as well as at places of work. I don't smoke and it will be nice to go into pubs etc which have very poor ventilation in general and not come out gasping for air or smelling of smoke. Even many smokers I have talked to think its a good idea as its an extra incentive for them to give up.

Regards
      Robbie

Hi Robbie

Looking forward to April and smoking ban long overdue.

How come smokers when they finish a meal have to light up (and I dont mean like Christmas trees) it really annoys me no end. If I wanted to smoke I would have taken it up myself.

Mind you since the smoke ban affecting most work places its amazing how many you meet at lunchtime walking around outside using their ciggies like Darth Vadar light sabres!!!

Guess the smokers will be getting to enjoy our inclement weather hope they bring their umbrellas!!!

Mike

Hi Mike

I agree completely but its been years since the Irish government implemented it in the Republic and even Scotland have had the ban imposed for some time now, as usual Northern Ireland is lagging behind.

I was talking to a pub owner in the Republic about the smoking ban and how if has effected trade. He told me that there really isnt much difference and in addition to this his cleaning and decorating bills are down dramatically as the walls are not as black (from the smoke) as they once were.

Regards
      Robbie

Hi Robbie

I went down for a shopping trip to Dublin awhile back and it is noticable the difference in pubs and restaurants.

One of my first jobs was in a confectionary /tobacco wholesalers and I shared a room with a boss who chained smoke.

George owned the business and went through 200 cigareetes every two days. I tried my best to be elsewhere and only when I was on the phone with orders I exposed big time to the smoke. Needless to say my clothes smelt like a smoker but I can only imagine what it would have been like to my health if had stayed there longtime.

Mike

Mike

I can relate to that type of a workplace but thankfully it will occur no longer.

I also remember walking into a pub in Dublin, not realising there was a smloking ban and being struck by how clear the air was inside the pub and how the smell was much better, I then remembered about the ban and longed for a time when it would come North.

Regards
      Robbie

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">