There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 40,984 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• OK, I have finally posted the true story behind the Sons of Katie Elder in the Katie Elder area. It's long, but it's a very complex story. I'd recommend reading the referenced publications for the whole story. If anyone here will be at the Wild West History Association convention in Cody, Wyoming at the end of the month, I'll be there, too. Look me up.

Jim Pettengill

Many thanks Jim, I sure wish I was in a position to be able to look you up!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I was up on Owl Creek Pass yesterday. The road was pretty badly wash-boarded in places. Folks were camping at the turnout by the meadow. I strolled around and took some photos. Stunning scenery in person, even if you haven't seen the film you'd be impressed by the view and the mountains in the background. Lots of skunk cabbage in the field, a little damp around the edge by the fence. Fittingly enough, cow patties littered the grasses. I envied the campers that had secured this place to camp...

Visited the rocks at the top of the pass and then descended back to town to eat at the Outlaw restaurant in Ouray.

Life is good.

Edit:

By the end of our trip I also spent time in Ridgway Co, visiting the True Grit Cafe ( Painted wall from the Paddy Wagon scene) , the town Park
    ( hanging) and Chen's ( Roosters nest), as well as the courthouse in Ouray ( courtroom stairs scene).

The Paddy Wagon is on display at the intersection of Rte 550 and Rte 62 in Ridgway Co.

As many people have pointed out, a fair number of locations for this movie are pretty accessible, the only reason I didnt head to the Ross Ranch and McAlesters store locations was simply a lack of time. Really a great experience being there and I thank all who have contributed directions/ locations used for the film.

• Hi Grumpy. You may want to change your moniker to Happy. Those are fantastic images of the sites in the film. I can't imagine the kick you had lining up those photos. I envy you your experience.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Just an update: was in Colorado recently and swung by the Ridgway area. The building that was part of Chen Lees ( which of late had Barber Shop lettered on its wooden facade ) is now a restaurant called Provisions at the Barber Shop. As far as I can tell the owners make nothing made of its connection to the filming of True Grit.
    Didn't get to sample the food... http://www.provisionschef.com/

Went up Owl Creek Pass to the meadow. Pretty day as usual. Also went over Last Dollar Road towards Telluride and stopped briefly at the location of the Ross Ranch and sadly the farmhouse is boarded up and has lost its porches. The barn and other outbuildings seem in slightly better shape, but I'm afraid time and weather are slowly erasing the remaining evidence of these landmarks. :(

• That must have been a fun trip, grumpy. Did you happen to take a few pictures that you might want to share with us? :D

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Fantastic photos, grumpy! The field, Chin Lee's shop, the Saloon in which Frank Ross was shot in front of, and the prisoner wagon. Awesome! I once saw the War Wagon used in the movie by the same name. That's as close as I ever got to places and things used in a Duke film. I am envious. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Mark

• One day I'll make out there. Great photos @grumpy thanks for sharing them with us.

I actually marvel at the creativity of the film's location scouts in
    finding all of these filming sites within such a relatively compact area.

Kevin- ( and Mark and anyone else that is interested) : I urge any and all who feel this way to just do it. There are few other John Wayne films of note where the locations are as accessible to the public, and dense as this area of Colorado. Combine it with a visit to Silverton and the Durango and Silverton RR and you have 3- 4 days of scenery that anyone would enjoy, and the added bonus of the the film history. Lots of stuff for the spouse and family to enjoy as even the non film scenery is awesome.

I wouldn't expect the film structures to last a whole lot longer as both they and much of the historic mining fabric in this area of the San Juan mountains are deteriorating due to harsh climate and lack of maintenance.

At this moment one could easily see without leaving downtown Ridgway itself.

The park where the Hanging scene took place.
    The Saloon where Frank Ross was killed
    The Street where Cogburn laid the "Colts Dragoon" on Matties shoulder.
    The Undertakers
    Chen Lees ( at least the part that remains...)
    The paddy wagon.
    Interior wall of the True Grit Cafe ( was an outside wall in the film seen behind the Paddy Wagon)

Others with a little bit more distance and difficulty:

Shootout meadow ( up County Rte 10, Owl Creek Pass)
    The Sleeping Rock
    ( up County Rte 10, Owl Creek Pass)
    Location of the I've Freighted Iron Stoves scenes etc.
    Location of the camping scene ( small fire is Ranger policy..etc)
    The Ross Ranch and Homestead ( Last Dollar Road )
    The Courthouse ( Interiors - in Ouray Co. just down 550 from Ridgway.)
    The location of MacAlesters store ( off 62X off of Rte 62)
    The location of the Ferry crossing scene ( Blue Mesa Resevoir, near Ponderosa Campground in the Curecanti National Recreation Area)

There are others I have not visited, such as the Snake Pit scene towards the climax of the film. Its outside of Ouray on the way to the Camp Bird mine.

It is perhaps a 5.5 hour drive from the Denver Airport.

• Hello and welcome to the board, gman195674! I really enjoyed your 1st post. To compare the 50 year difference between the series of pics was fun.

Mark