Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 823,630 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• You guys our spoilt, you should see the standard of politicians we have here in Northern Ireland, i'd love to feel apart of a power country like the US

Ditto our politicians here are what Father Ted (actually more Father Jack and Dougall) was to the Catholic church except they make you cry instead of laugh!!

• I would say a lot of countries around the world are going through what happened in 1930s before authoritarian regimes came to power and unfortunately the anti terrorism laws created after 9/11 have left the door open to future unsavory governments.

• You guys our spoilt, you should see the standard of politicians we have here in Northern Ireland, i'd love to feel apart of a power country like the US

Hey Irish, if you ever decide to move to the USA--ill sponsor ya. :lol:

PS, down with the British. Just kidding of course. :lol::lol:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Last time I went through Tennessee they already had a Belfast.:wink_smile: so apart from a whole lot of us already being there and giving you your best Presidents etc etc etc

We dont have alot of Irish folks here in Texas--even though im half-Irish myself. We need more ;-))

• I was watching the news last night and MAYBE there is hope for the USA. IF there is anything good that can come from the murders of our Embassador and the three other Americans in Bengazi???? it might be the conviction of billery clinton and the witch being sent to prison thus ending the liberals hopes the wicked with of Endor will run in 2016. I cant wait till Wednesday happens because--three State Dept Whistle-blowers are going to start spilling the beans to Congress. Also, some senators are saying that its also an Impeachable offense too-so maybe obama bin ladins rule may be coming to an end? :lol;:lol::lol:

• Once we get there in numbers Ringo we will invade Mexico! Thats were you are going wrong.

Heh heh, wanna hear a funny? On St Patricks Day this year--i saw few caucasion wearing anything green. I would have but forgot to do so. The vast majority of those who i saw wearing green and observing the day were Hispanics. :lol::lol::lol:

• DukePilgrim - I'm at a loss regarding your remarks about Tennessee...Since I'm living here again, where exactly IS our Belfast here in the "Greenest state in the land of the free?!"

BTW Carl, there are far more Irish living in the Lone Star state than you might realize! ;)

One could always hope so. I wonder if any look like Maureen O'Hara? in her younger years of course (SIGH)

• One could always hope so. I wonder if any look like Maureen O'Hara? in her younger years of course (SIGH)

Haha I think you'll find Maureen was one of a kind! She was lucky in that she had pretty much the perfect stereotypical look for an Irish girl that Hollywood would have been after at the time. It's all fake tan and false eyelashes these days.

• DukePilgrim - I'm at a loss regarding your remarks about Tennessee...Since I'm living here again, where exactly IS our Belfast here in the "Greenest state in the land of the free?!"

BTW Carl, there are far more Irish living in the Lone Star state than you might realize! ;)

It's a blink and you miss it place but of all the places to come off the freeway it was there. It is in Marshall County Zip Code 37019

• Haha I think you'll find Maureen was one of a kind! She was lucky in that she had pretty much the perfect stereotypical look for an Irish girl that Hollywood would have been after at the time. It's all fake tan and false eyelashes these days.

Too true--she really is beautiful. Those like whats-her-""baby-bump""-face--kardashinan--are so fake looking even when they dont need be. besides-im sick and tired fo her baby bump garbage. I wish she would disappear--but hope Maureen (and) Olivia de Havilland--live forever. I have to admit that Mae West was the first I had a crush on-then (and she is tied) it was: Olivia de Havilland and tied with Maureen O'Hara.

• Could be worse you could have our lot!

Guess it will be Hillary Clinton & Jeb Bush in 2016. Just think of the savings in stationery:thanksgiving:

Boy if I could pick the lotto numbers as well. Didnt take account of our wee Donald but he has a long run still to the nomination.

Where's my old sparing partner Stumpy!!

• I don't know where to put this.

YOU COULD HAVE HEARD A PIN DROP

Once upon a time when our politicians did not tend to apologize for
    our country's prior actions, here's a refresher on how some of our
    former patriots handled negative comments about our great country.

JFK'S Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when
    DeGaulle decided to pull out of NATO.

DeGaulle said he wanted all US military out of
    France as soon as possible.

Rusk responded,
    "Does that include those who are buried here?"

DeGaulle did not respond.

You could have heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When in England , at a fairly large conference,

Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury
    if our plans for Iraq were just an example of
    'empire building' by George Bush.

He answered by saying,
    "Over the years, the United States has sent many of
    its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for
    freedom beyond our borders.
    The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return
    is enough to bury those that did not return."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a conference in France
    where a number of international engineers were taking part,
    including French and American.
    During a break, one of the French engineers came back into
    the room saying, "Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done?
    He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims.
    What does he intend to do, bomb them?"

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly:
    "Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several
    hundred people;
    they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to
    shore facilities;
    they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people
    three meals a day,
    they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea
    water each day,
    and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting
    victims and injured to and from their flight deck.
    We have eleven such ships;
    how many does France have?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference
    that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian
    and French Navies
    At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with
    a large group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries.
    Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks,
    but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn
    many languages,
    Americans learn only English.
    He then asked, "Why is it that we always have to speak English in
    these conferences rather than speaking French?"

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied,
    "Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans
    arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane.
    At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in
    his carry on.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?"
    the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

The American said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible.. Americans always have to show their passports on
    arrival in France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look.
    Then, he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on
    D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchman
    to show a passport to."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Keith,
    Jim here. Been awhile. Thought I'd check this thread and see if any comments have been made about the upcoming UK vote to leave the EU. I don't know what your personal opinion is regarding this matter but I'd like to see England become English again. If those of us west of the Soviet Union and China wish to remain free, we'd better stop playing the political correctness game and start defending our countries from the idiots who want to do away with national borders.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy my old friend, how are you? Great to see you, I noticed you haven't registered in the "Active Member's" thread and I worried you may have left.

I'm for leaving the EU but it seems like it will be around 65% to 35% in favour of remaining. Immigration over here is out of control and as things stand I don't feel there is any real and tangible benefits of staying in the EU. Your president has kindly advised us that if we leave the EU we will be at the back of any queue going forward so it looks like the special relationship maybe strained.

Regards
    Robbie

Edited once, last by Robbie ().