Ummmm, ummmm good

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,540 times. The latest Post () was by gt12pak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• There are certain dishes I regard as "comfort" food during cold weather. Chief among these are homemade beef stew and chicken 'n' dumplins'. Our friends across the pond and maybe even a lot of Americans may not be familiar with the second dish, which is one of my favorite foods. I had it this evening, 'cause it's colder'n heck out right now.

My wife (who couldn't even boil water when we first married 46 years ago), has become an excellent cook, thanks to my dearly departed mama and grandma. For 3 or 4 days I've been hinting I was ready for some chicken 'n dumplins' so this morning she decided to make me some. She simmers a whole chicken in water all day (with some small chunks of celery) until the meat just falls off the bones. She then removes the bones from the pot and adds chunks of store-bought biscuits to the broth and chicken, bringing the mixture to a slow boil. After the biscuit chunks have cooked awhile (usually about 15 minutes), she turns off the heat and lets the chicken 'n dumplins' just set for a few minutes while the dumplins' absorb some of the broth. Then we chow down. Ummmm, ummmm good. :hyper:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Man that is good stuff... I am not much of a cook, but I am going to try a (I think it is banquet) Slow cooker meal, it is in the frozen food isle, Chicken and dumplins. I will let you know how it turns out. I know it won't be as good as homemade, but I hope it is close.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• I have heard of Chicken and dumplings once before and that was from 'True Grit'. In that movie Mattie Ross referred to the 'dumplings' as being flour and grease and a man at the table told Campbell that the chicken and dumpling will hurt his eyes, hurt his eyes looking for the chicken.

I have never tried this type of food although I wouldn't mind as your description of it sounded appetising, I wonder has anyone else on the side of the pond tried 'Chicken and Dumplings'.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Stumpy,

Ooooh, that does set the taste buds to a'tinglin' . . . . Sunday evenings are usually soup and toast nights, but I'm thinking of going to get some chicken tomorrow and you know what's coming for dinner tomorrow night . . . .

Yes, Robbie, we have had Chicken and Dumplings, and if it's made right, you sure don't hurt your eyes looking for the chicken, because there are plenty of big, tender chunks of it, and that yummy broth/gravy and those dumplings . . .:pizza:

Chester :newyear:

• You People are Making Me Hungry !!!
    Stumpy, I make it almost the same way, but I make up my Grandmothers Sour Dough Biscuit Makings, and Spoon-In about 2 inch Balls of the Biscuit Dough in the last 30 Minutes of cooking, and Last But Not the Least Two Shots of "Lumbre Habanero" Hot Sauce.:ohmy:

Grandmother always said this was one of the Great Food Staples of the Old South and the Old Southwest after Church on Sunday, in the Late 1800s and the Early 1900s ! :teeth_smile:

Bill :cowboy:

• My grandma made her dumplings from scratch, Bill (which was the same recipe as her biscuits, and her biscuits were the best I've ever tasted), but my Mom began using those store-bought biscuits because "it was easier" and my wife just went along with my Mom's teachings. Some women have told my wife they even use flour tortillas for the dumplings.

I'm not sure I'd like the hot sauce in my chicken and dumplins'. I may try it.

Talking about food staples - I'm not a "fancy" eater. As mentioned, chicken 'n dumplings and beef stew are two of my favorite foods, especially in cold weather. I also love a good pot of beans with cornbread. My wife fills a crockpot with pinto beans, water and a hambone, cooks it all night and all the next day until the mixture is just a thick soup. Then she makes some of those cornbread muffins to go with the beans and man, do I pig out. That's another one of my "comfort" foods.

• Man that is good stuff... I am not much of a cook, but I am going to try a (I think it is banquet) Slow cooker meal, it is in the frozen food isle, Chicken and dumplins. I will let you know how it turns out. I know it won't be as good as homemade, but I hope it is close.

You will not go wrong eating Banquet Chicken-n-Dumplings. They are good but cannot match it when made from scratch. They no longer carry it in my area for some reason >:-(( but if they ever did start to again, i'd have it at least once a week. :pizza:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• How about some Lutefisk and lefse???

Just kidding, my wife's grandpa loves lutefisk and when I 1st met my wife I went to Christmas and they sat me right beside her grandpa(I know it sounds like a movie, but it happened that way) and flopped a couple pieces of lutefisk on my plate, the smell was awful and I had to smother it in butter and salt and pepper. Man, that stuff is gross. Thank god for lefse, that will clean off the taste buds!!

As for chicken and dumplings, I think my mom made it once but I am not sure. Its not a big thing up here in the north country, hehehehe! But it sounds really good the way you guys are describing it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• WOW! Now that's good food. We in the south have Chicken-n-Dumpling's too. I've had homemade dumplings but we buy the noodles and if done right you can't tell the difference form the homemade. I like them a lot, but don't get it very often. Oh well, I'll see if I can get some in the next couple of days. We had some with Turkey-n-Dumplings just a month ago.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Stumpy, You started this Ummmm, ummmm good thing.
    And for the rest of you people that like the Foods of the Old West.

Back in the late 1960s my Wife and I did a few Cookbooks on Foods of the Old Southwest, and one of the things that most people wanted to know about was Sour Dough and how to use it.

We put in One Chapter on Sour Dough in one of the Books called "If You Like it Hot" and It tells you how to Make and Use Sour Dough.

It is Great to make things like Chicken and Dumpling, Pancakes, Sour Dough French Bread and Sour Dough Biscuits from Sratch, or if you want to Cheat a little you can use "Bisquick" and Use "Sour Dough Starter" in place of the Milk that it calls for on the Box to make "Sour Dough Biscuit Dough" for your
    Chicken and Dumplings !

I gave some of Grandmother's Sour Dough Starter that Her Mother had Started over 150 Years Ago, to Pat Stacy and She said that Duke Loved the things that She and His House Keeper "Rosa" made with the Sour Dough Starter.

You can Go To The Site Below to see how to make Your Starter.

Bill :cowboy:

• So . . . "enquiring minds want to know" - what exactly is (are?) lutefisk and lefse???

Mrs. C :angel1:

I figured it was some kind of fish dish and sure 'nuff it is! I imagine lefse is similar.

I'm not a big fan of fish, except occasionally I like some fried catfish (very crunchy).

• Oh, Stumpy, why didn't I think of just doing a little search?? You are so smart!

Lutefisk sounds nasty:thumbs_down: with all that lye in it. Did you notice the phrase "to make the fish edible"? What was wrong with it to begin with? I've heard carp is hard to fix, but lutefisk sounds much more complicated. A lot of trouble for something icky - I don't get it.

Chester says that even with his Norwegian heritage, he'll pass on this one.

Now, back to the topic . . . GOOD stuff . . . your post has inspired me to go buy some chicken and in the next day or two, I think we'll have to have some chicken and dumplings, too.

I also wanted to mention that I have a couple of Chilibill's cookbooks, and we have really enjoyed the offerings! Ummmm, ummmm good!!!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Lutefisk and lefse? Imagine finding people discussing this here. Well I'll stay away from the lutefisk myself. Lefse however is something completely different. It is not a main course. It sort of reminds you of a tortilla, but made out of potatoes.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Lefse is quit good. We always haev it around the holidays and we put butter and white sugar. My dad loves it with brown sugar. There are also alot more things to do with it as well. you can read more about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefse

As far as lutefisk goes, it is down right nasty in my opinion. I will not touch after my one and only experience with it. Not ever!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• How about some Lutefisk and lefse???

Just kidding, my wife's grandpa loves lutefisk and when I 1st met my wife I went to Christmas and they sat me right beside her grandpa(I know it sounds like a movie, but it happened that way) and flopped a couple pieces of lutefisk on my plate, the smell was awful and I had to smother it in butter and salt and pepper. Man, that stuff is gross. Thank god for lefse, that will clean off the taste buds!!

As for chicken and dumplings, I think my mom made it once but I am not sure. Its not a big thing up here in the north country, hehehehe! But it sounds really good the way you guys are describing it.

Most of my ancestors were Norwegian, and they all would be disappointed in me because I can't stand fish. And Todd, I definately can attest to what you said about Lutefisk. My current roommate tried making some a few years ago and stank up the entire area. What the smell reminds me of is something in between boiling burnt tires and sewage.

On the Chicken-n-Dumplings front, you cannot go wrong with that dish. If I could ever get a store around here to start carrying the Banquet version again, i'd be glad to send you some.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I'm not a big fan of fish,

One change - I love scallops.

What's funny is that when the wife and I got married (1960), she didn't like seafood of any kind, I think because she'd never eaten much of it. We were in the NCO Club at Hickam AFB one night about '62 or '63 - I ordered lobster for myself and a steak for her. During the course of our meal, I talked her into trying a bite of my lobster. Ever since then, she's been totally nuts about seafood of any kind except, you guessed it, scallops.