Ummmm, ummmm good

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,492 times. The latest Post () was by gt12pak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I prefer mayonnaise on hamburgers, and mustard on hot dogs.
    I've even substituted blue cheese dressing for mayo on a hamburger,
    now that's Ummmm, ummmm good.

Chester :newyear:

To each their own, Jim. Tastes are subjective, as you know. In everything from food to movies. :ohmy:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• 'Tis true about differing tastes.

For example, with our little hot dog cart, it is interesting the different "populations" and their tastes. When we set up at the farmers' market, very few folks use mayonnaise. We have little packets of mayo, and we go through maybe half a dozen a month. At our other location, however, there is a much higher Hispanic clientele, and boy, do they go for the mayo on a dog! We go through dozens of packets a week (just one day a week at that location, soon to expand to three). And many of those who use the mayo put jalapenos on, too. Obviously a cultural thing.

Chicago style hot dogs traditionally don't have any ketchup, just mustard, onions, and tomatoes, along with a liberal sprinkle of celery salt.

• I don't know, I still prefer, the old frankfurter, type
    Hot-Dog, in a roll,with diced fried onions, with plenty of Ketchup,
    now that's another YUM!

Judging from our little business, I'd say that onions and ketchup top the list for favorite condiments for most folks. We don't have the ability to fry the onions at our cart, they are just chopped fresh each day.

Ummm, ummm - LOVE those onions!!

• WOW! Carl - good food and a bevy of seven beauties all at one time! I'm jealous!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Hi Jay, what had happened was:

I was friends with several nice-looking gals and I was going to take four of them to lunch one time. While we were on the way to Pizza Hut, the other three glas I knew were walking down a street and we all inquired if they wanted to join us--which they agreed.

We arrived at Pizza Hut at about noon and went in. The place was a bit crowded and we wer placed ata large table next to one that had several Sailors eating at - who were from NAS Kingsville. Every single one of them freaked out that I was with seven pretty gals and we all knew what they were thinking. We "played it to the hilt" and the gals gave me hugs and kissed my cheeks. Needless to say, I blushed and grinned like a baboon.

A few of the Sailors stared and that was when the prettiest two (one on each side of me) moved closer to me and kissed my cheeks. One of the sailors made a snide remark which only encouraged the gals even more.

Two sailors came up to the table to introduce themselves trying to get some eyefulls of the gals. Needless to say, they all left without getting any of the gals numbers.

One might ask how I could afford to pay for 8 lunches? Well, as that was about 18 years ago, the personal pan pizzas were only $1.99 each.

Anyway, it was a fun experiance. Have to cut this short as the library is closing.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Chester, I would have to agree about the differences in culture contributing to different taste. When I go home, one of the biggest sellers at the vendors is white corn that is drained and put in a cup. After that, they usually add butter, mayonaisse, a mexican hot sauce, and sour cream. I am not kidding about this. My wife and friends go crazy on this stuff. I can't even get a spoonfull down. DISGUSTING:ohmy: . With that said, it does seem popular. Bags of tortilla chips with hotsauce, queso y blanco, and lime squeezed in it goes good to. Now that I like. Pretty cool business you got going.

Now to my romeo friend Ringo. What's the secret? Good restaurants, women, and weather. I'm jealous.

Bo

• Chester, I would have to agree about the differences in culture contributing to different taste. When I go home, one of the biggest sellers at the vendors is white corn that is drained and put in a cup. After that, they usually add butter, mayonaisse, a mexican hot sauce, and sour cream. I am not kidding about this. My wife and friends go crazy on this stuff. I can't even get a spoonfull down. DISGUSTING:ohmy: . With that said, it does seem popular. Bags of tortilla chips with hotsauce, queso y blanco, and lime squeezed in it goes good to. Now that I like. Pretty cool business you got going.

{{{{
    Down here this is a popular seller: Fried & Breaded: Corn-on-the-Cob, and Smoked Corn-on-the-Cob. As Popeye said more than once: "I's cants stands its no more."
    }}}}

Now to my romeo friend Ringo. What's the secret? Good restaurants, women, and weather. I'm jealous.

Heh hee, no secret really ;-D But to make a long story short, I used to sit at the picnic table across the street from my house at the park, and I used to draw pictures for neighborhood kids. Well, I saw these two very cute gals walk past every day at the same time and we always waved at each other. Well, one day they came to the table while I was drawing and introduced themselves and made nice comments about my drawings.

Well, we became friends and we sort of made it a point to meet at that table. Well, two eventually grew to four, and four to seven. :D

I was also the most popular guy to sit with at the job I had in 2002. This place had plenty of pretty women working there and I sort of met and became friends with most of them. Well, every day before work started as well as for breaks and lunch breaks, we all met and sat at the same table. The males working at the place had the exact same attitude as those Sailors did. Needless to say, the ladies reacted the exact same way as those seven other gals did. I also used to hand out with four of these ladies. :D

If there are any secrets to this, I sure don't know what they might be. :D

• Ringo, I think we need to go have a picnic as you seem to be quite adept at attracting objects other than ants. I would have to say that my wife probably packs a sting herself.

I had this great recipe tonight. If there is anything good that has come out of my confinement here in the nasty north, its halibut. What a terrific dish. I pounded out a few fillets to about an half inch and ran the fillet through some japanese bread crumbs (Panko is a good brand). After that I ran it through some milk and egg mix and back through the bread crumbs. This is a lot like a chicken-fried steak. I fried it in olive oil for about 4 minutes each side. Take some lime (lemon is way over-rated) and squeeze it on top with some cilantro and wow, best fish. If any of you guys like a good ceviche let me know.

Bo

• Ringo, I think we need to go have a picnic as you seem to be quite adept at attracting objects other than ants. I would have to say that my wife probably packs a sting herself.

I had this great recipe tonight. If there is anything good that has come out of my confinement here in the nasty north, its halibut. What a terrific dish. I pounded out a few fillets to about an half inch and ran the fillet through some japanese bread crumbs (Panko is a good brand). After that I ran it through some milk and egg mix and back through the bread crumbs. This is a lot like a chicken-fried steak. I fried it in olive oil for about 4 minutes each side. Take some lime (lemon is way over-rated) and squeeze it on top with some cilantro and wow, best fish. If any of you guys like a good ceviche let me know.

Bo

Hi Bo, a picnic sounds good. The only bad thing is is that most of the gals I know have up and married and moved well out of the area. However, were still in a bit of luck as I know and get along very well with several of the ladies who live in my apartment complex. :D

• My wife made a real yummy Mexican lasagna last for dinner! Talk about 'comfort food' - it was three helpings later . . . and I had to wait a couple of hours before I could even think about dessert, which was a VERY yummy "dump cake". If you haven't had dump cake, you need to try it. Easy to make (you "dump" the ingredients into the pan and bake), and REAL easy to put away. The Mrs. used a real tasty mixed berry pie filling as the base. We were quite "comfort"-able last night!!

• Okay! I've held off on this board long enough! If ya'll are gonna make me gain weight, then ya'll can gain weight too. My wife makes a blueberry pie that's so good that if you put it on your forehead, your tongue would beat your brains out trying to get to it.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• GT, if your hungry, try this simple recipe (mine) for Frito Pie.

1 can (whichever size) of Wolf Brand Chili (no beans) 4 slices of American Cheese and 1 bag (depending on the size of bag and how much you want to make) of Fritos.

Empty can of Wolf Brand Chili into sauce pan along with the cheese, turn on heat and stir until chili is hot and cheese is melted. When hot to suit you, add as many Fritos as you feel comfortable with, and mix all in until the fritos are coated with chili. The Fritos I use are the chili cheese fritos which really enhances the chili flavor.

Snag a plate or bowl from the cabinet, grab a spoon from the utensils cabinet, stick spoon into said pot of frito pie, take as many spoonfuls of contents and deposit them onto your plate/bowl, grab a TV tray sitting it in front of your chair facing the TV set, sit down in chair and get comfortable, grab spoonin one of your hands - scooping up a certain portion of the contents from said plate/bowl, gently guide your hand (with the spoon) slowly towards your mouth, part the teeth and lips, slide spoon into mouth; and let the tongue and teeth do the rest. :D

Anyway, as a batchelor, I often eat these fast, easy to make cheapie meals.

• I just came across the recipe for chilibilli's chili. This is one I'm planning on trying out in the next few days. Has anybody else tried it?

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Ringo, I have fond memories of frito pie being served at every concession stand Friday nights during the football games. They used to slit open the side of a small bag of fritos and then pour the chili in followed by the cheese. In came the spork (actually a fork back then) and then garnish with whatever suited your needs. All for the amazing cost of $1. Of course a return trip was needed for the snow cone. I was the weird one that liked pickle juice poured over my ice. Only in Texas.
    Bo

• Speaking of Umm Umm Good, what will you Irishmen be having on St. Patrick's Day?

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Ringo, I have fond memories of frito pie being served at every concession stand Friday nights during the football games. They used to slit open the side of a small bag of fritos and then pour the chili in followed by the cheese. In came the spork (actually a fork back then) and then garnish with whatever suited your needs. All for the amazing cost of $1. Of course a return trip was needed for the snow cone. I was the weird one that liked pickle juice poured over my ice. Only in Texas.
    Bo

Hi Bo, I remember those too. Also, I remember that at Sonics, that you can get Frito Pie there but is much too small an amount to fill ya up. Also, the way I fix it is much much better--you get more cheese and chili. In fact, I fixed a small can of this last night, and boy it sure tasted great. :D I might even have it again tonight if im not out of Wolf brand Chili.

I can't figure that one out though? Pickle juice over ice? I won't say :stunned: but, I might say :uhoh: Also, the snow cone sounds good, I have not had one in years. I remember last year I ALMOST bought one of those snowcone making machines from Wal-Mart but didn't. I think I will this year. Get one and take it to my balcony and just sit outside eating snow cones while everyone else is sweating profusely.