Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 828,362 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• That's what I was thinking too about fund raising overseas!!

So now people who don't even live in the US are trying to sway future presidents with money because they think there interests will be attened to by a US president?
    That does seem very wrong indeed.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• [FONT=&quot]Subject: THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This one is a little different. Two Different Versions! Two Different Morals![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]OLD VERSION:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-------------------------------------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]MODERN VERSION:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing, "It's Not Easy Being Green."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jesse[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Jackson[/FONT][FONT=&quot] stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing, "We shall overcome."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jesse[/FONT][FONT=&quot] then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nancy[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pelosi & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hillary[/FONT][FONT=&quot] gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ant loses the case.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ant has disappeared in the snow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote[/FONT]

• It seems that Gordon's lead has almost evaportaed, he should have called an election two weeks ago when Labour was 11 points ahead of the Toeries.

• Well I've just lost a lot of respect for Gordon after he refused to call an election. I was an active Conservative at school but not with Cameron leadsing the party. I guess Brown wants him to remain there for another three years, instead of a real leader like David Davis.

• I couldn't post this anyplace BUT this thread!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An old country preacher had a teenage son, and it was getting time the boy should give some thought to choosing a profession.
    Like many young men, the boy didn't really know what he wanted to do, and he didn't seem too concerned about it. One day, while the boy was away at school, his father decided to try an experiment. He went into the boy's room and placed on his study table four objects:

a Bible
    a silver dollar
    a bottle of whisky
    and
    a Playboy magazine

"I'll just hide behind the door", the old preacher said to himself, "When he comes home from school this afternoon, I'll see which object he picks up.
    "If it's the Bible, he's going to be a preacher like me and what a blessing that would be!
    "If he picks up the dollar, he's going to be a businessman, and that would be okay, too.
    "But if he picks up the bottle, he's going to be a no-good drunkard, and, Lord, what a shame that would be. And worst of all, if he picks up that magazine he's gonna be a skirt-chasing bum."
    The old man waited anxiously, and soon heard his son's footsteps as he entered the house whistling and headed for his room. The boy tossed his books on the bed, and as he turned to leave the room he spotted the objects on the table. With curiosity in his eye, he walked over to inspect them.
    Finally, he picked up the Bible and placed it under his arm.
    He picked up the silver dollar and dropped it into his pocket.
    He uncorked the bottle and took a big drink while he admired this month's centerfold.
    "Lord have mercy", the old preacher disgustedly whispered, "He's gonna run for Congress!"

• For those of you that don't quite comprehend the financial crisis the World seems to be in, here's a link to a
    hilarious YouTube video on hedge funds, credit derivatives, SIVs, and government bailouts.

And for all of you Brits, these two gentleman have several other YouTube videos that you might find enjoyable.

BTW, if you double click on the video picture on the page linked page, it will open YouTube and then you can open the video to full screen, if you want to.
    Chester :newyear:

• HOW TO START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK

1. Create a new file folder on your computer.

2. Name it 'Hillary Rodham Clinton.'

3. Drag it to the recycle bin.

4. Empty the recycle bin.

5. Your PC will ask you, 'Do you really want to get rid of 'Hillary Rodham Clinton?'

6. Firmly Click 'Yes.'

7. Feel better instantly.

Merry (xmastree) Christmas!

• Heh heh heh, love it! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I wish some political scientist could explain how two small, relatively unimportant states like Iowa and New Hampshire have achieved such huge importance in the process of choosing an American president.

As we all have heard innumerable times, winners of the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primaries usually go on to win their respective party nomination, with a good chance at winning the ultimate prize of the Oval Office.

Why this should be so puzzles me, since I don't consider either of these states very important in the scheme of presidential elections per se. It's only in the nominating process that they're really important.
    And I don't consider either state representative of America as a whole.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I must have been clairvoyant - looks like I'm not the only one who wonders about the utterly unjustified influence that Iowa and New Hampshire wield on the presidential nominating process.

Naturally, the political hacks in those two states defend the current system, since it gives their little corners of the country a vastly disproportionate influence on the eventual outcome, not to mention huge amounts of attention by the national news pukes and mucho gelt that gets spent by the campaigns and media types.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• My mind can be dense at times. But now that you have pointed it out, Stumpy, I see what a disparity these two states have in the election process. It is apparently something that has insidiously manifested itself through the years and now no one is willing to really upset the applecart.:stunned:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"